Posted on 04/12/2025 12:18:31 PM PDT by nickcarraway
Two widely followed Chinese public figures — one an editor for a state media outlet, the other the son of a former party chief — released identical outlines on Tuesday of countermeasures Chinese authorities are said to be considering in response to Trump's tariffs.
The U.S. film industry so far has escaped direct retaliation from countries hit by President Donald Trump‘s globe-spanning tariffs, thanks to theatrical film releases and streaming platforms being categorized as services rather than physical goods. But Hollywood’s luck in China, the world’s second-largest film market, could soon run out, according to statements issued Tuesday by two influential public figures in the country.
With trade relations between Washington and Beijing spiraling, two widely followed Chinese bloggers posted an identical set of measures that local authorities are said to be mulling in response to Trump’s 54 percent tariffs on all Chinese goods, which the president vowed to increase to 104 percent if Beijing didn’t back down from a pledge to match the current U.S. tariff rate. The list of mooted moves includes “reducing or banning the import of U.S. films,” as well as increasing tariffs on U.S. agricultural goods and U.S. services, among other countermeasures.
Canadian Singer-Songwriter Bells Larsen Forced to Cancel U.S. Tour Dates Over Anti-Trans Visa Requirements The potential plans were shared simultaneously over local social media by Liu Hong, a senior editor at the state-backed Xinhua News Agency, and Ren Yi, the influential and widely followed grandson of Ren Zhongyi, former Communist Party chief of Guangdong Province. Both figures attributed the outlined proposals to unnamed sources familiar with authorities’ planning. Bloomberg News was the first Western outlet to cover their statements.
The U.S. studios’ earnings in China have declined drastically in recent years as local tastes have shifted away from Hollywood franchise spectacle toward the country’s homegrown Chinese-language blockbusters. But losing all access to the Chinese market could still ding the studios’ bottom lines. Warner Bros. and Legendary’s A Minecraft Movie opened in China in first place last weekend with ticket sales of $14.5 million, just over 10 percent of its $144 international earnings haul. In 2024, the biggest U.S. release in the country was Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire with a hefty $132 million China box office total.
Chinese authorities hold a firm grip over every aspect of film distribution in the country and they have worked tirelessly over the years to boost local content at the expense of imported movies. Under former trade agreements, China committed to releasing 34 foreign films per year under revenue-share terms, with overseas studios permitted to a 25 percent share of ticket sales. Other films, usually smaller-budget titles, are imported via a buy-out system, where a local distributor pays a flat fee to release the movie in Chinese theaters. China’s film regulators also maintain strict censorship standards for film content and choose the release dates for all movies, reserving the most lucrative holiday windows for local Chinese films.
The film business, though, is one sector where the U.S. maintains a sizable trade surplus with China, as Chinese films, despite their enormous earnings in the home market, have made little headway with mainstream North American moviegoers.
Good news!
Oh, whatever shall I do?
Couldn’t care less about Hollywood.
We should force them to watch these awful movies. That’ll show them.
Good. Hollywood has gone down hill regardless but it got even worse when it had to edit its films for Chinese audiences. Maybe we can get skeletons back on the big screen
I’m sure the piracy of Hollywood movies is in full-swing in China already.
Finally some great news!! Can China apply tariffs to the crap released in this country too?
PERFECT!
What will the poor little Hollywood people do without the Chinese market to prop up their really very poorly written propaganda?
I weep.
From laughter.
Good. It’s high time ccpwood divorced from chyna.
I’ve long ago tired of starting a movie and seeing the telltale signs that it was either underwritten by chyna or a chyna co-production.
Examples: Skyscraper, The Meg 1&2. And those are just off the top of my head.
IMHO,
Not a smart move by them.
Hollywood hates Trump and the Republicans. Hollywood is in board with a globalist and ultra liberal agenda.
Banning Hollywood films is sticking it to their own ideological allies in the West.
Can’t blame them for that. American films for the most part are trash.
There are two sides to this problem. On the one hand, we have an organized, wealthy group of hostiles who hate America with all their hearts and will do anything to undermine the country and reduce it to a pile of smoking rubble. On the other hand we have the Chinese. Tough choice.
I didn’t see those movies, can you elaborate how it was tailored for the Chinese market?
I hear “Sack Lunch” is pretty good
and “The Muted Heart”
President Trump screws the Hollowoodies back. Winning.
Lucky them
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.