|This thread has been locked, it will not receive new replies.|
Locked on 05/08/2006 4:49:37 AM PDT by Admin Moderator, reason:
Continuing here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/1628490/posts
Skip to comments.American Idol 2006--Live Thread (Part II)
Posted on 03/24/2006 9:00:43 PM PST by silent_jonny
In their face, Tay-Tay! Was it the best performance ever? No, but it was the return of the happy dance and Taylor the way the beer drinkers love him. I thought his dancing was GREAT.
I missed all this last night--typing too much :)
The scar is not amused!
1. Chris: His first song carried the evening. Pretty good rendition of Renegade. His second song was a struggle. Poor song selection.
2. Paris: Solid, if not particularly compelling. "Kiss" was a poor song selection. Prince is unique, and that song was uniquely done. Gave a good performance of Mary J. Blige's big hit. Nothing flashy, but solid vocals and performance. Somebody needs to help her not swallow up notes every once in a while when she sings.
3. Taylor: As I thought yesterday when it was posted here that Taylor would be singing "Play That Funky Music", that song was a disaster. One of the consistent mistakes AI performers make when choosing songs is choosing group songs. Taylor chose the song for the fun aspect, and I guess you can call his performance fun (maybe funny is the better word), but it was not good. Second song was well chosen and I think he gave a heartfelt rendition. May have saved his bacon on the night.
4. Elliott: Elliott should consider never performing a fast song again on the competition and his voice is not a good fit for George Benson. Without a doubt, his worst performance in several weeks. Second song was really good. Not a song I am familiar with, so I have no idea whether he basically sung it as the original artist or if he added his own flavor to it. Nonetheless, very smooth, great vocals, excellent song choice.
5. Katherine: Time for her to go. Her song choices were both poor. Her performances sounded more like what one would hear on the talent competition of a beauty pageant. The singing on her knees was quite frankly, stupid. I suppose it was done to show some kind of rapport with the drummers, but it was just poor.
Down the stretch, it is Chris by 5 lengths. It will be interesting to see if anybody will show a finishing kick that will bring them home past him at the end. I maintain there may be no stars on this years show, although I do think in the end Paris will end up selling the most albums because she has the most unrealized potential.
Were you griping last week, when his first song choice Try a Little Tenderness (a love song, performed by several artists on albums of love songs) was rejected at the last minute because AI decided it wasn't a love song, and he had to learn a new song in one day? Were you griping then?
Paris was born in 1988 and "Kiss" by Prince was #1 in 1986 in the US and top 10 in the UK in 1986. The Tom Jones/Art of Noise and Age of Chance versions were both in 1989. There was a re-release of "Kiss" in the UK in 1988 but it didn't rechart then. You going to gripe about that too?
That picture of Katherine.
Could you send your post to Simon, please!? :)
One thing to also consider is that the songs are back to "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am" lengths which makes it harder to do songs any justice. Look at Taylor's PTFM....opening bars, jump right in rather than letting the guitar strum, a big "Heyyyyyyyy", the band kicks in and then 20 seconds are gone before the real vocal starts. If they miss a note or start off out of synch with the band (which wasn't great last night) then you can pretty much forget the song.
When there are 4 contestants maybe they can up the song to 2 minutes. Elliott's second song would have been better and Taylor could certainly have drawn it out longer.
marky mark mark
I'd rather have a pic of that smug look on his face after he finished "Something". That was hilarious.
I love that! That was Taylor showing that TCO isn't the only one who can sing laying down. ; )
WHOO! Soul Patrol!
LOL!!! Now thats something. :)
That is SO funny! She must wear it to distract people from her own hideousness!!
If next week is Elvis week, do you think they will split the theme again? What might the other songs be?
LMAO!! Behold the power of The Scar!!
*Note to self: Never look directly at Ace's scar.
OMG! jonny!!!! That 10,000 poster post is one of the funniest things I have EVER read!!!!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.