Skip to comments.The Book of SCOTTISH Proverbs
Posted on 01/07/2023 5:47:19 AM PST by DUMBGRUNT
The Book of SCOTTISH Proverbs
1. A day without sunshine is like night.
2. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
3. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
4. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
5. Remember, half the people you know are below average.
6. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
7. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
8. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
9. Support bacteria. They're the only culture most people have.
10. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
The early bird might get the worm but what did the early worm get?
Can we be Scottish, there’s no swearin
“You’re born in pain, you live in fear, you die alone. Merry Christmas.” Traditional Scottish Christmas greeting.
This is hilarious. Are these really Scottish proverbs or a product of someone’s fertile imagination? First good chuckle I have had in a while!
—”Are these really Scottish proverbs”
My great^6 grandfather came out of the Highlands and I received it from one of my kin... possible, not probable.
But fun, just the same.
"Its nah bad!"
Or when you say something like this on visiting your friends new house!
"Aye, its a beautiful new front door, but you'll nah be able to get a coffin out of it!
The blacksmith of a Scottish village came second in a local spelling bee. Leaving the competition, he was overheard to say, “How was I to know that ‘oss piss was spelled a-u-s-p-i-c-e?!”
I heard (from my Scottish grandfather, and later my father):
YE MAKE A BETTER DOOR THAN WINDA (window)!!
Said if one of us kids was standing in front of the TV.
Scottish proverb ping!
“Scotch” ??? LOL!
In the circles I traveled in, we said it thusly, “Never tell anyone your troubles. 75% don’t care; and the other 25% think it’s funny!”
“If it’s not Scottish, it’s crap!”
The Scottish Parliament just voted to have all the cars switch to driving on the right side of the road, like elsewhere in Europe, on a trial basis.
They say if it works out, they’ll vote to have the trucks do so as well.
Scottish Proverbs at Proverbicals.com
For the cunning linguists oot there we have Wikiquote's Scottish Gaelic proverbs with translations.
Someone was prescient about our current government when they wrote "There never was a five-pound note but there was a ten-pound road for it."
Review Laphroaig Scotch Whiskey
I do not like the taste of iodine so no Scotch.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.