Skip to comments.Gingrich, Christie are the leading candidates to be Trump’s running mate
Posted on 06/30/2016 5:49:53 PM PDT by monkapotamus
Donald Trumps campaign has begun formally vetting possible running mates, with former House speaker Newt Gingrich emerging as the leading candidate, followed by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. But there are more than a half-dozen others being discussed as possibilities, according to several people with knowledge of the process.
Given Trumps unpredictability, campaign associates caution that the presumptive Republican nominee could still shake up his shortlist. But with little more than two weeks before the start of the Republican National Convention, Gingrich and Christie have been asked to submit documents and are being cast as favorites for the post inside the campaign. Gingrich in particular is the beneficiary of a drumbeat of support from Trump confidants such as Ben Carson...
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
Gingrich is too old, plus when Trump calls him in for a meeting, he won’t be in his office. He’ll find him sitting on a sofa somewhere with his friend Nancy Pelosi.
IN, Governor, Mike Pence, Republican, 100%.
So—The bromance between Christie and Obama is over?
No, and hell-freaking no.
Recently, I have found that stupid smile on Newt’s face, for no reason, very annoying. It’s rather arrogant. He’s smart, for sure, but someone who thinks they’re so smart they can look down and have a rather scoffing attitude toward everyone else isn’t as smart as they think.
That’s it then. I’m thinking I like Mike Pence. Done. Going to call The Donald.
The Washington Post has no credibility on any “reporting” or stories done about Trump. None.
Again, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, I don’t like the list I think it is all a shell game to keep us off track as to who he is really looking at.
Don’t worry about who would make a good POTUS, or who make make a good candidate in 2024. More important is to win in 2016. We need someone who can kick butt in the VP debate. For that, Christie is the man. Remember how he single-handedly destroyed Rubio?
I think Trump likes Christie if for no other reason that he puts NJ in play for the GOP. It has been leaning away from Dems for the last few years. If he can flip NJ it offsets risk of loss from PA or FL. Not entirely but helps. Dems need NJ more than GOP does, and worst case it forces them to allocate resources to keep it all at minimal cost to the GOP since any support gained will be due to Christie and not due to outspending the dems.
Of the possibilities mentioned in this thread, I’d like to probe Mike Pence a little further. Sessions is amazing, but he and Gingrich are a bit too old. Christie for AG! His only strong suit for Veep would be his debating skills.
Still, I hope Trump will surprise all of us with a dark horse!!
Looks like we have another Hillary supporter
The Case for Rand Paul as Trump's VP Choice
Follow me on this...
* Trump needs to get things through the House and Senate.
* With Newt as Chief of Staff, he can work Bills through the House with him, Newt knows were all the bodies are burried.
* And with Paul as Presiding over the Senate he has got a contact with the Senate to maneuver through that mind field.
* More So...
* IMHO Mitch McConnell owes Rand.....
* Say what you will about Matt Bevin as a Senate Candidate, he is the Gov. now, and is not to be taken lightly IMHO. Without Rand endorsing McConnell it might have been Senator Bevin.
* As a Fellow Freeper noted they have seen Sanders and Paul bumper stickers on cars in College / Liberal areas.
* FWIW, the Bernsters are not going to pull the lever for Kim Jong Shrill.
* As someone who is around kids I have noted the Millennial interest in Rand and I think he could swing a number of disaffected Bernie Voters to Trump, they like him he has got that Uncandidate Hipster thing going on and they dig it.
Three other things....
* Rand bowed out early with grace. and gave an unequivocal 100% Endorsement of Donald Trump
* Rand is also deemed as an outsider, he is an "insurance policy" that the ticket will not cave to the establishment
* And he was the only one to talk about cutting government and the debt, something that Trump around the edges has noted.
Sounds like a winner to me
Ha! You so funny American Soldier Boy.
Christie? Really? *SMIRK*
Gingrich has this Foot In Mouth Disease that pops up when you least expect it
Hmmmm...hadn’t thought of that...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.