Posted on 10/20/2022 2:36:42 PM PDT by nickcarraway
Three families dealing with unimaginable losses after their loved ones died suddenly and tragically in recent days say they are now dealing with scammers.
It’s been an emotional week in Barron County, Wisconsin as the community mourns 14-year-old Evah Garcia and 15-year-old Winter Brouillard killed last week in a roll-over crash.
Both families said they’ve had to create new fundraising pages after scammers made what appears to be various spoof accounts trying to solicit donations online.
“I think it’s just disgusting for people to take advantage of this kind of situation,” said Emilie Bailkey, Winter’s aunt.
Bailkey discovered several fake Instagram accounts set up with her picture and name after Winter’s death.
Bailkey shared with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS an Instagram message sent to people requesting online payments and gift cards, that pretended to be the family.
“We’re very, very disappointed,” Bailkey said. “That people are trying to take advantage of us.”
Gabriel Mendoza’s family created a fundraising page for his funeral after the security guard was shot Sunday night while at work in Minneapolis.
Hours after the family set up their GoFundMe fundraising page, Mendoza’s sister told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS someone created a spoof Facebook account with her image, and also created a direct cash payment link, trying to solicit donations.
“It just adds to the trauma that my family has to go through,” Mendoza’s sister said.
She asked 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS not to use her name since the shooter has yet to be found.
The FBI warns that after high-profile tragedies scammers can strike—adding if a charity or organization asks you to donate through cash, gift card, virtual currency, or wire transfer, it’s “probably a scam.”
More tips on safe fundraising from the Federal Trade Commission can be found here.
The three families mentioned above have shared with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS their current fundraising pages:
–Gabriel “Dino”Mendoza
–Evah
–Winter Brouillard
I get pretty annoyed when these “thieves” are labeled scammers.....they’re stealing .....no different then breaking into your home. Further putting anything on line is going to make you a target when it has to do with money....
If we allowed the families to have ten minutes with the scammers in the public square and provided them with baseball bats we would probably see a quick drop in this crime.
It’s really not fair! Only the family should be allowed to raise money off the death of a loved one!! I mean, what’s the world coming to?!?!
Interesting.
How long have you been a democrat?
Been an asshole all your life, or is this recent?
Should be perpetually “open season” on scammers and pedophiles with no bag limit.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.