Posted on 08/17/2026 8:44:53 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo
Iran has decided to shift its policy from defensive to "fully offensive" due to the deadlock in efforts to agree on a permanent end to its war with the United States, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday.
Progress towards peace talks and a resumption of oil tanker traffic through the strategic Strait of Hormuz has ground to a halt, with no sign that the warring parties are moving towards ending the conflict that the US and Israel launched on February 28.
"Iranian entities must be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region, as Iran will be ready to make decisions and take action on difficult decisions," the Iranian official said, adding that Tehran would conduct a "timely and precise" military attack to break the US naval blockade if diplomacy failed.
Monday marked the day by which Iran and the United States were expected to reach a final deal under a memorandum of understanding agreed in June and aimed at ending the war.
Signed on June 17, the MoU set a 60-day timeframe, extendable by mutual consent, for Washington and Tehran to reach an agreement covering broader issues such as the fate of Iran's nuclear program.
The MoU, which declared the immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts, quickly unraveled, however, due to a dispute over control of the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran to set deadline
Tehran said point 5 of the MoU gives it the right to manage the waterway, while Washington rejected that interpretation. Hostilities resumed as Tehran began firing on vessels it said were trying to sail through the waterway on an unapproved route.
US President Donald Trump said on July 7 that the pact was "over." Tehran has repeatedly accused Washington of consistently violating its commitments.
"Within the short period of a few weeks set by Iran, all the agreement's provisions must be implemented by the US. This is a precondition for further negotiations with the US," the Iranian official told Reuters, adding that mediators would share Tehran's deadline with Washington and regional states.
Both Iran and the United States have stepped up rhetoric over the past week.
Trump steps up rhetoric
Trump warned Americans in a speech at a rally on Friday to prepare for continued high fuel prices as a result of the war, while also saying that "after we finish defeating Iran ... pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States."
Earlier on Monday, Trump posted on his Truth Social platform: "The number one Goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, a Nuclear Weapon," repeating one of his stated rationales for the war.
|
Click here: to donate by Credit Card Or here: to donate by PayPal Or by mail to: Free Republic, LLC - PO Box 9771 - Fresno, CA 93794 Thank you very much and God bless you. |
Iran has absolutely nothing with which to “go on the offensive.”
But’s its a smart PR statement issued for consumption by western lapdog media.
Gonna invade Iraq, gonna invade Bahrain, gonna invade Kuwait, gonna launch ICBMs, gonna use those dirty bombs they've sworn up and down they don't have...
They talk a good game!
they’re already pretty offensive
It will be interesting to see what “full offensive” means when most of missiles are under 10’ of rubble, your air force hasn’t had a plane in the air for months, and most of your navy is patrolling the floor of the Persian Gulf.
Talk is cheap. Let’s see what they’ve got.
Not good PR when nobody but their supporters believe the BS.
Doesn’t sound like Iran is interested in making any “deal”
I was under the impression they had no Navy, no submarines, no defensive positions, etc yet we’re being told they’re controlling the Straight, about to go on the offensive attack and cut the internet cables.
WTAF?
Bluster from the barbarians.
Iran shall attack fiercely with their herd of camel mounted stone launchers and slingshots.
<< Iran has absolutely nothing with which to “go on the offensive.” >>
Conventionally, they still have plenty of missiles and drones with which to attack Strait shipping, our military installations, regional energy and petrochemical facilities, and civilian airports.
Unconventionally, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they had suicide bombers and other terrorist ops at the ready, especially after 4 years of the Biden admin erasing our borders.
Trump to issue a blazing f-bomb retort on Trump Social in 5... 4... 3....
They talk a good game!
_____________________
So does Trump.
Talk is cheap. Just the threats they make slows traffic and so they claim control.
Yes they do! How many sleepers were allowed into the USA while fjb was Resident?-/
I thought Trump said (more than once) that we won the war.
They never were.
You cannot negotiate with a muslim entity. They will lie, cheat and totally ignore and ‘deal’ they supposedly make. You are an infidel and are not worthy of being dealt with in an honest manner. You are haram...........
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.