Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Why can't I buy a gun in less than 20 days?
Gun shop | 10/8/01 | self

Posted on 10/08/2001 2:23:39 PM PDT by freeplancer

Living in the state of Utah, which does not have a mandatory waiting period for buying high-power rifles for big game hunting, why is my back ground check taking so long. I attempted to purchase a new deer rifle on the 21st of August and after calling the gun dealer 5 times, they still have not recieved an answer from who ever they call back ground info to (FBI? ATF?). That means it has been 20 days and counting. If any of you gun persons can give me some helpful info, I would appreciate it. Is there a law or any stipulation that the Feds have only so long to comply with a background request? Is there anything I can do? Thank goodness I have guns or my whole hunting season would have been ruined. What a frustrating situation. Thanks for your time.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-31 next last

1 posted on 10/08/2001 2:23:39 PM PDT by freeplancer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: bang_list
Posting to the bang list
2 posted on 10/08/2001 2:28:13 PM PDT by RippleFire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: freeplancer
Shop early and emulate the Boy Scouts' pledge.
3 posted on 10/08/2001 2:30:51 PM PDT by Eric in the Ozarks

I believe they only have 72 hrs to do the check and if in that time they don't give an answer the shop can turn over the gun.

I am not positive on that, but I am pretty sure it is correct. Now if the gun shop won't turn it over until the check is completed, then that is another story.

I would go to the shop and ask in person. They may hand it over if you are in person.

4 posted on 10/08/2001 2:32:42 PM PDT by TheErnFormerlyKnownAsBig

Yes, the law is fairly clear: If you have not been DENIED in (I believe) 5 days, the gun shop can make the transfer.
But most gunshops are chickenstuff, and will not do so, even though the law is plainly on their side.

What I recommend is you make your purchase from a private seller - like at a gun show!
Or at the very least, find anothyer gun shop.

5 posted on 10/08/2001 2:34:56 PM PDT by Redbob

I would keep the pressure on the gun store. A couple of years ago I was buying my husband a shotgun for his birthday, the phone rang and it was the FBI. The agent was so furious that the phone numbers had been transposed and he had ended up calling me by mistake. I calmed him down and told him it was not that major a thing, we had a nice chat.

They may be back logged, alot of people are buying guns that have never owned one before. Things can be pretty inefficent and your paper work may have fallen trough a crack.

6 posted on 10/08/2001 2:35:29 PM PDT by MissAmericanPie

After 72 hours they have to give it to you, even if they haven't heard from NICS. Go in and tell them to give you your rifle! If they won't tell them they are violating federal law.
7 posted on 10/08/2001 2:36:29 PM PDT by 6ppc

Print out this thread and take it with you when you go.

And tell them I told you that you need to find a new gun shop.

8 posted on 10/08/2001 2:39:02 PM PDT by Billthedrill

I have a sneaky suspicion that the problem is not the FBI. Take Big ern's advice and you may have to get your money back.
9 posted on 10/08/2001 2:41:53 PM PDT by Shooter 2.5

To: MissAmericanPie
You bought your husband a shotgun for his birthday? Hold on a second. "Honey come take a look at this. This gal bought her husband a shotgun."

Thanks, message sent.

10 posted on 10/08/2001 2:43:43 PM PDT by TheErnFormerlyKnownAsBig
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

>>I attempted to purchase a new deer rifle on the 21st of August and after calling the gun dealer 5 times, they still have not recieved an answer from who ever they call back ground info to (FBI? ATF?). That means it has been 20 days and counting.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, there is a "waiting period" of 45-60 days for a first rifle and 60-180 days for a first handgun -- if you can get one at all. Your local police chief has absolute, unappealable authority to say he won't give you a license because he doesn't like gays, or Jews, or women, or (insert catagory here). And his decision cannot be appealed. Count yourself lucky.

Massachusetts. Home of the most discriminatory laws in the US.

11 posted on 10/08/2001 2:44:28 PM PDT by pabianice

I think it might also be a backlog. After the 9/11 attacks LOTS of people went out to buy guns. A friend of mine told me a similar story about a long wait. And I'm from IL.
12 posted on 10/08/2001 2:46:26 PM PDT by Brasky

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

Really? Utah was solidly Bush why do you have such commie regulations? It's time to get an initiative going to change the rules to no waiting period.
14 posted on 10/08/2001 2:52:16 PM PDT by a_federalist

Sue the FBI or whoever is holding this up for violating your civil rights.
15 posted on 10/08/2001 2:57:56 PM PDT by NC_Libertarian

To: MissAmericanPie
A couple of years ago I was buying my husband a shotgun for his birthday

I sincerely hope HE filled out the BATF form. Can't buy 'em for someone else. Stupid law, but there ya go.

16 posted on 10/08/2001 3:07:07 PM PDT by RogueIsland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

According to my booklet on Washington state firearm law it says:
Non-CPL holders must go through NICS and the state's five-day wait for delivery of hangun, but not long gun
Long gun purchases, unless you hold a 'NICS Exempt' CPL, are all subject to the Insta-Check
Purchases on CPLs issues after Nov 30, 1998 require a NICS check on any firearm purchase, but the five day waiting period is waived

The CPL is a Concealed Pistol License (aka CCW). Says that Insta-Check can be instant or up to 3 days.
Based on this I would get a concealed carry, might make the process smoother. But you have to give your fingerprints over to the FBI.
17 posted on 10/08/2001 3:11:52 PM PDT by lelio

To: pabianice
"...And his decision cannot be appealed..."

But it CAN be ignored

Buy from a private seller, be discreet and to hell with their illegal, unconstitutional pseudo-laws.

18 posted on 10/08/2001 3:18:03 PM PDT by DWSUWF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Move to Texas.
19 posted on 10/08/2001 3:22:22 PM PDT by No Truce With Kings

To: pabianice
You need to talk to old Teddy boy and get that Sh!* changed. Sure glad I live out here on the prairie of Kansas. Wake up America !! Join and support the NRA.
20 posted on 10/08/2001 3:25:38 PM PDT by wearredcaps
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-31 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson