Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Military Practices Procedures for Shooting Down Airliners Each Week, Commander Says
Associated Press ^ | October 2, 2003 | Matt Kelley Associated Press Writer

Posted on 10/02/2003 9:01:55 AM PDT by all4one

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. military practices at least twice each week for the nightmare scenario of having to shoot down a civilian airliner hijacked by terrorists, the commander of forces in North America said Thursday. Gen. Ralph E. Eberhart, head of U.S. Northern Command, said a strong set of safeguards are in place to prevent an accidental or unwarranted shootdown of a commercial airplane. Commanders, pilots and air defense crews are drilled on those procedures as many as four times each week, Eberhart said.

The rules allow for an order to shoot down a civilian plane only if there is no other option to prevent a Sept. 11-style attack on the ground, the general said. There are authentication procedures for such orders to make sure "someone can't just get on the radio and say, 'This is the president, I order you to shoot down that plane,'" Eberhart said.

Military jets were in the air during the 2001 attacks but were too far away to shoot down the planes before they struck the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

Airline passengers can be confident that their planes will not be accidentally shot down, Eberhart said.

"I would take issue with anyone who would say the men and women in our armed forces are trigger happy," Eberhart said at a breakfast meeting with reporters. "I'm more worried that they would be trigger hesitant than trigger happy. We have long discussions with people to see if they're ready to do this."

Eberhart said he has never heard of a case where a pilot or missile battery operator was hesitant to shoot down a hijacked airliner. Those involved have repeated psychological screening and testing on the procedures to make sure they will follow those rules, Eberhart said.

The Pentagon created Northern Command in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks to coordinate military defense of the United States and response to attacks or natural disasters.

Eberhart, a four-star general from the Air Force, said the al-Qaida terrorist network responsible for the attacks two years ago has been seriously damaged.

"Most of the varsity players are gone. In most cases we're dealing with the junior varsity team or the freshman team," Eberhart said.

"But we can't rest on our laurels. We've got to keep the throttle up ... If anything, I think we've bought ourselves some time."

The arrests of three workers at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp for terrorist suspects have illustrated a concern about terrorists trying to penetrate the U.S. military, Eberhart said. The general said he had no indications of any coordinated terrorist effort to recruit American troops but said he had no doubt such efforts were happening.

"There's no doubt that there are people out there trying to turn our people," Eberhart said. "I'm sure there are people right now being worked on as we speak, and it's not working, and they're reporting it."

On the Net:

Northern Command: http://www.northcom.mil


TOPICS: Business/Economy; Crime/Corruption; Extended News; Government; News/Current Events; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: airlines; alqaida; defense; drill; economy; hijacking; military; northerncommand; pentagon; shootdown; terrorism
While I am not surprised that Northern Command is practicing to shoot down a hijacked commercial airliner. I posted this article because I was surprised by the frank manner in which Eberhart acknowledges terrorists trying to penetrate the U.S. military. If I recall correctly John Allen Muhammad (The Washington D.C. sniper) had been a member of the U.S. military. I wonder in this PC world how deep this problem runs? How without profiling can the extremists could be eradicated? Considering the recent news regarding Gitmo this is scary.
1 posted on 10/02/2003 9:01:56 AM PDT by all4one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: All
Donate to Free Republic, and Save Larry The Lobster!!!

Donate Here By Secure Server

Or mail checks to
FreeRepublic , LLC
PO BOX 9771
FRESNO, CA 93794

or you can use

PayPal at Jimrob@psnw.com

STOP BY AND BUMP THE FUNDRAISER THREAD-
It is in the breaking news sidebar!

2 posted on 10/02/2003 9:03:32 AM PDT by Support Free Republic (Your support keeps Free Republic going strong!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: all4one
How without profiling can the extremists could be eradicated? Considering the recent news regarding Gitmo this is scary.

It's naive to think that the military is not profiling. Of course they are, especially in cases where they'd be doing background checks.

I would be very surprised if some of those nice salamikazes weren't posted to Gitmo on purpose. The guys we know about were watched for months before they were arrested, and even the public reports suggest that we know at least some of the folks with whom they were corresponding.

3 posted on 10/02/2003 9:06:43 AM PDT by r9etb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: all4one; JohnHuang2; MeeknMing; DoughtyOne; B4Ranch; Sabertooth
<< Military Practices Procedures for Shooting Down Airliners Each Week, Commander Says >>

How nice to know the feral gummint on the one hand is training to mass-murder Americans while on the other allowing the massive hostile-criminal-alien invasion and colonization that has many times over proven its deadliness to continue unabated and denying the very Americans it trains to mass-murder -- and we pilots -- our Constitutional Right to own and bear the means to prevent mass-murder by either criminal-alien invader -- or by feral gummint -- from ever being even a possibility.

The bastards are all insanely evil -- and we're nuts to put up with them!

PING/Bump
4 posted on 10/02/2003 10:59:21 AM PDT by Brian Allen ( Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God - Thomas Jefferson)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: all4one
Military jets were in the air during the 2001 attacks but were too far away to shoot down the planes before they struck the World Trade Center and Pentagon

Yet, in 1999 when Payne Stewart's (PGA Golfer) Lear jet stopped responding to flight control, jet fighters were scrambled and on it in under 10 minutes. Whereas on 9-11-2001, not a single fighter could intercept one of 4 hijacked planes after their transponders stopped working? Even the AFB in DC wasn't able to scramble a jet quick enough to stop that jet from hitting the Pentagon? Amazing. And I'm supposed to trust that these morons won't accidentally shoot down a passenger airliner, when they were unable to defend this country at its worst moment since 1941? No thanks - I'll continue driving.
5 posted on 10/02/2003 11:28:01 AM PDT by Blzbba
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson