Posted on 07/26/2004 12:02:10 AM PDT by kattracks
July 26, 2004 -- The Bush administration is examining whether to declassify the top-secret memo that former Clinton National Security Adviser Sandy Berger took out of the National Archives, sparking a criminal probe, officials say. The memo, written on Berger's orders, is said to include a highly critical review of Clinton-era handling of the Millennium plot, as well as 29 proposals to tighten security. By some accounts, the Clinton team only adopted one of the proposals.A government official said discussions on declassifying the memo began last April and have nothing to do with the "Socks-Docs" probe of whether Berger hid the memos in his socks or pants to sneak them out of a secure reading room when he worked for the 9/11 Commission.
"No decisions have been made," the official added.
(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...
Posterity Bump
A government official said discussions on declassifying the memo began last April and have nothing to do with the "Socks-Docs" probe of whether Berger hid the memos in his socks or pants to sneak them out of a secure reading room when he worked for the 9/11 Commission.
I hope they declassify all the behind closed doors testimony of the 9/11 commission, including all of Richard Clarke's.
ditto.
LEGS!...Luv it!
Predictably, Clinton defended this Pantload Berger saying everybody who knew the guy in the WH always saw him "buried in papers."
That sends a chill up the spine of every patriotic American.
If under intense scrutiny at the Ntl Archives, Berger had the gall to steal classified documents, one can only wonder what he did to compromise ntl security in the "anything goes" Clinton-era WH.
......when Archives staffers realized Berger had taken documents they ran a sting operation in which they coded some documents Berger requested. That confirmed that they were missing after Berger left and the documents were checked.
Later, when archives staffers asked Berger to return missing documents, Berger returned some that they hadn't even realized had been taken.
The question is how many other classified documents Berger lifted.......and whether Berger was trying to plant exculpatory documents into the historic record to rewrite terrorism episodes that labeled him and the Clintons criminally negligent about US national security.
Liz, this whole thing is a hoot to watch unfold. That is, as long as you aren't distracted by the left hand and miss what the right hand is doing. I'm really loving this. "Don't mess with Texas" takes on a whole new meaning.
"Don't mess with Texas" takes on a whole new meaning".
Many of FR had better get the salt and pepper ready. After all of the bashing that Rove and company have gotten here, there will be a few words that have to be made palatable.
I am so happy that someone else sees the real game behind the Chess pieces. All I can say is, "You ain't seen nuthin' yet"!
LLS
My fear is not what was removed, but rather what was added. Remember, when Berger returned some docs, archives staff never knew some were missing- maybe they weren't since they were never there.
I'll be smiling broadly as I watch it unfold. I'm sure it will be a thing of beauty.
Keep in mind that they were both key players in Chinagate, too. Both Chinagate and 911 have, as the ultimate intended result, the destruction of the United States of America--intended by Red China and al Qaeda respectively.
OK, there are 3 sentences which are factual and can be backed up by long recitation of facts. Now if I were to speculate on the intents of our domestic perps, I would get scolded for extremism and possibly wearing a foil hat. So I won't speculate, I'll just leave those facts laid out.
Also speaking of Clintonista domestic perps, how about a CIA official (NOT a 007 type) who's area of expertise is nonproliferation. One assumes the official USA position is to restrict proliferation, not to cover it up so that foreign enemies of our country can proceed with it and possibly destroy us.
The espionage at Los Alamos--also a Chicom enterprise--is just another branch of Chinagate and was facilitated by yet another prominent Clintonista domestic perp.
I realize that most folks believe that all these treasonous attacks on US were motivated solely by two things: money and the destruction of President Bush so that the Clintons could return to power. Occam's Razor and so on. That these people are just so greedy and hate George Bush so much that they'll happily risk destroying the country.
Maybe that's all it is. It's probably extreme and tin foilish to wonder if maybe it's part of a plan.
I'll bet my paycheck that those original handwritten margin notes were as incriminating as anything, and that they were destroyed without ever being copied.
If Bergler stole the original and then conveniently "lost" it, how can they declassify a document they no longer have?




______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Agree...MSM should be pounded on this breach of National Security.
Reports say Berger caught in the act only twice?
The man is a serial national security thief. He just never got caught.
It's scary this slob Berger was in the WH privy to our Nation's top secrets
Imagine the danger we were in?
"Thanks a lot Bergler for the 9/11 attacks."
You're right. This isn't about Clarke's draft report, this is about senior people's comments on it. Clarke wrote the document basically saying, "We got really lucky, we have to do a whole bunch more to stop terrorism like...." and virtually none of his proposals were adopted.
You can bet that when he circulated the copies of the draft for comment to all relevant parties, and they marked it up with comments, they were covered with comments like "Too unpopular" "this won't poll well" "WJC will never go for this" "There is not a political will for changes like this" etc. It was those comments that Berger set out to destroy, and he apparently succeeded. Those comments would have clearly landed the sound bite blame in Billy's lap. We can release the draft report all day long, I want to know what the comments on the draft were. And if they were destroyed, I want to know WHOSE copies of the draft, whose commments, were destroyed. I bet one of them was sent to Berger for comment. Who did the other draft go to for comments? WJC?
This refers to the "final" version of the report, which was made available to the 9/11 Commission.
This does not pertain to the many draft versions leading up to the final version. Bergler is accused of "inadvertently" taking and "inadvertently" discarding several of the draft versions -- which many have claimed were originals and included handwritten comments on them.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.