Skip to comments.Chicago looting proves Black America deserves reparations — here's why
Posted on 08/30/2020 1:55:17 PM PDT by Belteshazzar
In the early hours of Aug. 10, caravans from across the city ransacked high-end stores in and around downtown after rumors circulated on social media that Chicago police had shot and killed a 15-year-old Black boy on the South Side. Police did shoot 20-year-old Latrell Allen, who is Black, the day before. Police allege Allen fired gunshots at them, but officers were not equipped with body-worn cameras, and no other footage of the incident has been made available. Allen is expected to recover.
Images of people walking in and out of department stores with their hands full of products transfixed a confused nation. Mayor Lori Lightfoot called the looting an assault on Chicago, while the Rev. Jesse Jackson said it was humiliating and morally wrong.
But young Black activists pushed back. When protesters attack high-end retail stores that are owned by the wealthy and service the wealthy, that is not our city and has never been meant for us, Black Lives Matter Chicago said in a statement after the looting. These protests can only end when the safety and wellbeing of our communities is finally prioritized. So which is it? Once the looting stopped, the nations attention quickly moved on. But the problems endemic to Chicago, the problems that provided the tinder for this particular blaze, remain. And they deserve to be addressed.
Prioritizing Black communities has always been a problem for Chicago. Since arriving en masse during the Great Migration more than a century ago, Black Chicagoans have been violently relegated to the margins, exploited at every turn and expected to do more with less. Racism in Chicago even shocked Martin Luther King Jr., who said he had never seen even in Mississippi and Alabama mobs as hostile and as hate-filled as the ones he saw here.
(Excerpt) Read more at yahoo.com ...
Do some addition everyone. Since Carter Henry Harrison IV, mayor from 1897-1905, Chicago has had precisely two Republican mayors, Fred A. Busse, from 1907-1911, and William Hale "Big Bill" Thompson, 1915-1923 and 1927-1931, who was totally a tool of Johnny Torrio and Al Capone. All the rest have been democrats, which includes the last 89 YEARS!
Is any of this mentioned in the article? No. This is quite a masterpiece of investigative journalism.
No doubt it is all Trump's fault.
>>”Since arriving en masse during the Great Migration more than a century ago, Black Chicagoans have been violently relegated to the margins, exploited at every turn and expected to do more with less.”
Tell them to blame Oprah. She’s from Chicago and is a billionaire. She got their share, no doubt.
Sorry, it isn’t the Democrats. It’s those who elect them. You can’t help people who won’t obey the law and take responsibility for themselves and their children.
“When protesters attack high-end retail stores that are owned by the wealthy and service the wealthy, that is not our city and has never been meant for us”
There are no wealthy black people? In Chicago? (Oprah, Obama)
There are no poor white people? In Chicago?
This man’s a hate filled racist, Jim.
Great logic - If somebody's a serial killer, it proves the people he killed had it coming.
The only reparations this racist should get is a way one permanent ticket to his ancestral homelands
These protests can only end when the safety and wellbeing of our communities is finally prioritized.
Y’all need to stop shooting each other then....
All we read and see from the MEDIA conglomerate CBSABCNBCMSNBCCNN this days is CREATIVE writing exercise...
They cannot simply report the news...it must be spun and positioned for political effect...
Makes me sick and I can no longer watch these clowns...and they truly are employed as CLOWNS by CLOWNS... ;-I
the poor whites and every other minority understand they can’t have things they can’t earn
gotta pay for stuff
stealing isnt a virtue and neither is poverty
this is what generous efer expanding welfare systems that require no work from those living off them, result in. entitled demanding poor that don’t feel they have to better themselves and believe their stealing is fine because they ‘feel’ they deserve and need it.
in other words, jungle rules, anarchy
they hypocritically cry for the cops when their stuff gets stolen or they are shot or injured, though
Yeah no doubt that people who can’t feed their families will feel much better having that Gucci and Chanel bag/sarc
Hourly , Daily , Weekly ,Monthly or Yearly Reparations ? because it would NEVER END
When protesters attack high-end retail stores that are owned by the wealthy and service the wealthy, that is not our city and has never been meant for us,
Stay in school, study, get a good education, get a good job and WORK...Those “high-end” retail stores will be GLAD to sell you whatever you want...
its democrats who elect them
and democrat leaders who work to flush the community down the toilet for everyone
Ah, but it is easier to write ABCNNBCBS!
Oh wait they’re Black Americans now ,how many times will change what they are ?
Yeah, really...notice how no one loots grocery stores.
1) Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when youve never had a job.
2) Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance.
3) Privilege is having a Smartphone with a Data plan, which you receive no bill for.
4) Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you dont have a utility or phone bill and where rising property taxes, rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table, which is largely covered by Government Food Stamps.
5) Privilege is having free health insurance for you and your family that’s paid for by working taxpayers who often can’t afford proper health coverage for their own families.
6) Privilege is having multiple national organizations promoting and protecting just your race alone — that are subsidized by federal tax dollars.
7) Privilege is having access to a national college fund that supports only one race.
8) Privilege is having a television network that supports only one race.
9) Privilege is having most of the media news networks refuse to cover incidents wherein one race (one-eighth of the population) commits 50% of the crimes.
10) Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest against anything that triggers you, without worrying about calling off from work and the consequences that accompany such.
11) Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or pre-school you dont pay for.
12) Privilege is being able to vote in many states without showing a driver’s license, voter ID card or other credentials — just because your race claims they should be exempt from such requirements.
13) Privilege is being able to riot, loot, commit arson and tear down historic monuments without consequences — just because you don’t like folks such as Columbus, U. S. Grant or even Lincoln.
“transfixed a confused nation”
So the Mafia owes reparations. Good luck.
#17 = Bravo !
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.