Skip to comments.Phillies Close Spring Training Facilities After COVID-19 Outbreak Among Players, Staff
Posted on 06/19/2020 11:16:51 AM PDT by Libloather
Just as it seemed baseball might - and a big emphasis on the might - be nearing some sort of a deal to start the 2020 season, the sport got a reminder of the difficulties it faces in trying to start a season during a pandemic.
The Philadelphia Phillies on Friday closed their spring training complex after five players and three staff members tested positive for COVID-19 in Clearwater, Fla. NBC Sports Philadelphias Jim Salisbury was the first to report the news.
Those numbers could increase soon, as the club also noted 20 players (both major and minor leaguers) and 12 staff members are awaiting the results of tests.
The Phillies are committed to the health and welfare of our players, coaches and staff as our highest priority, managing partner John Middleton said in a statement released by the team. And as a result of these confirmed tests, all facilities in Clearwater have been closed indefinitely to all players, coaches and staff and will remain closed until medical authorities are confident that the virus is under control and our facilities are disinfected.
(Excerpt) Read more at nesn.com ...
Is anyone even sick?
So if on or two of those tested positive develop systems, they get well and life goes on.
Is there any realistic alternative?
What good is the game if the star player goes out for 2 weeks? There are enough precautions that can be taken for the game to come back but at this point the lawyers will have the final say.
I wonder how many of them will actually be sick? 95% likely won’t even have any symptoms since they are young and healthy. The remaining 5% will likely be mild unless a few have pre-existing conditions.
If I were a betting man there will not be any hospitalizations for anyone under 50 without pre-existing conditions.
Does everyone still get paid? How deep are the owners’ pockets?
They will not play this year, and baseball will never be the same. People will find new things to interest them. The highest baseball salaries have been paid, the biggest stadiums built.
It could have been different. Playing for TV audiences only during the shutdown could have revitalized the notion of baseball being Americas game and Americas pastime.
If they had been out of their government mandated cocoon in the last couple months, they would have become part of the herd and the strongest of the strong.
Rangers just built their new stadium and it’s sitting idle.
I doubt it.
Asymptomatics are being tested. Asyntomatic positive types are being found that weren't previously being found.
That is the so-called "second wave".
All forms of entertainment will not be the same.
People are discovering that they are non-essential workers.
Phils weren’t winning anything anyway. No team with Bryce Harper does.
It’s called the 15 day disabled list.
At least I don’t have to watch The Tigers lose 100+ games again.
So far this has been the best year Detroit Sports has had in years.
Yep. Suspending time merely means time resumes.
Not that I’ve been following the various follies of the sports leagues but with no deal to resume yet why were the players in training camp?
“So far this has been the best year Detroit Sports has had in years.”
They are tied for first. 0 - 0.
It will be a long time before municipalities cough up money for sports stadiums.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.