Posted on 12/08/2003 1:05:45 PM PST by TexKat
ISTANBUL, Turkey - The United States on Monday moved its consulate in the southern Turkish city of Adana to a more secure building across town amid, a U.S. official said, citing security concerns.
In June, a Turkish assailant tossed two bombs into the garden of the consulate, causing minor damage but no injuries.
A U.S. official in Ankara said the consulate has been moved to "a more secure location" several miles away. The move had been planned for some time, the official added.
The consulate move follows a string of suicide attacks last month in Istanbul that killed 61 people. One of the strikes destroyed the British consulate.
The Adana consulate deals mainly with American military personnel at nearby Incirlik air base. Many of those troops left during the Iraq war, after the U.S. Air Force ended its patrols from Incirlik over northern Iraq.
The United States recently moved its Istanbul consulate from a crowded neighborhood, near the site of the bombed British consulate, to a more secure suburban location.
Besides the Istanbul and Adana consulates, the United States maintains its embassy in Ankara and another consulate in the Aegean Sea port of Izmir.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.