Posted on 02/19/2026 3:54:00 AM PST by marktwain
MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - A pair of shootings downtown Sunday were not connected, as police originally believed, authorities said Monday.
Police responded at 11:09 p.m. to a shooting near the intersection of Dauphin and South Joachim streets. Mobile Police Chief William Jackson said at a news conference that five men and two women, ranging in age from 24 to 30, suffered gunshot wounds. One of the victims remains in critical condition, according to the chief.
Jackson said the second shooting took place minutes later, about a block away, in the parking lot at Joachim and Conti streets, across from the Saenger Theatre. He said investigators have determined that was a would-be robbery and that the victim shot the assailant to death in an exchange of gunfire.
“We thought at first that it was all one incident,” he said. “We learned throughout the night that it was not one incident. It was two that happened almost simultaneously.”
Police questioned numerous witnesses and “persons of interest,” but Jackson said investigators are still trying to determine what sparked the violence at Dauphin and Joachim.
“Right now, we still don’t have a suspect,” he said. “We are still looking to canvas for video. We’re talking to witnesses and taking statements. Hopefully, that will lead us somewhere.”
Jackson identified the man who died in the other shooting as 21-year-old Javeli Alexander. He said Alexander was trying to steal jewelry from a man who had attended Mardi Gras parades earlier in the day and had remained downtown into the evening. He said the two exchanged 28 rounds. Jackson said at least three vehicles and a camper were struck.
“There were probably 45 to 50 officers in the area when this happened, whether it be on foot or on horseback,” he said. “So, it was saturated with patrols. And we had just moved additional resources to that area just moments before this happened.”
The gunfire occurred at a familiar spot. That two-block section of Dauphin Street has seen four high-profile shootings in the past four years, beginning with a shooting on Thanksgiving weekend in 2022 at a now-defunct club called the Paparazzi Lounge. Four people suffered gunshot wounds. A New Year’s Eve shooting that year left one dead and several injured. The man who pleaded guilty to murder, Thomas Earl Thomas Jr., is scheduled to be sentenced later this month. A shooting just after New Year’s Eve the following year killed a man.
And then, there were Sunday’s separate incidents.
On the sidewalk on Dauphin Street on Monday, a trail of blood stains could be seen. Jackson said investigators continue to comb through surveillance video and will release images if police identify a suspect who is recognizable.
As far as the safety of downtown, the chief said it is impractical to try to enforce a no-gun policy for an event like Mardi Gras that covers such a large area. He reiterated the large police presence.
“You can’t turn your head and look somewhere without seeing blue lights, without seeing officers walking, without seeing officers on horseback,” he said.
Mobile Mayor Spiro Cheriogotis said there is only so much police can do when people use violence to solve what he calls “problems with the heart and mind.” But he said folks shouldn’t be deterred from celebrating Fat Tuesday.
“What I want the people of Mobile and the people visiting Mardi Gras to know is that you are safe,” he said. “Come to the parade. Enjoy some time with your family. Catch some MoonPies. Know that you’re safe. This incident, from what we know, was not in any way related to Mardi Gras or the parades.”
|
Click here: to donate by Credit Card Or here: to donate by PayPal Or by mail to: Free Republic, LLC - PO Box 9771 - Fresno, CA 93794 Thank you very much and God bless you. |
“Thomas Earl Thomas Jr., is scheduled to be sentenced later this month”
Is he out on bond?
“victim shot the assailant to death”. GREAT NEWS.
Mobile is the home of Mardi Gras- i go every year not for Mardi Gras but Senior Bowl practice (usually the week or two before iMardi Gras starts) and run Dauphin Street every morning.
I noticed this year they put these large mechanical street bumps in the road cars need to drive slowly over- i assumed it was a result of what took place on New Years of 2025 in New Orleans.
“Keeping it real” in Mobile.
Bob Dylan - Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kh6K_-a0c4
There is more shooting in Mobile City Limits than all the State Wildlife Management Areas combined.
There is more shooting in Mobile City Limits than all the State Wildlife Management Areas combined.
stay far away from Mobile, its a real s-hole
My hometown. No one is surprised. We have a stereotypical inner city youth problem in downtown. If you have any self awareness and survival instincts you can usually avoid these incidents. I avoid them by staying at home, but in my younger days I was knee deep in Mardi Gras (I was in a parading organization and a reserve police officer). But a shithole? Well, maybe to the extent that all cities are these days.
GET THOSE MOBILES OUT OF INFANT CRIBS NOW!!!!
“He said the two exchanged 28 rounds”
Hmmm.
Seems to be a prime example of why laws that restrict law abiding citizens from buying or possessing magazines that hold more than seven to ten rounds and laws that restrict how many magazines/how much ammunition you’re allowed to carry on your person should be thrown out.
Just a good rule of thumb, IMHO, try to carry more ammunition than you’ll need . . .
Javeli
28 rounds
Somebody needs more range time
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.