Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Only Guns Can Stop Terrorists
The Wall Street Journal ^ | John R. Lott Jr

Posted on 09/27/2001 9:11:26 PM PDT by VinnyTex

Edited on 04/22/2004 11:45:33 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

By John R. Lott Jr. Mr. Lott is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and the author of "More Guns, Less Crime" (University of Chicago Press, 2000).

President Bush yesterday unveiled a plan to tighten airline security, ranging from employing the National Guard at airports to place more marshals on flights. Those are important steps, but they won't be enough, especially since no one knows where the terrorists will strike next. The only adequate response is to encourage more ordinary, responsible citizens to carry guns, as Israel has done.

(Excerpt) Read more at interactive.wsj.com ...

TOPICS: Editorial; Philosophy
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

1 posted on 09/27/2001 9:11:26 PM PDT by VinnyTex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: VinnyTex
Bump, good idea!
2 posted on 09/27/2001 9:33:56 PM PDT by AKbear
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I hear what the opponents of pilots w/guns are saying: Pilots need to focus on their task at hand. They're not trained to be policement, etc. However, in a desperate situation the pilot and co-pilot are the last line of defense for the poor innocents on board. They might never even need to use the gun, but for heaven's sake, they can be trusted with one!
3 posted on 09/27/2001 9:34:54 PM PDT by ChocChipCookie

To: New Formatting
Screwed this post up....

Gonna have to get used to it.

4 posted on 09/27/2001 9:36:41 PM PDT by VinnyTex

fix I hope
5 posted on 09/27/2001 9:38:26 PM PDT by VinnyTex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Great article from Mr. Lott (as usual). What happened to this post? Sure is a lot of empty space at the end, at least it's that way on my screen.
6 posted on 09/27/2001 9:45:59 PM PDT by basil

Had to battle my way through a blizzard to get here!

Guns, yes...hand-grenades, no!

7 posted on 09/27/2001 9:50:31 PM PDT by headsonpikes
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

My dad's first criticism of the "air marshal" approach was the cost to pay 1 or more marshals per aircraft. They are going to have to factor that into the price of airline tickets or face the same stupid consequences as California purchasing electricity with tax dollars. It would be much better to have citizens with CCWs that have had an extra certification aboard aircraft. Ditto for pilots. I would pay the cost out of my pocket for the extra certification on top of my CCW in exchange for the right to be armed (with proper ammo) and excused from the asinine shakedown by security. As with any CCW holder, the ideal situation is to never have to fire the weapon. After the Sep 11th attack, I wouldn't think twice about intervening.
8 posted on 09/27/2001 10:02:07 PM PDT by Myrddin

To: basil
I'm not sure Basil... New Format that the tech guys are working on I think! Been lots of bugs tonight!
9 posted on 09/27/2001 11:09:08 PM PDT by VinnyTex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.
10 posted on 09/27/2001 11:11:43 PM PDT by Mulder

To: Myrddin
My dad's first criticism of the "air marshal" approach was the cost to pay 1 or more marshals per aircraft.

This in an excellent point, and one that is often ignored by the people who place "emotion over logic".

Yes, it would be nice to have an air marshall on every flight, but it is cost prohibitive as you state and John Lott implies. Furthermore, the job is incredibly boring, and a high turnover rate should be expected.

As a taxpayer, if someone has been thourougly trained, and is "clean" enough to get a security clearance, I'd much rather have them chasing down terrorists than keeping a seat plane warm for their entire careers.

CCW holders, police officers, and pilots should definately be allowed to carry guns on flights.

11 posted on 09/27/2001 11:16:36 PM PDT by Mulder
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Mulder
I have the security clearances too, but that's all I'll say on that matter. I wouldn't want the "job" as "air marshal". I would be willing to bring my CCW when I had a specific need to fly. The downside is that the very flights at most risk e.g. bound for Europe, would be problemmatic upon arrival with a firearm. That's about the only time I would have a legitimate need to fly on the class of aircraft that has been hijacked of late.
12 posted on 09/27/2001 11:36:37 PM PDT by Myrddin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Myrddin
I too, would gladly pay for the extra training to be able to carry on board. It is absolutly ridiculus that American citizens are being stripped of their fingernail files because some one some where did not do the job that they were suppossed to do. To be fair, I don't think that box cutters were ever prohibited, but even if they were, a regular pocket knife could have done the same thing.

Let the citizenry be armed, and many of the evils in today's world go away.

13 posted on 09/27/2001 11:48:07 PM PDT by Brad C.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

As much as I agree with the article, it's too much "out of the box" thinking for the bureaucracies that run and regulate airlines. They just can't think of anything other than to give us more of the same things that failed us in the past (metal detectors, baggage searches, banning scissors and nail clippers).

Heck, when they federalize airport security, the Wackenhut guys already there will just change their private security jackets for federal ones. And they'll be the bosses of the new hires. Think of that!

And Congress is no help here either. They're just as stuck in the box as all the rest of them

What we need is for Pres. Bush to issue an Executive Order mandating a national CCW with specific provisions relating to airports, aircraft, churches, restaurants, shopping malls, and other places where the public congregates.

Arm the public and let us be responsible for our own defense!

14 posted on 09/28/2001 12:07:47 AM PDT by etcetera

To: etcetera
italics off!
15 posted on 09/28/2001 12:09:25 AM PDT by etcetera
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: bang_list
Nobody flagged you guys?

(PING))))))

16 posted on 09/28/2001 2:38:01 AM PDT by backhoe (***feel Safer Yet? ? ?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Ain't gonna happen - although I don't remember hearing of a hijacking of a C-140 transport filled with Navy Seals.

But arming citizens - with all these "sleeper" stories floating around may make sense - but we need to train people in the use of firearms and keep the whack-o's off the street.

17 posted on 09/28/2001 4:06:29 AM PDT by The Raven

Thirty-three states currently have "right-to-carry" laws

Not so. They are "shall issue" a license states. As if we need licensure to defend ourselves...

Having a CHL means less hassle, now that I'm 'legal'.

18 posted on 09/28/2001 5:01:19 AM PDT by packrat01

To: packrat01
It's all really very simple: does government trust its citizens? If it ever gets to the point where it does, things may change for the better. If, on the other hand, government continues down the road to over-regulation of every facet of its citizens' lives, then we are on the road to ruin and nothing will stop us.

It all comes down to the old bumper sticker which says:

FEAR THE GOVERNMENT WHICH FEARS YOUR GUN

19 posted on 09/28/2001 5:29:36 AM PDT by Jerrybob
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: packrat01
Vermont is not "shall issue". They just understand the second amendment, so you can carry there. No permits or other unconstitutional BS.

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." - Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

To arms, to arms, the terrorists are coming!

America's Militia wants YOU!

We must be ever vigilant in protecting our inalienable rights as enumerated in the Constitution and BOR.

Congress has provided (Article I - Section. 8, U.S. Constitution) the Militia with a means to arm themselves: CMP (Civilian Markmenship Program).

Luke 22:36 (KJV) --Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Got sword? (M1 Garand ==>CMP)

No mercy, no quarter!
May the jihadists burn in hell for eternity!
Help speed them on their way!

Bible quotes in favor of annihilating jihadists

Molon Labe!

20 posted on 09/28/2001 5:42:52 AM PDT by TERMINATTOR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson