Posted on 11/09/2002 11:43:46 PM PST by TexKat
Nathaniel Osbourne, the Jamaican man living in New Jersey who was detained as a material witness in the Washington-area sniper attacks, has been released by the authorities after nearly two weeks in custody, the New York Times reported yesterday.
Osbourne, 26, an aspiring reggae singer, was the subject of an intensive manhunt last month after it emerged that he co-owned the 1990 Chevrolet Caprice that sniper suspects, John Muhammad and Lee Malvo, used during the interstate killing spree.
According to the Times, law enforcement officials have not charged Osbourne with any crime, and released him last Friday on the condition that he remain at the home of his mother, a few blocks from the gold-leafed dome that tops the State House in Trenton, New Jersey.
The newspaper said it was unable to get Osbourne to discuss his relationship with the suspects. However, he said he had been "through hell" since his October 26 arrest in Flint, Michigan, where he said he had gone to woo a woman he had met the previous summer.
"I did something out of the kindness of my heart and I got in a big mess," he said of the help he offered Muhammad in buying and registering the car. "I didn't do anything wrong. I just want my life to fall back to its rightful place," the New York Times report said. The newspaper also reported Osbourne's lawyer, Paul F Kemp, as saying that under the terms of his release, Osbourne must stay at home unless he is out searching for work. Osbourne, the paper said, has held a series of low-paying jobs in recent years.
Federal officials in Washington, the Times reported, confirmed that Osbourne had been held as a material witness and was not a suspect.
This guy is just full of ambition. < /sarcasm>
HA!
Nice guy?? Don't think so!!
Fool me twice, shame on me!!
Yes, the detail that blew me away in earlier reports was the fact that Muhammed's TRAVEL AGENT used to call him at the homeless shelter! Jobs are clearly not necessary for these guys.
You know, livius I don't recall hearing any more about her and it. But, what time would Mohammad have for a girlfriend? And if there was another person in on this, surely we would have heard by now. But this does call for some research.
That is my question also. But his family, mother and brothers are in N.J.. Are the whole kit and kaboodal illegal?
Still have in the back of my mind that Mo and Mal may have been the Anthrax "mailers" (not the maker or planner). I'd like to nail down their whereabouts on September 18th and October 9th so I can get it off the board.
I'm figuring they never got paid or got "fired" and they continued on their own.
It's a lot of speculation but then all of this is crazy anyways. I'm just joining the club!!
That's true, but even what we know of the truth is so strange now that - hey, why not a little speculation!!!
Actually, my bets for the anthrax mailer (as you say, not the maker or planner) is somebody who worked/works for the Post Office. So how's that for wild speculation? ;-)
The disturbing thing is that I think al-Q (and radical Islam in general) has lots and lots of American-born operatives and potential operatives here. Muhammed and Malvo were just a couple of them.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.