Posted on 06/02/2007 1:45:58 PM PDT by stockpirate
Eight foreign Muslim fighters have been killed during fighting with government forces in Puntland, a remote, mountainous northeastern Somali area, according to a senior official.
Hassan Dahir Mohamoud, Puntland's vice-president, said on Saturday that there were no civilian casualties because the area is uninhabited.
At least one US warship late on Friday shelled the area where the fighters had set up a base after they clashed with government forces.
Speaking from Garowe, Puntland's capital, Mohamoud said security forces are pursuing another five foreign Muslim fighters.
He said the government knew the nationalities of five of the foreigners: Britain, Eritrea, Sweden, US and Yemen.
He said security forces identified them from their passports.
Mohamoud said: "We have successfully completed the operation against the terrorists who came here and we are chasing the other five."
He said the total number of fighters was 13, but earlier government officials reported they were as many as 35.
By speedboat Earlier, Mohamed Abdulrahman Banga, Puntland's minister of information, said that the armed members of the Islamic Courts Union arrived in two fishing boats from southern Somalia, which they controlled for six months last year before being routed by Ethiopian troops sent to prop up a faltering interim government.
"They had their own small boats and guns. We do not know exactly where they came from - maybe from Ras Kamboni, where they were cornered in January," he said.
Fishermen said about a dozen fighters arrived on Wednesday, but Puntland officials said the number could be as high as 35.
Muse Gelle, the regional governor, said that area where the fighters arrived on Wednesday - the port of Bargaal - is a dense thicket, making it difficult for Puntland security forces to intervene on their own.
A radio station quoted Ade Muse, Puntland's leader, as saying that his forces had battled with the group for hours before the US ships arrived and used their cannons.
Muse said five of his soldiers were wounded, but that he had no information about casualties among the fighters.
Al Jazeera's Mohammed Adow said that members of the Islamic Courts Union were believed to be hiding out in the region since they were beaten in early January.
Al-Qaeda suspect
The target was reportedly a suspect in the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
The destroyer's guns appeared to be targeting a single person, perhaps moving in a convoy, according to the CNN report.
The US launched air strikes in Somalia in January targeting three alleged al-Qaeda members but killing their allies instead, US officials have said.
Those suspects also were wanted for the embassy bombings, which killed 240 people.
I like the sound of that.
Bump
I’m sure we’d all be horrified to see the cost per enemy KIA in this war, as compared to wars where we did our killing on a wholesale basis......from the air or sweeping all before us
Naval gunfire on shore targets?
There are some happy gunfighters on board that ship today.
How rare is it for a Navy ship to attack land targets with gunfire?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.