Skip to comments.Boston family says their 14-year-old son died after attempting the “One Chip Challenge” involving reaper and scorpion peppers
Posted on 09/11/2023 12:26:37 PM PDT by Red Badger
A nightmare scenario for any family here:
A 14-year-old student from Worcester, Massachusetts, died on Friday, officials say, and his family says his death was caused by complications from eating an extremely spicy chip that's the subject of a viral challenge.
Harris Wolobah's mother confirmed to NBC10 Boston that the family believes the teenager died of complications from the One Chip Challenge, though the results of an autopsy were pending.
Here's the young man in question:
The "One Chip Challenge" was launched by the chip manufacturer Paqui. It comes wrapped in its own individual coffin-shaped container replete with warnings about just how spicy it really is.
Needless to say, the thing is spicy.
It's made with both reaper and scorpion peppers, two of the hottest peppers in the entire world. It will light your mouth up. Whether or not young Mr. Wolobah passed away from the chip is uncertain, though his tragic death lined up with his having consumed it. He first developed a stomach ache at school after eating it; then, it got serious:
He felt better after they went home, but at 4:30 p.m., when he was about to leave for basketball tryouts, his brother yelled that he'd passed out, she said. Harris was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Police are investigating the young man's death.
I am sure this is going to cost the company quite a bit, this was intentional on their part.
Tragic, senseless death.
Did the chip kill the kid, if so how? So far this is just circumstantial.
I assume the photo on the right is recent. Why include a photo of him when he was just a kid, the one on the left? Seems kind of weird, maybe disingenuous?
The young lad should have accessorized the chip with ranch sauce.
Call me skeptical. We don’t have all the facts.
I had a bag of ghost pepper chips made by Paqui, it took me 3 days to eat the bag of chips and it was a small bag at that.
Nothing would shut the heat down. I drank milk, ate sour cream and ended up putting butter in my mouth to make it stop.
This one chip thing is far worse than that.
was the chip registered? Was it in a lockbox? Was it loaded?
Some people say eating crackers will absorb the oils that cause the burning.................
I have red reapers, peach reapers, and scotch bonnets in the garden right now...I make a tasty salsa that NO ONE else gets into behind my back. :-)
It will be an interesting case if they make a claim against the chip sellers. If I was defending I would be looking very closely at the autopsy on the condition of his heart muscle and then for his for his Vax status.
How many have eaten the chips with no problems?
“selections have concequences”
~Barack hussein Obama
“If I had a son....”
I always heard high fat content because the fat coats the spice. Hottest I will go is something with Habanero on it, no further.
I’ll try some crackers next time
These have been on the market for several years now, I’m pretty sure if they killed people there would a million dead at this point. Perhaps he had some sort of weird allergy to something in it. But I’m a bit skeptical.
High fat foods like butter will help dissolve the oily capsaicin, but then there’s the calories..................
Constitutionally, this is not a federal issue but states should immediately begin the process of making the “One Chip Challenge” by the chip manufacturer Paqui illegal to import or sell in the state, and begin an educational campaign about it and other dangerous substances.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.