Skip to comments.Word For The Day, Friday, September 16, 2005 - A Half-baked Tribute To Miss Xenalyte
Posted on 09/16/2005 1:49:00 AM PDT by Argh
In order that we might all raise the level of discourse and expand our language abilities, here is the daily post of four "Words for the Day".
1. tenebrific [te-ne-BRIF-ic, adjective, from Latin tenebrae, meaning darkness]
2. causing gloom or darkness
3. Sometimes used poetically to mean "sad"
2. lachrymose [LAK-ri-mose, adjective, from Latin lacrima meaning tear]
1. given to tears or weeping: suffused with tears: tearful
2. fit to bring tears or induce mournfulness: dismal, melancholy
3. lugubrious [pronounced luh-GOOB-bree-yus, adjective, from Latin lugere, to mourn]
1. Expressive of, marked by, or giving rise to grief or sorrow: mournful; especially exaggeratedly or affectedly mournful
2. Disposed to gloom: dismal
4. saturnine [SAT-er-nine, adjective, from Latin Saturnus meaning Saturn, perhaps related to its distance from the sun]
1. Born under or influenced astrologically by the planet Saturn: slow, sluggish
2. Of a moody or surly character: morose, sullen, mournful
3. Of or related to lead or lead poisoning
Rules: Everyone must leave a post using one or more of the Words for the Day in one or more sentences.
The sentences must, in some way, relate to the news of the day.
The Review threads are linked for your edification. ;-)
Practice makes perfect.....post on....
Good Morning, Class. Welcome to School!
Review Thread One: Word For The Day, Thursday 11/14/02: Raffish (Be SURE to check out posts #92 and #111 on this thread!)
Review Thread Two: Word For The Day, Tuesday 1/14/03: Roister
Review Thread Three: Word For The Day, Tuesday 1/28/03: Obdurate
Review Thread Four: Word For the Day, Friday 7/25/03: Potation
Review Thread Five: Word For the Day, Monday 8/19/03: Stolid
No pushing at the door please!
Because tomorrow Miss Xena is getting married!
WFTD wishes Miss Xena and Xena's Guy all the best !!
Oh, well, I'll get over it.
Look, it's starting already:
The first time I've ever fallen in love three times in one swell foop.
They certainly are and do, well done!
Congrats to Xena and the very lucky guy!
Quit your lachrymose belly aching and wish her well. ;)
Congrats, Xena, and many bright days for you!
Allow me to present you with a bilabial fricative in honor of your upcoming nuptuals.
As for me, the tenebrific weather has caused me to assume a lachymose mood, and I shall repair to the range to engage in saturnine ballistics in an attempt to lift my lugubrious spirits.
Folks often think that I am Saturnine, but they just don't recognize the subtle influence of the minor cosmic phenomenon -- Urananus.
(Robt cried as he missed the top 10...)
(Robt cried as he counted the first three...)
Congratulations to you and Xena'sguy! Please bring some pictures to class when you have them so we can all live vicariously...
Morning-I'm leaving soon in my (hopeful) quest to end Friday's workday by 1 or 2 this afternoon-
Despite Nagin's tenebrific speeches
And Blanco's lachrymose act
Tourists are needed for money-
They can't deny that fact
So the French Quarter will re-open
Despite the lugubrious speeches
By Landrieu, Blanco and all the rest
Of the state's political leeches
Perhaps a compelling reason
For all the saturnine faces
Is fed control to keep funding
Out of secret and nasty places...
Bo Derek was tenebrific in that movie.
I'm feeling lachrymose, because for the second morning in a row, this low pressure is giving me a headache!
Swords sing saturnine tunes,
Joyful weeping from lachrymose runes,
Tenebrific mankind in mourning,
A lugubrious celebration warning,
For Miss Xanalyte's marital doom!
Congratulations, Xenalyte! And may you be blessed with a lifetime of bliss.
PS - I just celebrated my 16th anniversary. It's been wonderful, and thank God Mrs. MortMan has more patience than I do!!
Stainless steel panty hose.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.