Skip to comments.Man dies after skin cream catches fire
Posted on 04/18/2006 1:07:19 PM PDT by managusta
An investigation has been launched after a hospital patient died in a fireball after lighting a cigarette while wearing a highly flammable skin ointment.
It is thought the 60-year-old man was having a cigarette on a fire escape near his ward at Doncaster Royal Infirmary in South Yorkshire when the tragedy happened yesterday evening.
He was taken to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield with serious burns but later died from his injuries.
It is understood that hospital staff followed the correct procedures and the incident was being treated as a tragic accident.
Nigel Clifton, chief executive of Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: "This is a most tragic event. Our hearts go out to his family."
The trust said it would not be releasing any further details about the incident.
Officials refused to confirm the skin condition the man was being treated for.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: "A 60-year-old-male patient sustained fatal injuries after being involved in a fire at Doncaster Royal Infirmary.
"An investigation has taken place, there appears to be no suspicious circumstances. A report will be prepared for the coroner."
A spokesman for the trust added: "An investigation has been launched. Counselling will be made available to staff, patients and family members if required."
He picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue...
Sounds like the guy was a real hot head.
Richard Pryor joke in 3, 2, 1
I'm sorry...I laughed.
I hate when hospitals mix up the petroleum jelly and the jellified petroleum.
The nurses called him a real hottie!
I was going to say it's a bad day for Metrosexuals,...but, I have some prescription skin cream that has quite a bit of alcohol in it. I'll have to try to light some up tonight...in the intrest of science of course.
LMAO, according to Rush, this WILL be a smoking related death.
Man, I hate it when that happens, PING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the smell of skin ointment in the morning...
Me too. Some enterprising TV producer needs to air the "Darwin Awards", re-enactments of such fine decision makers.
Nice Richard Pryor graphic.
Pissant Productions Presents.............
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.