Posted on 10/06/2005 11:32:06 AM PDT by Crackingham
The head of the Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday that by June 2006 the flood defenses for New Orleans should be restored to the level at which they stood when Hurricane Katrina struck and overpowered them. But Lt. Gen. Carl Strock, commander of the U.S. Corps of Engineers, acknowledged that such an achievement would provide little comfort in a city devastated by storm and whose flood protection isn't as strong as it should be.
Strock said that his organization currently has no authority to rebuild the city's flood protection for hurricanes stronger than a Category 3 storm. Some have argued that New Orleans needs protection against a Category 4 or 5 storm.
"We must be directed through legislation to go to that level of protection," the general told a Pentagon news conference.
Of the plan to get the protective system back to where it was earlier this year, he said, "That's an ambitious goal. We think we can make it."
Katrina was a Category 4 hurricane when it hit the Louisiana coastline on Aug. 29. Strock said the cost of restoring the damaged levees in New Orleans is likely to reach about $1.6 billion.
Does this mean they are going to repair the levies that King Louie accused whites of blowing up??
You know, you just can't trust those white people. If they blew them up once, they will do it again and again until there are no black left in NOLA and the republicans run the place.
Turn it into a marina.
Oh yeah, cause they worked so well the last time. /eyeroll
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.