Free Republic 3rd Qtr 2025 Fundraising Target: $81,000 Receipts & Pledges to-date: $40,222
49%  
Woo hoo!! And we're now at 49%!! Thank you all very much!! God bless.

Keyword: ekinci

Brevity: Headers | « Text »
  • Mullah named as suspect for Turkey blasts

    12/06/2003 4:37:07 PM PST · by Pokey78 · 4 replies · 178+ views
    The Sunday Telegraph (U.K.) ^ | 12/07/03 | Damien McElroy
    A Syrian-based mullah already wanted in Germany and Italy has emerged as a leading suspect behind the Istanbul bombings that killed 61 people, including the British consul general. Damascus-based Mohammed Majid has a long history of involvement with extremist groups in Europe and is said to have financed a string of recent terror attacks across the Middle East. He has also been linked to efforts by Islamic fundamentalists to infiltrate Iraq. British and Turkish investigators believe that Majid's network of sympathisers in Syria is sheltering five figures involved in last month's attacks on the British consulate and a branch of...
  • 15 Face Istanbul Bomb Charge

    11/24/2003 5:33:46 PM PST · by blam · 124+ views
    The Telegraph (UK) ^ | 11-25-2003 | Amberin Zaman
    15 face Istanbul bomb charge By Amberin Zaman in Istanbul (Filed: 25/11/2003) Fifteen people detained in connection with Thursday's suicide bomb attacks in Istanbul have been transferred to a state security court after being interrogated for four days. The aftermath of Thursday's bomb at the HSBC building in Istanbul Istanbul's governor, Muammer Guler, declined to identify the suspects, who were expected to be charged with "aiding and abetting terrorists". He said the suicide bomber who drove an explosives-laden lorry into the British consulate building had been identified, but he refused to name him. At least 30 people died and more...
  • Syria Repatriates 22 Suspects in Istanbul Bombings to Turkey

    11/30/2003 4:22:59 PM PST · by aculeus · 5 replies · 142+ views
    Tampa Bay on line (AP) ^ | Nov 30, 2003 | James C. Helicke Associated Press Writer
    Istanbul, Turkey (AP) - Syria handed over 22 suspects to Turkey on Sunday in connection with four deadly suicide bombings in Istanbul, the semiofficial Anatolia news agency reported. The suspects, all Turks, reportedly fled the country after the attacks, which targeted two synagogues in near-simultaneous bombings Nov. 15 and the British consulate and a British bank in twin attacks five days later. A total of 61 people were killed. Citing a statement from paramilitary police, Anatolia said the suspects included Hilmi Tuglaoglu, a close associate of Azat Ekinci, a central suspect in the blasts. News reports have named Ekinci as...