Free Republic 2nd Qtr 2026 Fundraising Target: $81,000 Receipts & Pledges to-date: $22,477
27%  
Woo hoo!! And now only $203 to reach 28%!! Thank you all for your continued support!! God bless.

Keyword: africa

Brevity: Headers | « Text »
  • US doctor infected with Ebola 'feels good' and is able to eat, colleague says

    05/20/2026 6:24:20 PM PDT · by Red Badger · 13 replies
    ABC News ^ | May 20, 2026 | Morgan Winsor, David Brennan, Youri Benadjaoud, and Mary Kekatos
    The American doctor who contracted Ebola and was transferred to Germany is starting to feel better and is able to eat, according to his colleague. Dr. Peter Stafford is currently hospitalized in Berlin's Charite University Hospital after testing positive for the disease due to his work in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. His colleague, Matt Allison -- the executive director of Serge, the Christian missionary group Stafford works for -- told ABC News that the doctor has been receiving monoclonal antibodies during his hospitalization. Allison said it appears Stafford's condition has improved since landing in Germany and that he...
  • American doctor with Ebola flown to Germany as his wife and children are monitored [May not survive]

    05/20/2026 7:01:35 AM PDT · by Red Badger · 56 replies
    NBC News ^ | May 20, 2026 | Maggie Vespa and Denise Chow
    By the time an American surgeon who contracted Ebola in Congo was flown to Germany for treatment Tuesday, he was barely able to stand on his own, according to two leaders of the Christian missionary group with which he worked. Dr. Scott Myhre, East and Central Africa area director for the group Serge, described the scene as Dr. Peter Stafford departed. “There were people in full — we call it PPE — the personal protective equipment, and they’re completely covered, and he’s hanging on them barely strong enough to walk,” Myhre said. “He looked really tired and really sick.” Stafford,...
  • Ebola deaths rise sharply as outbreak’s ‘scale and speed’ worry WHO chief [131!]

    05/19/2026 5:39:30 AM PDT · by Red Badger · 40 replies
    NBC News ^ | May 19, 2026 | Alexander Smith
    At least 131 people are believed to have died and 531 infected in the outbreak, according to health authorities in central Africa. An American missionary was among those who tested positive for the deadly disease. VIDEO AT LINK.......... The death toll from an Ebola outbreak in central Africa rose sharply Tuesday, with the head of the World Health Organization expressing concern over the “scale and speed of the epidemic.” At least 131 people are believed to have died and 531 suspected to have been infected in the latest outbreak, according to the Congolese Health Ministry. An American missionary was among...
  • Report: At Least Six Americans Exposed to Ebola in DR Congo

    05/18/2026 2:25:42 PM PDT · by Red Badger · 16 replies
    Breitbart ^ | May 18, 2026 | John Hayward
    CBS News reported on Sunday that least six American citizens have been exposed to Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Three of them encountered a “high-risk contact or exposure” and one is displaying symptoms of illness. The CBS report was based on “sources with international aid organizations.” The sources said it was unclear if any of the Americans had been infected with Ebola. Even the symptomatic case might not be a confirmed infection, since Ebola shares early symptoms with other ailments, including muscle pains, skin rashes, fever, nosebleeds, and vomiting blood. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control...
  • WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Central Africa a public health emergency after 80 suspected deaths (update. was 65 deaths)

    05/17/2026 5:54:49 AM PDT · by dynachrome · 24 replies
    Fox ^ | 5-17-26 | Michael Sinkewicz
    The World Health Organization declared an Ebola outbreak in Central Africa an international public health emergency on Sunday after dozens of suspected deaths were reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring Uganda. The outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency, the WHO said. The declaration follows reports of 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases as of Saturday across at least three health zones in the Democratic Republic of Congo, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.
  • Trump says U.S. has killed Islamic State leader in Nigeria

    05/16/2026 5:59:24 AM PDT · by Red Badger · 16 replies
    CBS News ^ | May 16, 2026 | Joe Walsh
    President Trump announced Friday evening that U.S. and Nigerian military forces had killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a leader of the Islamic State group, in a "meticulously planned and very complex mission." Mr. Trump described al-Minuki as the Islamic State's second-in-command globally and "the most active terrorist in the world." "He will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans," Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social. "With his removal, ISIS's global operation is greatly diminished." The Nigerian president's office also confirmed the operation, and said that "early assessments confirm the elimination" of al-Minuki. "Several of his...
  • Confirmed Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo Surpasses 200 Suspected Infections

    05/15/2026 11:51:18 AM PDT · by dynachrome · 36 replies
    Breitbart ^ | 5-15-26 | John Hayward
    The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a statement on Friday that attributed 246 suspected infections and 65 deaths to a new Ebola outbreak in the remote Ituri province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Africa CDC said it was convening an emergency meeting with health officials from the DRC, Uganda, South Sudan, and other global partners to coordinate a response to the outbreak, including cross-border surveillance of the possible spread of the deadly disease. The statement said most of the infections to date have been reported from two areas within the Ituri province, Mongwalu and...
  • More Than 80 Christians Slaughtered in North-Eastern D. R. Congo

    05/14/2026 8:10:56 PM PDT · by Uncle Miltie · 21 replies
    Barnabas Aid ^ | 5/12/26
    Islamist terrorists have claimed the killing of more than 80 Christians in several armed assaults in north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). In the deadliest attack, an estimated 60 “Christian combatants” were killed by fighters from Islamic State Central Africa Province (ISCAP) in a May 5 attack in Beni Territory on the border of North Kivu and Ituri provinces. In recent months, Islamic State propaganda has used the word “combatants” to describe Christians who have refused to accept either conversion to Islam or dhimmi status as subjugated people. In classical Islam, those who accept such a status must pay...
  • Zimbabwe to return land Mugabe seized from white farmers

    05/13/2026 9:56:40 PM PDT · by Cronos · 45 replies
    Msn ^ | 10th May 2026
    Zimbabwe will return dozens of foreign-owned farms seized more than two decades ago during a land reform drive, but is not reversing the contested policy, the agriculture minister said Friday. The land grab was launched by longtime ruler Robert Mugabe in 2000, with thousands of white farmers evicted, often violently, and their land redistributed to black Zimbabweans The government will return 67 farms covered by bilateral investment pacts "but which remained un-occupied" to the investors, Agriculture Minister Anxious Masuka said in a statement. The investors are from Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland. More than 400 white farmers would be...
  • Over Half Million Migrants Waiting in Libya to Cross Into Europe, Warns Greek Immigration Minister

    05/10/2026 9:28:44 PM PDT · by MinorityRepublican · 46 replies
    Breitbart ^ | May 10, 2026 | Kurt Zindulka
    The Greek government has warned that there are over half a million migrants waiting in Libya to cross the Mediterranean and land in Europe, sparking concerns of another migrant crisis. Greek Migration Minister Thanos Plevris said this week that Athens estimates there are approximately 550,000 migrants waiting in Libya, the African hub, for the opportunity to cross to Europe. Among the policies enacted by Athens to stem the tide of illegals has been the erection of a 41-kilometre (25-mile) wall along the Turkish border, which has previously been weaponised by the Islamist Erdogan government in Ankara. Pelvris said that Athens...
  • Ignoring Iran’s Expanding Proxy Network

    05/10/2026 5:51:17 AM PDT · by MtnClimber · 29 replies
    American Thinker ^ | 10 May, 2026 | Julio Rivera
    There are moments in American foreign policy when the warning signs are flashing so brightly that failing to act becomes its own form of negligence. This is one of those moments. Senator Ted Cruz and his fellow sponsors of S. 4063 are not engaging in political theater. They are responding to a gathering national security threat that too many in Washington have either underestimated or deliberately ignored for years: the growing cooperation between the Polisario Front and Iranian-backed terrorist networks operating across North Africa and beyond. The Senate should move quickly to advance this legislation. Not because it is politically...
  • New Details Released On Missing U.S. Soldiers In Morocco

    05/05/2026 12:01:31 PM PDT · by Red Badger · 6 replies
    100 Percent Fed Up ^ | May 05, 2026 | Staff
    We have an update on the missing U.S. soldiers in Morocco. As WLT Report previously reported, two U.S. service members went missing during African Lion 2026, the annual training operation led by the U.S. Africa Command. Now, new details have emerged regarding how the soldiers went missing. According to an exclusive report by CBS News, one of the soldiers, while on a hike, fell into the ocean and, in an effort to save the soldier who fell, another soldier jumped into the ocean to rescue him, but was also swept away. CBS News provided exclusive details on how the soldiers...
  • 2 US service members reported missing in Morocco

    05/03/2026 9:58:19 AM PDT · by BenLurkin · 17 replies
    ktla ^ | May 3, 2026 | Ashleigh Fields, The Hill
    The two service members were reported missing Saturday near the Cap Draa Training Area by Tan Tan, a city in southwestern Morocco, according to Africom. U.S. and Moroccan forces have completed search and rescue operations on the ground, in the air, and using maritime assets. The two service members were participating in African Lion, Africom’s largest annual joint exercise, designed to “strengthen interoperability” among U.S. forces, NATO allies, and African partner nations, according to the Army. The exercise is hosted by Morocco, Ghana, Senegal, and Tunisia.
  • South African Ex-Pat Is So Grateful for Being in America

    05/04/2026 7:58:10 AM PDT · by Red Badger · 26 replies
    Rumble Via Liberty Daily ^ | May 04, 2026 | Staff
    1 Minute video at link............
  • Africa Is Splitting Apart Faster Than We Thought, Forming a New Ocean

    04/30/2026 9:40:01 PM PDT · by Red Badger · 23 replies
    Science Alert ^ | May 01, 2026 | Michael Irving
    Geologists have discovered that the African continent will split apart sooner than we thought. An active rift has reached a "critical threshold" and will soon break apart, forming a new ocean. That said, 'soon' is a relative term – it'll still take a few million years more, but that's a blink of an eye on a geological scale. "We found that rifting in this zone is more advanced, and the crust is thinner, than anyone had recognized," says Christian Rowan, a geoscientist at Columbia University. "Eastern Africa has progressed further in the rifting process than previously thought." The most intriguing...
  • South Africa Now Hunting Down African Immigrants, Asking Them To Leave.

    04/30/2026 4:19:14 PM PDT · by BFW · 9 replies
    Youtube ^ | Apr 28, 2026 | Mody Speaks
    South Africa Now Hunting Down African Immigrants, Asking Them To Leave.
  • Meta in row after workers who say they saw smart glasses users having sex lose jobs

    04/30/2026 6:01:26 AM PDT · by BenLurkin · 27 replies
    bbc ^ | 04/30/2026 | Chris Vallance
    In February, workers at the company, Sama, told two Swedish newspapers they had witnessed glasses users going to the toilet and having sex. Less than two months later, Meta ended its contract with Sama, which Sama said would result in 1,108 workers being made redundant. Meta says it's because Sama did not meet its standards, a criticism Sama rejects. A Kenyan workers' organisation alleges Meta's decision was caused by the staff speaking out. Meta has not addressed that allegation but told BBC News in a statement it had "decided to end our work with Sama because they don't meet our...
  • Mali military leader Goita emerges as Russia declares it halted coup

    04/29/2026 10:03:50 AM PDT · by BenLurkin · 7 replies
    aljazeera.com ^ | 28 Apr 2026
    The news release came after Russia said earlier in the day that it was seeking stability in the country, in which it has won significant influence since Goita’s military government took power in a coup in 2021. West Africa’s al-Qaeda affiliate and the Tuareg separatist group on Saturday hit Mali’s main army base and the area near Bamako’s airport, while driving Russian soldiers – deployed in support of government forces – out of Kidal in the north. ... The same day, the Russian Ministry of Defence issued a statement declaring that its paramilitary forces had ‌‌helped prevent a coup during...
  • United Arab Emirates to quit oil cartel Opec

    04/28/2026 7:45:17 AM PDT · by yesthatjallen · 14 replies
    BBC ^ | 04 28 2026 | Nick Edserand Archie Mitchell
    The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is quitting the Opec and Opec+ groups of major oil producing nations next month after nearly 60 years of membership. The UAE said its decision would help it meet growing global energy demand in the long term after recent investments to boost its production capacity. It is seen as a blow to the cartel, with one analyst describing the exit as "the beginning of the end of Opec". The Gulf state's energy minister said being a country with no obligation under the groups would give it more flexibility. Opec was formed in 1960 by five...
  • United Arab Emirates leaving OPEC, effective May 1

    04/28/2026 5:52:39 AM PDT · by TexasGunLover · 15 replies
    CNBC ^ | Tue, Apr 28 20268:31 AM EDT | Spencer Kimball Emma Graham
    The United Arab Emirates announced Tuesday that it will exit OPEC on May 1. “This decision follows a comprehensive review of the UAE’s production policy and its current and future capacity and is based on our national interest and our commitment to contributing effectively to meeting the market’s pressing needs,” the UAE energy ministry said in a statement.