Skip to comments.50 ways that people are working around State obstacles
Posted on 12/30/2013 6:26:11 PM PST by virgil283
"State management of society is not only contrary to human liberty; it is also unworkable. It cannot achieve what it seeks to achieve, which is often all-round control of some sector of economic and social life... .. People find loopholes and workarounds or just invent new ways to make progress possible. This is because people will not be caged. They struggle to be free and sometimes they succeed...."....H/T Maggiesfarm
(Excerpt) Read more at aei-ideas.org ...
2. Uber: Taxis have their licenses, which drive up fares. Its a cozy and well-protected cartel. Uber lets you get around this system, finding great rides in clean cars for better faresall while checking (gasp! unlicensed) chauffeurs with reputation ratings.
3. Concierge healthcare: Doctors are opting out of Obamacare and the third-party payer system. Pay them up front and pay them out of pocket. Get the care you need and go buy a catastrophic plan if you can (instead of taking whatevers on the Obamacare exchanges).
4. 3-D printing: Not only will people circumvent unconstitutional gun restrictions (like Cody Wilson has), but people will be able easily to get around patents and regulations by printing their own high-flow showerheads. When everyone is a maker, no one is regulated.
5. P2P lending: Prosper and Lending Club let people bypass big incumbent banks and crowdfund as borrowers and lenders. Where there is communication, there are deals being made.
6. The raw milk movement: The government has tried for decades to suppress this unpasteurized brew, but fans wont be stopped. Buyers clubs are everywhere. The more the feds crack down, the more the demand for the product grows.
8. Private schooling/homeschooling: If you dont like the government schools, take your kids out. Millions of families are doing it. Some are even forming virtual coops and getting content from online sources.
9. Online education: Are you after a real education or a signaling mechanism? MOOCs and other online sources (like Khan Academy) are reducing the costs of educationaway from the inflated guild of higher ed and publicly funded indoctrination camps.
10. Food trucks: Bricks-and-mortar restaurants love regulations because they can keep a boot on the necks of competitors. Thats why cities that tolerate food truck culture are giving these restaurants a run for their money. If you can stand to eat your tacos on a park bench, it might be worth hitting a food trailerthe ultimate in microentrepreneurship. They are often at the forefront of experimentation and variety.
Just get on the bus, Gus.
These are the things we need to concentrate on. We’re beyond the point of political discussions being of any use.
... make a new plan, Stan.
Harry Potter Ping!
(It's like magic...)
Nut-job Conspiracy Theory Ping!
To get onto The Nut-job Conspiracy Theory Ping List you must threaten to report me to the Mods if I don't add you to the list...
No need to be coy, Roy...just listen to me!
Food Trucks? BLECH.
Last time I ate off a ROACH COACH, I got so sick.
Imagine all those contruction guys who can’t wash their hands, rummaging through the stuff, touching everything at the previous stop. EWWWWWWW
LOL, you got to use all your pinglists on one post. Cool
Excellent advice. I’ve been trading and bartering for years, now. Many, MANY like-minded people out there, even in my BLUE county. Does the heart good! :)
Less than half my ping lists, actually...
I used Uber and love it. Absolutely amazing. A lot of my colleagues use AirBnb while traveling in Europe too.
Oh well, a three run homer ain’t a bad days work.
Have you not noticed the current food truck revolution? These are not roach coaches. They are gourmet restaurants on wheels. Check out a program called Eat St. on the Cooking Channel.
The food trucks are very different from the old roach coaches. Very different.
good but depressing that it has come to this
I designed my business from the ground up to avoid all contact with the government and/or regulators.
I RE-designed, re-configured, re-invented mine with the same thing in mind!!! Back in 08,09. Launched the new version 4-1-09 ..we called it project 409, cleansing ourselves of govt bureaucrats.
Strange but true - we may soon be buying books written by Russians on how to get around the Soviet system.
Russian would-be writers take note.
Depressing would be if everyone quietly went along with the program.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.