Skip to comments.Dominican Republic mystery deepens after third US tourist dies of respiratory failure
Posted on 06/05/2019 3:22:38 PM PDT by BenLurkin
A Pennsylvania tourist collapsed and died in the same Dominican Republic hotel where an engaged couple from Maryland was found dead five days later and from the very same condition, according to alarming reports.
Psychotherapist Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, from Allentown, died in front of her husband in their room in the Bahía Príncipe hotel in La Romana on May 25 after having a drink from the minibar, a relative told Fox News.
Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, checked into the all-inclusive hotel the same day and just five days later were also found dead in their room.
Schaup-Werner and her husband had been on the island celebrating her ninth anniversary when she suddenly collapsed after having a drink, McDonald told Fox.
She started shrieking and she dropped to the floor. He attempted to do CPR, he tried to resuscitate her, McDonald said his brother-in-law told him.
Paramedics arrived and gave an epinephrine injection usually used to treat severe allergic reactions. At that point, they just declared her dead, McDonald said, adding that the authorities did a very cursory [look] into determining the cause of death.
(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...
5-Star Mexican resort served “poisonous” alcohol to woman who died, family says
Abbey Conner died at a resort in Mexico after allegedly drinking tainted alcohol. The family of the young woman who died after possibly drinking tainted alcohol is now suing the Mexican resort that served her. Abbey Conner drowned in a pool at an Iberostar hotel and resort in Riviera Maya after drinking while on vacation with her family in January 2017. Her family alleges that the resort knew the alcohol they gave the 20-year-old was “poisonous.”
Conner’s family said her death was an entirely avoidable tragedy, at the hands of an Iberostar hotel and resort. Now, nearly two years later, they have filed a lawsuit asking for the resort to be held responsible. Abbey Conner had only been at Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for a few hours in January 2017 when her family says hotel staff served her and her older brother Austin tainted alcohol at a hotel pool.
Soon after, her family said, Abbey was found by hotel staff floating face down, while her brother was drowning nearby in shallow water. Abbey later died at a Florida hospital; her brother survived. According to the new wrongful death lawsuit filed in Florida and obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the resort knew “that alcoholic beverages being served” were “tainted, substandard, poisonous,” and “unfit for human consumption.”
A few months after Conner’s death, her mother Ginny McGowan warned people about drinking in Mexico. “It’s been a nightmare, it’s horrific,” McGowan said. “Be very, very careful of what you eat drink and you don’t know what’s necessarily in a drink or food.” After Conner’s death, Mexican authorities raided 31 establishments. They seized around 90 gallons of alcohol being kept in unsanitary conditions. In February, the Journal reports, tests found about 235 gallons of a different seized supply of alcohol contained dangerous levels of methanol, a chemical commonly used in windshield washer fluid.
Kathy Daley previously told CBS News, she believes she drank tainted alcohol while staying at an Iberostar Hotel in Mexico. “They said I couldn’t get out of the pool and I wasn’t even able to stand up in the pool,” Daley said. “They said I was vomiting all over the place and they had to call the hotel doctor.” Daley does not appear to be alone. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, since Conner’s death, it has received more than 200 reports from U.S. tourists who had similar experiences at luxury resorts in Mexico. “We thought we were, you know, safe in a 5-star gated resort but it’s apparent that you’re not,” McGowan said.
Iberostar Hotels and Resorts told CBS News in a statement it does not comment on pending or existing litigation. The State Department has previously warned travelers to consume alcohol in moderation in Mexico and immediately seek medical attention if feeling sick. © 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
I guess that is all for the DR and tourism.
Your vacation includes all the Homemade alcohol you can drink ?
Of course the hotel and DR doesnt want this type of publicity.
A nut job is spiking drinks from the minbar seems far fetched, but it makes the most likely cover story. The fact that they tied in some assailant makes me think that theres a contrived media narrative. I would also think that the DR would want to control the investigation as it occurred on their territory, its a little fishy that State seems to be taking the lead.
I wonder if their deaths could be related to the amoeba thing I first read about 2/3 years ago.
Unlikely,but very frightening and very quick.
Well, this isnt the worst history of tainted alcohol resulting in deaths and injuries.
We can thank the US government for that during prohibition. Theyre probably just refining their techniques.
I find it hard to believe that anyone still vacations in Mexico.
“I find it hard to believe that anyone still vacations in Mexico.”
A granddaughter just vacationed in Guatemala,had a great time——I kid you not.
“A granddaughter just vacationed in Guatemala,had a great timeI kid you not.”
I realize death and assaults also happen in this country, especially in states that are bombarded with illegals and even legal immigrants who simply are animalistic....
That said, I really cannot think of a country that I would actually travel to in this day and age. And I really would have liked to get to Ireland one day!
About the only way I’d leave the US is on a privately owned boat or a small Cruise ship that is heavily crewed and really vetted by a top notch security team with absolutely zero Muslim crew.
Alaska. I would like to travel on the waterways up to Alaska on a cruse ship like I mentioned above.... LOL
“Jake leg” sounds like it was great fun./s
In the 1930s, though, a specific affliction struck moonshine drinkers in a number of Southern states. It is estimated that some 50,000 people were crippled with partial paralysis, mostly in their legs, as a result of drinking “jake”. In some cases the paralysis proved to be temporary, but nearly all victims were forced to walk with in high-stepping, foot-slapping style that quickly became known as the “jake walk” or the “jake leg”.
Jake is actually Jamacian ginger extract, marketed and sold as a medicinal tonic for any number of ills. It was available in the United States since about the time of the Civil War, and Americans quickly realized that the nearly 70% alcohol content made “the jake” a way to skirt local or federal laws banning the consumption of liquor. Compared to whiskey, jake was often cheaper, and often had a higher alcohol content. Many drug stores sold Coca-Cola or coffee, which people would then use as mixers for the jake, often using a side room in the store to concoct their drink.
I most of the world
hotels must pay
if they don’t
guests will become unhealthy
You have a distorted, xenophobic view of the world.
Sounds like someone could have planted poisoned items in the minibar. Maybe the maid.
Please explain how your comment bears upon the OP post about respiratory failure...a not expressed as a result of alcohol poisoning...
I don’t see the connection.
But I do see a connection to the Fiji deaths.
Yep: Respiratory failure.
I would go anyplace in Europe and many places in Asia.
Aerosolized delivery system testing.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.