Posted on 08/28/2024 8:09:36 AM PDT by rightwingintelligentsia
A photography-related "incident" occurred at Arlington National Cemetery Monday during a visit by former President Donald Trump, leading to a report being filed, the cemetery said in a statement to ABC News.
While the cemetery did not immediately provide specifics, NPR reported that a source had told the publication that two Trump campaign officials engaged in a verbal and physical altercation with a cemetery staff member during Trump's visit, which came on the third anniversary of the deaths of 13 service members during the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.
The alleged altercation took place after the Trump campaign officials were asked not to take photos and videos in Section 60, a section of the cemetery where recent U.S. veterans are buried, NPR reported.
When contacted by ABC News on Tuesday night, a representative for the Arlington National Cemetery released a statement that confirmed an "incident" but didn't provide specifics.
"Federal law prohibits political campaign or election-related activities within Army National Military Cemeteries, to include photographers, content creators or any other persons attending for purposes, or in direct support of a partisan political candidate's campaign. Arlington National Cemetery reinforced and widely shared this law and its prohibitions with all participants. We can confirm there was an incident, and a report was filed," the statement read.
(Excerpt) Read more at msn.com ...
Just heard a phone call on the Chris Plante Show from a mother of one of the soldiers interred there, and she said there was no “incident” as reported from the NPR anonymous source, and that she was grateful that Pres. Trump was there.
As the campaign pushed back (in the Hill is followup article with this) Campaign spokesperson Cheung and even LaCivita said the individual making the “claims” and “altercation” was not acting normal whatsover. Don’t like posting the Hill but the follow up article is there and clear as day this was a WHACK employee. The “recent” graves in 60 include some of, if not all of the 13 lost in the Afghan debacle. They put a wreath at the Unknowns Tomb, and then the rest of the ceremony was down in Section 60 per the campaign spokesman. Former Sen. from Montana (?) was there and took photos, press not allowed so they say. No doubt the employee yet another whacked DC gov employee with issues.
Ten bucks says that it never happened.
Sure sounds like it.
The gold star families says NPR is lying.
gee, i thought the adage was:
“If you can’t report anything negative about Trump, FABRICATE something negative to report.”
I am 84.
I have seen MANY pics over the years taken there.
WTH???
Apparently, this Section 60 they speak about relates to photography of ‘recent’ burials of veterans.
The question is what does ‘recent’ mean and how was that interpreted by the Arlington staffer(s)?
On the face of it, I’d have to say that ‘recent’ means newly interred where there are still remnant signs of burial/funeral (e.g., fresh piled dirt, etc.). But if the graves looked like all of the others then photography would be permissible.
I watched the PBS video of him accompanying many of the family members separately; it looked like the ceremonies were at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers (my guess).
The one thing I know that Trump DID NOT DO during the whole process was LOOK AT HIS DAMNED WATCH.......
Video and names, or it didn’t happen.
Trump was taking pictures with the families at the gravesites
Presumably by request of the families, who invited him
Trump was kinda clueless to take campaign staffers and media
He should have just consented to participate in the families photos
and videos…would have gotten the same publicity
“So, the videos seen on national TV with Trump laying the wreaths at the cemetery...are all illegal?”
Accordeing to CNN, this trip was for the relatives of the slain soldiers and had been previously approved by them for this rememberance to be put in historical means...photograghy. So by the people at Arlington to “assume” Trump was going to use it for campaign fodder, is incorrectly applied to the cemetary rules. As far as I know, no one working at Arlington, and I do know some people, has the ability to read minds. And as it was not announced it has a much more appearance as Trump doing something for the families than for political gain because not one media outlet had been put on notice to my knowledge. And here from CNN:
“We had given our approval for President Trump’s official videographer and photographer to attend the event, ensuring these sacred moments of remembrance were respectfully captured and so we can cherish these memories forever,” the families said.”
Arlington should be ashamed they erased a time to be recorded in history by making up a “misuse reason” they could never prove and only imagined. In the US, we are innocent until proven guilty and those members being remembered were part of the ones that gave their all to do that. Disgrace Arlinton. He was there at the request of the famlies. Where are their rights?
wy69
The "rule enforcer" must have had the day off back then.
It flipped private when the DNC convention hit. Maybe they turned that off and back public?
So....did they have permission?
I can’t answer that....but even if they did, because it was Trump people......well, you know
Having grown up almost next door to Arlington and been to a number funerals there I don’t recall burials being done one section at a time. They seemed to have been done scattered out all over. Except for the Union unknowns, they were grouped together.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.