Posted on 02/28/2006 3:55:02 PM PST by SwinneySwitch
CLEVELAND (AP) -- A federal magistrate ordered a man with dual U.S.-Jordanian citizenship held without bail Tuesday on charges he plotted with two co-defendants to wage attacks against American and allied troops.
Prosecutors argued that Mohammad Zaki Amawi should not be released because of the risk of harm to the community or the chance that he would flee the country. He has family in Jordan and regularly traveled overseas, prosecutors said.
Amawi's attorney, Dennis Terez, said there was no threat that his client would flee and that Amawi's mother and brother living in Toledo had agreed to share their home with him.
Amawi, 26, didn't comment during the hearing before Magistrate Judge Kenneth S. McHargh.
Amawi, who was arrested in Amman, Jordan, was charged last week along with Wassim I. Mazloum, 24, and Marwan Othman El-Hindi, 43. All three lived in Toledo within the last year. They have pleaded not guilty.
The government accuses them of plotting to kill U.S. soldiers overseas and of harboring or concealing terrorists.
An indictment says they traveled together to a shooting range to practice and studied the making of explosives. It alleges that at least one of the men researched and tried to obtain government grants and private funding for the training.
Liberalism is a mental disease.
Amazing....simply amazing ...get the government to fund the jihad..
bump for publicity
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.