Skip to comments.2 States 22 Observations
Posted on 09/26/2005 2:13:03 PM PDT by PeskyOne
2 States, 22 Observations Things I have noticed while watching media coverage of the recent hurricanes.
1. Texas: Productive industrious state run by Republicans.
Louisiana: Government dependent welfare state run by Democrats.
2. Texas: Residents take responsibility to protect and evacuate themselves.
Louisiana: Residents wait for government to protect and evacuate them.
3. Texas: Local and state officials take responsibility for protecting their citizens and property.
Louisiana: Local and state officials blame federal government for not protecting their citizens and property.
4. Texas: Command and control remains in place to preserve order.
Louisiana: Command and control collapses allowing lawlessness.
5. Texas: Law enforcement officers remain on duty to protect city.
Louisiana: Law enforcement officers desert their posts to protect themselves.
6. Texas: Local police watch for looting.
Louisiana: Local police participate in looting.
7. Texas: Law and order remains in control, 8 looters tried it, 8 looters arrested.
Louisiana: Anarchy and lawlessness breaks out, looters take over city, no arrests, criminals with guns have to be shot by federal troops.
8. Texas: Considerable damage caused by hurricane.
Louisiana: Considerable damage caused by looters.
9. Texas: Flood barriers hold preventing cities from flooding.
Louisiana: Flood barriers fail due to lack of maintenance allowing city to flood.
10. Texas: Orderly evacuation away from threatened areas, few remain.
Louisiana: 25,000 fail to evacuate, are relocated to another flooded area.
11. Texas: Citizens evacuate with personal 3 day supply of food and water.
Louisiana: Citizens fail to evacuate with 3 day supply of food and water, do without it for the next 4 days.
12. Texas: FEMA brings in tons of food and water for evacuees. State officials provide accessible distribution points.
Louisiana: FEMA brings in tons of food and water for evacuees. State officials prevent citizens from reaching distribution points and vice versa.
13. Louisiana: Media focuses on poor blacks in need of assistance, blames Bush.
Texas: Media cant find poor blacks in need of assistance, looking for something else to blame on Bush.
14. Texas: Coastal cities suffer some infrastructure damage, Mayors tell residents to stay away until ready for repopulation, no interference from federal officials.
Louisiana: New Orleans is destroyed, Mayor asks residents to return home as another hurricane approaches, has to be overruled by federal officials.
15. Louisiana: Over 400 killed by storm, flooding and crime.
Texas: 24 killed in bus accident on highway during evacuation, no storm related deaths.
16. Texas: Jailed prisoners are relocated to other detention facilities outside the storm area.
Louisiana: Jailed prisoners are set free to prey on city shops, residents, and homes.
17. Texas: Local and state officials work with FEMA and Red Cross in recovery operations.
Louisiana: Local and state officials obstruct FEMA and Red Cross from aiding in recovery operations.
18. Texas: Local and state officials demonstrate leadership in managing disaster areas.
Louisiana: Local and state officials fail to demonstrate leadership, require federal government to manage disaster areas.
19. Texas: Fuel deliveries can't keep up with demand, some run out of gas on highway, need help from fuel tankers before storm arrives.
Louisiana: Motorists wait till storm hits and electrical power fails. Cars run out of gas at gas stations that cant pump gas. Gas in underground tanks mixes with flood waters.
20. Texas: Mayors move citizens out of danger.
Louisiana: Mayor moves himself and family to Dallas.
21. Texas: Mayors continue public service announcements and updates on television with Governor's backing and support.
Louisiana: Mayor cusses, governor cries, senator threatens president with violence on television, none of them have a clue what went wrong or whos responsible.
22. Louisiana: Democratic Senator says FEMA was slow in responding to 911 calls from Louisiana citizens.
Texas: Republican Senator says "when you call 911, the phone doesn't ring in Washington, it rings here at the local responders".
What if state and local elected officials were forced to depend on themselves and their own resources instead of calling for help from the federal government? Texas cities would be back up and running in a few days. Louisiana cities would still be under water next month. Republicans call for action, Democrats call for help. What party will you be voting for in the next election?
Louisiana officials: study problems with evacuation to try and figure out how to blame them on FEMA.
Also note, you can draw similar analogies for EVERY OTHER FREAKIN STATE that gets hit. Louisianna is the ONLY state that has had these problems!
When's the last time in modern history we've seen a hurricane disaster run that badly?
14. Texas: Coastal cities suffer some infrastructure damage, Mayors *ask* residents to stay away until ready for repopulation while noting that in a free society the government has no right to order citizens around; no interference from federal officials. Most residents honor the requests - those that return are fully prepared, bring extra supplies for themselves and neighbors; begin cleanup effort without government aid.
Louisiana: New Orleans is destroyed, Mayor and governor demand that residents/serfs return home as another hurricane approaches, has to be overruled by federal officials. Nobody pays the slightest attention to mayor or governor.
Never in recent history, I think. Galveston 1900 is the only thing that comes close, and that was more inaction and lack of technology than deliberate stupidity and political posturing. New Orleans 2005, in all respects other than loss of life, is actually worse.
Texas - After disaster passes and everything is secure, residents get back to business.
Louisiana - As soon as wind dies down, residents get back to partyin'.
Not defending the incompetence in Louisiana, but the nature of the disasters was completely different.
Classic liberal argument. Catch you with your hand in the cookie jar and suddenly it's no longer a recepticle for cookies.
Louisiana: Oysters Rockefeller and Crawfish Bisque
Texas: Chicken Fried Steak
Otherwise it was a great but sad post.
23. Texas: Governor and local officials are public servants.
Louisiana: Governor and local officials are blooming idiots.
Even sadder, because it's my home state! I love the state, the people, and the food, but the politics have always been corrupt. I've known it all my life since my mother grew up a neighbor of the Longs in Winnfield, Louisiana.
Oddly enough, I seem to recall that a large hurricane was the precipitating event for both disasters....
Louisiana: Grills aquatic insects.
Texas: Grills cows.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.