Posted on 03/10/2009 6:22:20 AM PDT by Sergeant Tim
Anyone remember 9/11?
Anyone remember the World Trade Center?
Anyone remember the Pentagon?
Anyone remember the innocent aboard those four planes?
Someone will have to explain to my family and me what President Barack Obama meant when he said [on February 6, 2009 to 9/11 and U.S.S. Cole families] those at Guantanamo will receive, "Swift and certain justice," why five barbarians were not allowed to plead guilty last year, and why this latest admission of guilt is not reason enough to let them plead guilty immediately at a Military Commission.
The New York Times reports:
The five detainees at Guantánamo Bay charged with planning the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have filed a document with the military commission at the United States naval base there expressing pride at their accomplishment and accepting full responsibility for the killing of nearly 3,000 people.The document, which may be released publicly on Tuesday, uses the Arabic term for a consultative assembly in describing the five men as the 9/11 Shura Council, and it says their actions were an offering to God, according to excerpts of the document that were read to a reporter by a government official who was not authorized to discuss it publicly.
The document is titled The Islamic Response to the Governments Nine Accusations, the military judge at the Guantánamo Bay detention camp said in a separate filing, obtained by The New York Times, that describes the detainees document.
The document was filed on behalf of the five men, including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who has described himself as the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.
President Obama halted the military proceedings at Guantánamo in the first days after his inauguration, and the five mens case is on hiatus until the government decides how it will proceed.
Several of the men have earlier said in military commission proceedings at Guantánamo that they planned the 2001 attacks and that they sought martyrdom. The strategic goal of the five men in making the new filing, which reached the military court on March 5, was not clear.
In their filing, the men describe the planning of the Sept. 11 attacks and the killing of Americans as a model of Islamic action, and say the American governments accusations cause them no shame, according to the excerpts read by the government official.
To us, the official continued reading, they are not accusations. To us they are a badge of honor, which we carry with honor.
Remember the 2,975 that were killed and bring "swift and certain justice" now to their murderers.
Ping!
Anyone remember 9/11?
These were atrocities. Aren’t these men war criminals? Don’t they deserve to be treated as such?
Looking for a new place for them to stay and live in comfort??????
Why are they still breathing?. They want to be martyrs, please help them achieve their goal.
These guys, in their thirst for martyrdom, are doing us a huge favor - as long as they’re willing to persist in their confessions they have removed questions of legality in their interrogations, and set themselves up to be successfully tried and convicted in a normal criminal proceedings.
My vote would be to deny them their sought after glorious deaths, and let them rot away out of the media spotlight in SuperMax solitary instead.
President Obama is not interested in what these men did. He's mainly interested in their rights, IMO.
I’ll never forget. I think about it often, and the enormity of what we are up against. Thanks for posting. BTTT!
Not critizing you, but why did you put this in bloggers?
Hang them upside down facing West, cover them with pig feces,..and let them rot. Let’s see how cheerful they will be.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.