|This thread has been locked, it will not receive new replies.|
|Locked on 11/05/2004 4:57:39 AM PST by Admin Moderator, reason:|
Skip to comments.17 Reasons Not to Slit Your Wrists...by Michael Moore
Posted on 11/05/2004 4:22:50 AM PST by KidGlock
Friday, November 5th, 2004
17 Reasons Not to Slit Your Wrists...by Michael Moore
Ok, it sucks. Really sucks. But before you go and cash it all in, let's, in the words of Monty Python, always look on the bright side of life! There IS some good news from Tuesday's election.
Here are 17 reasons not to slit your wrists:
1. It is against the law for George W. Bush to run for president again.
2. Bush's victory was the NARROWEST win for a sitting president since Woodrow Wilson in 1916.
3. The only age group in which the majority voted for Kerry was young adults (Kerry: 54%, Bush: 44%), proving once again that your parents are always wrong and you should never listen to them.
4. In spite of Bush's win, the majority of Americans still think the country is headed in the wrong direction (56%), think the war wasn't worth fighting (51%), and dont approve of the job George W. Bush is doing (52%). (Note to foreigners: Don't try to figure this one out. It's an American thing, like Pop Tarts.)
5. The Republicans will not have a filibuster-proof 60-seat majority in the Senate. If the Democrats do their job, Bush won't be able to pack the Supreme Court with right-wing ideologues. Did I say "if the Democrats do their job?" Um, maybe better to scratch this one.
6. Michigan voted for Kerry! So did the entire Northeast, the birthplace of our democracy. So did 6 of the 8 Great Lakes States. And the whole West Coast! Plus Hawaii. Ok, that's a start. We've got most of the fresh water, all of Broadway, and Mt. St. Helens. We can dehydrate them or bury them in lava. And no more show tunes!
7. Once again we are reminded that the buckeye is a nut, and not just any old nut -- a poisonous nut. A great nation was felled by a poisonous nut. May Ohio State pay dearly this Saturday when it faces Michigan.
8. 88% of Bush's support came from white voters. In 50 years, America will no longer have a white majority. Hey, 50 years isn't such a long time! If you're ten years old and reading this, your golden years will be truly golden and you will be well cared for in your old age.
9. Gays, thanks to the ballot measures passed on Tuesday, cannot get married in 11 new states. Thank God. Just think of all those wedding gifts we won't have to buy now.
10. Five more African Americans were elected as members of Congress, including the return of Cynthia McKinney of Georgia. It's always good to have more blacks in there fighting for us and doing the job our candidates can't.
11. The CEO of Coors was defeated for Senate in Colorado. Drink up!
12. Admit it: We like the Bush twins and we don't want them to go away.
13. At the state legislative level, Democrats picked up a net of at least 3 chambers in Tuesday's elections. Of the 98 partisan-controlled state legislative chambers (house/assembly and senate), Democrats went into the 2004 elections in control of 44 chambers, Republicans controlled 53 chambers, and 1 chamber was tied. After Tuesday, Democrats now control 47 chambers, Republicans control 49 chambers, 1 chamber is tied and 1 chamber (Montana House) is still undecided.
14. Bush is now a lame duck president. He will have no greater moment than the one he's having this week. It's all downhill for him from here on out -- and, more significantly, he's just not going to want to do all the hard work that will be expected of him. It'll be like everyone's last month in 12th grade -- you've already made it, so it's party time! Perhaps he'll treat the next four years like a permanent Friday, spending even more time at the ranch or in Kennebunkport. And why shouldn't he? He's already proved his point, avenged his father and kicked our ass.
15. Should Bush decide to show up to work and take this country down a very dark road, it is also just as likely that either of the following two scenarios will happen: a) Now that he doesn't ever need to pander to the Christian conservatives again to get elected, someone may whisper in his ear that he should spend these last four years building "a legacy" so that history will render a kinder verdict on him and thus he will not push for too aggressive a right-wing agenda; or b) He will become so cocky and arrogant -- and thus, reckless -- that he will commit a blunder of such major proportions that even his own party will have to remove him from office.
16. There are nearly 300 million Americans -- 200 million of them of voting age. We only lost by three and a half million! That's not a landslide -- it means we're almost there. Imagine losing by 20 million. If you had 58 yards to go before you reached the goal line and then you barreled down 55 of those yards, would you stop on the three yard line, pick up the ball and go home crying -- especially when you get to start the next down on the three yard line? Of course not! Buck up! Have hope! More sports analogies are coming!!!
17. Finally and most importantly, over 55 million Americans voted for the candidate dubbed "The #1 Liberal in the Senate." That's more than the total number of voters who voted for either Reagan, Bush I, Clinton or Gore. Again, more people voted for Kerry than Reagan. If the media are looking for a trend it should be this -- that so many Americans were, for the first time since Kennedy, willing to vote for an out-and-out liberal. The country has always been filled with evangelicals -- that is not news. What IS news is that so many people have shifted toward a Massachusetts liberal. In fact, that's BIG news. Which means, don't expect the mainstream media, the ones who brought you the Iraq War, to ever report the real truth about November 2, 2004. In fact, it's better that they don't. We'll need the element of surprise in 2008.
Feeling better? I hope so. As my friend Mort wrote me yesterday, "My Romanian grandfather used to say to me, 'Remember, Morton, this is such a wonderful country -- it doesn't even need a president!'"
But it needs us. Rest up, I'll write you again tomorrow.
Michael Moore MMFlint@aol.com www.michaelmoore.com
Who is this Michael Moore guy?????
already posted here
Will Michael Moore be doing this SOON?
Or doesn't he practice what he preaches?
"...The Republicans will not have a filibuster-proof 60..."
We'll fix that in 2006 if W does his homework.
Will Michael Moore be doing this SOON?
Or doesn't he practice what he preaches?
Oh, I missed the "not".
In any event he is devoid of reality.
I know everyone who reads this will read it in Michael Moore's voice.
"May Ohio State pay dearly this Saturday when it faces Michigan."
Ohio State does not play Michigan Saturday.
Nice concession speech Mr. Moore :)
Now move to Canada.
This is lame. If this is the best "good news" the liberals have, we're in better shape than I thought.
Proof the guy doesn't take politics seriously and is using his new fanbase as a cash cow.
Talk about trying to put lipstick on a Moore.
WHat does Islam & Pork have in common? Michael Moron
Really He is lucky to shout off his mouth like that, because if I met him at a function and little alcohol was involved it would be lights out with such an Down south a$$ kickn it would be months of no commentary before they could get my shoe out of his mouth.
Face it Michael moron, Election is over and the Bush conspiracy of being behind 911 and the Jews is over. You made your money seliing it to the demoncats now go away!
Moore can't slit his own wrists -- too difficult to cut through the 13 inches of subcutaneous blubber.
May I get your bags ready you big fat pantload!!!
And that's why I think the celebration is a bit premature. Until we get that number down to about 2 million, we're doing something wrong and better fix it.
Look at the vile nature of the left in America today, and realize that the loss of just one critical state could have handed them the highest office in the land.
We've got our work cut out for us.
BUSH hasn't even taken office yet, you idiot
That's hard to do when you have 55 million people who depend of the government for a paycheck.
When has Moore ever gotten anything right?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.