Posted on 10/02/2020 6:20:03 PM PDT by SeekAndFind
The White House said Friday that President Donald Trump remains fatigued after contracting COVID-19 and has been injected with an experimental antibody cocktail for the virus that has killed more than 205,000 Americans and spread to the highest reaches of the U.S. government.
Trumps physician, Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley, revealed on Friday the commander-in-chief received a dose of an experimental antibody cocktail by Regeneron that is in clinical trials.
He completed the infusion without incident, Dr. Conley said in the statement.
Dr. Conley said Trump remains fatigued but in good spirits and that a team of experts was evaluating both the president and first lady in regard to next steps.
Trump is also taking zinc, Vitamin D, melatonin and other medications.
The first lady, who is 50, has a mild cough and headache, Conley reported, and the remainder of the first family, including the Trumps son Barron, who lives at the White House, tested negative.
In a statement late Friday, Regeneron confirmed Trump was provided the REGN-COV2 antibody cocktail as part of a compassionate use request, which is when the Food and Drug Administration allows for unapproved treatments to be made available to treat ill patients when no other treatment is available.
The companys compassionate use program defines it as being intended for patients with serious or life-threatening conditions who do not have any viable or available treatment options, and are unable to participate in ongoing clinical trials.
What is Regeneron polyclonal antibody cocktail?
Trump is receiving a two-antibody combo drug thats currently in late-stage studies from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc. The company previously developed a successful treatment for Ebola using a similar approach.
Its given as a one-time treatment through an IV.
Trumps physician, Dr. Sean Conley, said the drug was being given as a precautionary measure, and that Trump also was taking zinc, vitamin D, an antacid called famotidine, melatonin and aspirin. None of those have been proven to be effective against COVID-19.
Trump apparently is not receiving hydroxychloroquine, a drug he widely promoted that has been shown in many studies to be ineffective for preventing or treating COVID-19.
Released earlier this week, the first data from a trial using Regenerons COVID-19 antibody cocktail is encouraging. The top dose of the treatment relieved symptoms more quickly than the placebo for patients not sick enough to be hospitalized.
The initial phase included 275 patients in the phased study. The most significant improvements were seen in patients who had not already mounted a natural response, the company said.
Jeanne Marrazzo, the director of the division of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, told CNN the results appear very promising.
The company said the treatment is intended as a therapeutic substitute for a natural response to the virus. According to a news release, Regeneron said it is hoping to confirm their initial findings in a second group of patients.
What I think is fascinating is that it shows that antibodies really matter and the antibody to the spike protein was really helpful, particularly when people made the antibodies themselves, said Marrazzo. Whether its antibody therapy or vaccine that target these proteins, it sounds like we are on the right track. I think thats really encouraging.
Antibodies are proteins the body makes when an infection occurs; they attach to a virus and help it be eliminated. The blood of survivors is being tested as a treatment for COVID-19 patients because it contains such antibodies, but the strength and types of antibodies varies depending on each donor, and doing this on a large scale is impractical.
The drugs that Regeneron and other companies are testing are concentrated versions of specific antibodies that worked best against the coronavirus in lab and animal tests, and can be made in large, standardized doses.
They are being tested to treat newly diagnosed COVID-19 patients in hope of preventing serious disease or death, and to try to prevent infection in people at high risk of that such as nursing home residents and health workers.
Might be a physical reason why he isn’t taking it versus the claims I am seeing here that it doesn’t work.
From the manufacturer:
Couldn’t you find a more slanted article? Lol.
trump now on Remdesivir. First dose.
p
You are on a posting roll tonight, thank you.
He is taking it. Earlier I saw the entire protocol Trump is following. I am too tired to locate it right now but anyone who wants to see it, freepmail me and tomorrow I’ll find it.
I’m high risk due to age/health, all I take is D3 and 30 mg Zinc. Firm believer in vitamin/minerals.
Its high fat medium protein and vegetables.
Standard Merican diets is much better.
Famotidine is pepcid. I take it everyday.
I'm with you on that one, but from a slightly different angle, from personal experience with my 90 y/o Mom. She's certainly not "gone" from dementia, or anything like that, yet, but, I swear, she'd try to subsist on dill pickles, mac'n cheese, doughnuts, hard candy, and root beer floats, if we let her... I almost wonder if it's a subconscious wish to just end it all, even tho' she says she's not in pain (this does depend on a very modest prescription of Norco), she is in reasonably good condition for her age, and so on.
Then again, it could be a desire by some to return to one's teen years... ;-)
My sister’s rhuematologist told her that she recently treated one of her patients with HCQ, zinc and Also. In 4-5 days he was practically cured.
My wife is a retired nurse and was a department head for many years at multi-level care facilities. She also taught nutrition classes to staff, residents and was even contracted by the military for “fat boy” programs. I volunteered at the places that she was working at. It was not uncommon for residents to have poor dietary habits even when they had a care plan that included their nutritional needs. It’s the old “leading a horse to water” but not being able to get it to drink situation.
Young people can typically get away with poor nutrition for decades; it may be detrimental to their overall health and well being but it ususally doesn’t kill them. Old folks who decide to go on some sort of fad diet can litterally just drop over dead after a few months. I worry about few here who seem to be in cognitive decline who advocate various diets that focus mostly on cutting out carbohydrates. I have seen it repeatedly and it almost never ends well.
My own mother is a retired RN. She was always a very beautiful woman and often still obsesses over maintaining her weight. She makes choices about what she will eat based on maintining her figure and not her nutricianal needs. Unfortunately, she and my dad are both hunched over and shuffle around like typical oldsters despite being very active at one time. Most of this is old age but part of it has to do with their poor diets.
My wife just reminded me that we all lose a great deal of our sense of taste and smell as we age. So sweets and foods with strong flavors aften appeal to older folks much more than they did when we are younger.
Trump should say that he is letting himself be a guinea pig for the new drugs that he has fast tracked. It would not be fair to let everyone else be at risk and not him.
The odd(?) thing about my Mom is that she was quite good about eating a generally good diet for many, many years. After she hit 87 or so, that went downhill and the slope just keeps increasing...
a drug he widely promoted that has been shown in many studies to be ineffective >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is a statement that is untrue.No scientific study has been successfully completed to show that HCQ does not work.
The censorship of HCQ is political , not scientific.
Some physicians who use HCQ with great success have had their HCQ supplies cut off at the state level..
Read Dr. Zelenko’s reports on HCQ,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VnBudq0f0dPtsJRZrRt3XiBDZAYvjlTR/view
and also read the articles by Yale University Harvey A Risch.
This article is a good summary:
“The Politics of Hydroxychloroquine and Other Commentary”
My parents are about the same age and their diet has gone to crap lately as well. They were going to the YMCA every day and exercising for over an hour up until the coronavirus lockdown shut it down. And they were preparing their own meals at home. After the shut down they basically switched to eating Taco Bell and McDonalds every day, supplemented with various goodies that have little nutritional value.
They have always been very social and their church was shut down. I think inactivity, and lack of contact with others has really zapped their motivation to take care of themselves. In the last six months they have transformed from healthy, robust looking people for their age to fragile looking hunched over oldsters who have a hard time getting around and look like they are unstable and ready to fall over at any moment.
I do believe that the lock down is killing them.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.