Skip to comments.LA County Supervisor Says Health Director Stay-At-Home Remark ‘Taken Out Of Context’
Posted on 05/12/2020 6:51:30 PM PDT by EdnaMode
Los Angeles County residents can expect to remain under some type of Safer At Home restrictions well into the summer barring any major change in the fight against the coronavirus, the countys public health director said Tuesday.
Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer made the suggestion during a Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday, saying some form of stay-at-home restrictions will likely remain in place for the next three months.
Theres now no way, unless there was a dramatic change in this virus and the tools that we have at hand to actually fight against this virus, theres no way that we could in fact see us not needing to continue with a set of restrictions, Ferrer said.
Such dramatic change would involve a reliable vaccine, at-home testing, and treatment for COVID-19, Ferrer added.
She did not specify what types of restrictions might remain in place even as the countywide Safer At Home order is set to expire Friday.
Supervisor Kathryn Barger later clarified Ferrers statement, saying it was taken out of context and has understandably caused great concern by the public. Relaxing the restrictions in the Safer at Home order is an important focus for the County, which will be done gradually over the next few months.
I am eager to reopen more of L.A. County as soon as its safe to do so, in collaboration with our health experts, community leaders, businesses and residents, with best practices in place to ensure our overall health and well-being. These decisions will be guided by the latest science and data collected. Im confident that the more our communities continue to comply, the sooner we can resume normalcy.
While the county loosened some guidelines last week, with trails reopening and retailers allowed to expand to curbside services, Ferrer cited an increase in COVID-19 deaths and total cases and said those would remain steady barring a dramatic change to the virus and tools at hand.
Ferrers comments were made in the context of a Board of Supervisors debate over how long a moratorium on evictions should remain in place. While the current public health order is set to expire Friday, Ferrer did not specifically address the extension.
The county announced 961 new cases and 45 deaths Tuesday, bringing the total number of deaths to 1,613.
Still I did not hear whether or not LA was opening before the end of July?
Estimate (2019) 10,039,107
Americans do not need PERMISSION from government to exercise their liberties. The idea that WE (government) tell you when you may exercise your rights should be met by thousands of angry citizens who defy such tyranny.
Shouldn’t they be modulating policy against maximum hospital capacity?
Aren’t they way overachieving flattening the curve?
My guess it still will be until the end of July by keep extending it one month at a time. Just like the Democrat counties have been doing since the beginning. Drip. Drip. Drip.
They moved on to “not one more death” or some such BS.
You noticed that, too, did you?
They started with 2 weeks, then 2 more. Then realized they could push it 30 days at a time. Now they tired 3 months and realized they went too far.
10,039,107 population. 2717 deaths in all of california. talk about egregious overreach. I let President Trump and Barr know about this too.
Many politicians have chosen to ignore that the Constitution does not GIVE us our rights.
It restricts the government from taking them away or otherwise infringing on them.
It doesn’t tell us what we can do. It tells them what they can’t do.
Exactly. Announcing three months at a time is too much. Back to a month it is.
It is extremely sad. My county will follow Los Angeles County. The announcement should come within a week or two. The current deadline is May 31st for me.
Trump and Barr will do nothing about this. Guaranteed. Take to the bank. It is a lock.
They really don’t care.
Real Americans do not ask “permission” to exercise First Amendment RIGHT.
The moment that statist subjects do that they surrender their God-given RIGHTS for the pottage of “privilege”
Thousands are already demonstrating in the streets. As despair increases while the lockdown drags on, these may morph into riots. We could be looking at a long hot summer.
Sorry to disappoint--it will be until the end of October plus four days.
Trump and Barr will do nothing about this. Guaranteed. Take to the bank. It is a lock. They really dont care
Response: Californians do not vote well. Not Trumps fault.
It will be going on and on and on.
Goalposts on wheels.
The hoi polloi will never be able to catch them.
Putting up with it is asking for it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.