Skip to comments.Does the Left Hate America?
Posted on 11/19/2019 4:50:46 AM PST by Kaslin
Whenever leftists are charged with not loving or even with hating America, they respond angrily, labeling the question absurd, mean-spirited and an example of right-wing McCarthyism.
But there can be little doubt that the left has no love for America, just as there can be little doubt that liberals and conservatives love America. Love of America is one of the many dividing lines between liberalism and leftism. (For a description of six differences between liberalism and leftism, please see my PragerU video "Left or Liberal?")
Here are six reasons to believe the left hates America:
1. No one denies that the international left -- the left in Europe, Asia, Latin America and elsewhere -- hates America. Therefore, in order to argue that American leftists do not hate America, one would have to argue that on one of the most fundamental principles of international leftism -- hatred of America -- American leftists differ with fellow leftists around the world: All the world's left hates the U.S., but the American left loves it.
This, of course, makes no sense. Leftists around the world agree on every important issue. Why, then, would they differ with regard to America? Has any leftist at The New York Times, for example, written one column critical of the international left's anti-Americanism?
2. Leftists want to "fundamentally transform" the United States. Five days before the 2008 presidential election, candidate Barack Obama told a huge audience in Columbia, Missouri, "We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America."
More recently, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren announced that she plans to "fundamentally transform our government," that America needs "big, structural change" and that her proposed Accountable Capitalism Act would bring about "fundamental change."
Likewise, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said earlier this year, "We're going to try to transform the United States of America," and last month he said, "This campaign is about fundamental change."
Examples are legion.
So, here's a question: How can one claim to love what one wishes to fundamentally transform?
The answer is obvious: It isn't possible.
If a man were to confide to you that he wants to fundamentally transform his wife, would you assume he loves his wife? If a woman were to tell you she wants to fundamentally transform her husband, would you assume she loves him? Of course not.
3. Leftists have contempt for the American flag.
I am unaware of a single left-wing individual or organization that has condemned NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick for refusing to stand for the flag during the playing or singing of the national anthem that precedes NFL games. To the contrary, on the left, he is universally regarded as a hero. Indeed, Nike anointed him as one, making him its brand model.
Leftists might respond that Kaepernick's public refusal to stand for the flag and national anthem says nothing about his love for America, as it is only a form of protest against racial injustice. But that is nonsense. Would leftists argue that anyone who publicly refuses to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day really loves Dr. King?
4. Leftists routinely describe America as racist, sexist, xenophobic, imperialist, genocidal, homophobic, obsessed with money and morally inferior to most Western European countries. No moral person could love such a place. As one person commenting on a Paul Krugman column wrote, "Does loving your country mean you love or ignore the fact that we destroyed Iraq, shot down an Iranian commercial airliner, and waged a brutal war in Asia for reasons that today make no sense?"
5. America is the most successful country in world history -- while being the most committed to capitalism and remaining the most religious of all the industrialized democracies. To the extent that America is great, that means two of the institutions the left most loathes -- Christianity and capitalism -- are also great.
6. Love is, among other things, an emotion. So, here is a question about leftists' emotions: Do any leftists get the chills when the national anthem is played or when they see the American flag waving as the anthem is played? Given their rhetoric, it is most unlikely. Yet, every person I know who loves America does get a chill at such moments. Do leftists, as opposed to some liberals and conservatives, display the flag on any national holiday? How many leftists even own a flag?
Finally, if leftists do not love America, what do they love?
According to their own rhetoric, they love the planet -- Mother Earth, as they frequently refer to it. And they love animals.
They really love power, and they claim to love material equality.
They don't love Western culture -- and they now dismiss praise for it as a euphemism for white supremacy.
Interestingly, while they often claim to love humanity, many don't seem to love people. They give less charity and volunteer less time to the downtrodden than conservatives, for example. They have much less interest in having children and making families. They are far more likely than conservatives to cut off relations with friends or relatives with whom they differ politically. And if they really loved people, they would love capitalism because only capitalism has lifted billions of people from poverty.
But most of all, they love ... themselves.
Of course they despise America... and they admit to as much.
You must have read the Tipsheet column by Beth Bauman.
You precisely and succinctly presented the reality
The distinction between the left and liberals is lost on me I guess.
The left hate america but liberals love it?
Maybe. I dunno. I kind thought they were the same thing at this point.
Though there is a difference between republicans and conservatives.
But conservative and the right pretty much mean the same thing.
No, I think liberals hate the country too.
Is water wet?
Does a bear sh!t in the woods?
Is the Pope a communist?
Is the Pope’s ass watertight? (probably not)
As sure as the sun sets in the west.
"I love humanity! It's people I can't stand!"
-- Linus van Pelt
You don't get it do you, Mr. Prager?
The woman thinks she is doing it out of love.
It is ingrained a woman's DNA to change the man she "loves." If he doesn't capitulate to her "loving" efforts to change him, there is something wrong with him. Her mantra is "if you really loved me, you would do this." There is no argument.
This is akin the classic leftist viewpoint: "I'm right on this (my vision for America), and if you disagree with me, there is something wrong with you."
This piece was well-stated logic. The left loves the America they are dreaming into existence. That would be an America without the likes of us.
The left hates the America that was, and is. So yeah, they hate America.
The Left HATES... you can stop here.
Does someone really have to ask that question? It is plain to see on a 24/7 basis. Just turn on CNN, MSNBC, and even FOX.
I would have thought you did. BTW I didn’t read it either.
They love the potential to seize America's wealth, and re-make the country into their vision of utopia. They love select freedoms, such as free speech for those who espouse the Leftist point of view; they abhor free speech for anyone that promotes a conservative viewpoint.
The Left hates the current Constitution and would re-make it in a heartbeat. Actually, I don't think they would re-make it in the same style; the Leftist Constitution would not assert rights, but rather, acknowledge that any rights flow from their government. Those rights could change, depending on whatever exigency appeared at a given moment in time.
Yes. No doubt.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.