Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

America strikes back, Rush Reacts (Sunday Special * Message from Rush Limbaugh)
rushlimbaugh ^ | 10/7/2001 | Rush Limbaugh

Posted on 10/07/2001 3:53:21 PM PDT by TLBSHOW

America strikes back, Rush Reacts

My friends, by Monday, we should have a lot more knowledge of just what kind of damage we have wrought, if any, and we will be able to discuss it in much greater detail then, with a little bit more knowledge than we have now. After all, we are still in the midst of this first round of attacks, and even when this day is over, what we are told about what we have accomplished may be very little.

It's going to be, I do think, a different kind of war, especially in this respect: I think the American people are going to be treated in a different way in terms of what we are spoon fed or told about these operations, success-wise and failure-wise. Because one thing is for sure: this will not be quick. This is not something that is going to take little time. This is a major operation. We have clearly staked out now, as a golden objective, the elimination of terrorism - and that is not a mission that can be achieved overnight. So those of you who are looking for that eager moment when you can return to whatever your normality is, understand this: that in this country you still have - for the most part, compared to the rest of the people in the world - that chance.

The American people still have as their number one opportunity (if they seek to exercise it) to get up every day and pursue happiness. You are going to be hearing me saying this often, because I think it's important to keep this in perspective, given the rest of the world and how it lives versus the United States.

Now this can mean so many things. When I say, "pursue happiness," I don't mean hedonism. You can pursue whatever gives your life meaning. You and I are not faced, each and every day, with what most of the world's population is faced with - and that is finding enough food to get through the day. We are not faced with the prospect of staying alive that day or keeping our families alive. We don't get up with our first objective to survive. We don't get up with our first objective to make sure we are not doing something, or going somewhere, where we will be discovered by some government agent. Not unless, of course, we are breaking the law.

Despite all that's happened, we still have the opportunity to get up each day and go about our lives in ways we choose. I think it's important to never take that for granted or forget it. As you look at these pictures from Afghanistan and Kabul - both today and before the bombings started - just look at the way these people in Afghanistan live. They ride donkeys around, folks! They live in caves. Yet at the same time, these people defeated the Soviet Red Army - with our help, and our stinger missiles and so forth.

So they are tough people, and they have to be. But they have a different objective in life. Their purpose, and not just religious, but their whole mindset is different than ours. We have, since September 11th, desired this return to normalcy, but we really haven't lost normalcy. Yes, it's a different America now. We hear about Anthrax. We hear about Dengue Fever in Maui. We hear about crop dusters. We have to be vigilant because we know that we are now susceptible to attack. But if you get in your car and travel around today, this country looks just like it did on September 10th - unless you go to downtown Manhattan. It looks just like it always has, and people are going to be doing everything they have always done.

As we speak - while all the networks are broadcasting every detail - I can grab my remote control and I can find a football game. In fact, I can find two of the worst games. I have the Giants and Redskins here. Who gives a flying care? But that's what you get and we are still free to watch it. They are playing.

We have the Miami Dolphins and the New England Patriots. Who cares? There are much better games, but at least we have football games. Two networks are not even covering the news. Instead they are honoring the contract with the NFL. That's pretty normal when you consider we are at war.

So we are very fortunate people, folks - and that is the point. We have so much to fight for and to hold onto to keep our country this way, and that requires an understanding of just how fortunate we are, and what it is that sets us apart from the rest of the world. I have always believed that what makes us special is the freedom that our Founding Fathers knew that we were created with this natural spirit, this yearning to be free. They embodied it in our Constitution, and they limited what the government could do to infringe upon our freedoms.

p>They didn't write a Constitution that empowered government. They wrote one that empowered us. And it requires us to hold onto that power - that was documented - and to live that human spirit, to exercise the God-given aspects of our creation, because that's what makes this country stand out after barely 200 years. We have run circles around countries that have been around thousands and thousands of years - and it's worth knowing why and remembering why, so that we can continue to do so for centuries to come.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-78 next last

1 posted on 10/07/2001 3:53:21 PM PDT by TLBSHOW
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: TLBSHOW
by Monday, we should have a lot more knowledge of just what kind of damage we have wrought

This is interesting.

When politicians want to dump bad news, they usually do it on a Friday, because most people stop caring about the news over the weekend, and by Monday, it's "old news."

Could the timing of this strike have been set to get the most media attention? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's Bush's job to rally the country!)

2 posted on 10/07/2001 3:57:46 PM PDT by xm177e2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

As we speak - while all the networks are broadcasting every detail - I can grab my remote control and I can find a football game.

Try to imagine the Maharushy on D-day.

3 posted on 10/07/2001 4:00:53 PM PDT by A Vast RightWing Conspirator

"We have run circles around countries that have been around thousands and thousands of years - and it's worth knowing why and remembering why, so that we can continue to do so for centuries to come."

This is what makes Arab religious fanatics cry "arrogance" toward the USA. They are an envious, jealous bunch. When our farmers go to Arab lands to teach farming, they are immediately rejected because they try to predict and bring about a consistent crop yield. For these fanatics this is another example of arrogance against their god.

4 posted on 10/07/2001 4:07:11 PM PDT by Fester Chugabrew

Where has Rush been all last week, anyway? No explanation has been given on his show.
5 posted on 10/07/2001 4:12:14 PM PDT by germanshepherd

Sunday Special * Message from Rush Limbaugh)

Anyone know how many days Rush has been away from the mike since he signed his megabucks contract? What's that have anything to do with it, you ask? Oh well!! We get a Sunday special, and can't seem to get a weekly message. Tony'll keep us advised though. See ya.

6 posted on 10/07/2001 4:14:04 PM PDT by boothead

To: germanshepherd
His voice sounds horrible! I hope he's well.
7 posted on 10/07/2001 4:14:34 PM PDT by GOP_Lady
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: boothead
We have so much to fight for and to hold onto to keep our country this way, and that requires an understanding of just how fortunate we are, and what it is that sets us apart from the rest of the world. I have always believed that what makes us special is the freedom that our Founding Fathers knew that we were created with this natural spirit, this yearning to be free.

I liked this one.

8 posted on 10/07/2001 4:18:45 PM PDT by TLBSHOW
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Hey butthead. What are you talking about...a weekly message?

He deserves time off too! Rush takes days off mostly for Charity...DO YOU?

Why did they take Tony off the air today and have Brit fill in all of a sudden? Tony sounded aggravated right before they took him off the air.....wonder what happened?

Rush also took calls today from 24/7 subscribers to his website....we got emails. He doesnt' have to work on Sundays....like I am sure YOU DO.

9 posted on 10/07/2001 4:24:09 PM PDT by Sungirl

Rush is being cautiously optimistic - The United States, leading a coalition of other nations throughout the world, will track down and eliminate the terrorist threats wherever they may arise. Right now it is al-Qaeda, but there are some more on the list, with admittedly two choices facing them - terminate their terrorist activities and shut up with the terrorist rhetoric, or face the same eventual fate of the doomed al-Qaeda. But more importantly, Rush is emphasizing the point that we will not even break out in a sweat doing so, even to the point of maintaining the appearance of normal day-to-day activities. The Emmy awards were canceled (again), but who misses them that much, except for a few egocentrics in California? Second-rate football games go on, a new world record of home runs in a single season was set, Michael Jordan comes out of retirement (again), all the sports trivia for those who gather around water fountains is still going on, and the war continues as a muted rumbling in the background. Which may be the situation for years if not decades. Look how long the confrontation with the former Soviet Union lasted. The American Empire is the worthy successor to the British Empire, and after having studied all ther mistakes, we probably can maintain the momentum even longer than they did.
10 posted on 10/07/2001 4:31:29 PM PDT by alloysteel

To: GOP_Lady

That's funny, I was thinking his voice sounded more like the old Rush. He's very important to our country. We need to pray for him too.

11 posted on 10/07/2001 4:38:03 PM PDT by germanshepherd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I'm a long-time Rush listener, and also a 24/7 subscriber, and this morning, I got an e-mail, indicating I could call in to the regular RUSH 800 number today (Sunday) and ask questions, and that the phone calls would be recorded and possibly used on other shows. The time for this "special" call in was 11:00am EST until 1:00pm EST.............

I'm betting he had some "inside" info, because this particular Sunday session has never occurred previously....... Maybe I'm just getting paranoid

12 posted on 10/07/2001 4:39:38 PM PDT by JENINMO

To: JENINMO
BUMP
13 posted on 10/07/2001 4:42:52 PM PDT by TLBSHOW
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Lately, he's sounded to me like someone talking with a wad of chewing tobacco in their mouth.

14 posted on 10/07/2001 4:44:04 PM PDT by Amelia

To: Amelia
Since Rush was pulled to a new station locally, I no longer hear him.

In fact, I tuned him in about two weeks ago for the first time in perhaps six months or longer.

I did not recognize his voice. I thought he was perhaps "trying to put on airs," but the thought that he may not be well -- as you suggest -- troubles me and seems possible.

While I don't listen to him anymore, he still holds a special place in my heart, and I wish him well.

15 posted on 10/07/2001 4:50:46 PM PDT by BenR2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: germanshepherd
Where has Rush been all last week, anyway? No explanation has been given on his show.

He mentioned on his show on Monday that he may have to go out to the West Coast for something, and that he'd have subs during the week. He didn't say how long, but what business is it of ours anyway?

16 posted on 10/07/2001 5:04:16 PM PDT by SuziQ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Bin Hillary, sewer surfer. Anybody heard any drivel outa her today??
17 posted on 10/07/2001 5:11:06 PM PDT by Waco

Tony'll keep us advised though...

GOSH, I hope not! He's is soooo boring....I was totally disappointed this past week when I'd turn on the radio each day at 12:05 to listen to Rush, only to get Tony. What a bummer!

18 posted on 10/07/2001 5:22:26 PM PDT by nfldgirl

To: BenR2
I did not recognize his voice.

I don't hear him much anymore either, because I can't listen at work, but I barely recognized his voice at first, last time I heard him, either.

19 posted on 10/07/2001 5:23:34 PM PDT by Amelia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Did anyone catch the Mike Gallagher show on the radio last night. He was talking for a bit about a (radio) broadcaster with a large audience who was in fact, suffering from some kind of voice problem...he chose not to say who it was, nor exactly what the problem was. He remarked about this broadcaster being asked by others..."hey, what's wrong with your voice," or "there's something different about your voice." I immediately thought that he was talking about RUSH...now I'm convinced that he was, since I've heard many asking Rush about his voice recently.

20 posted on 10/07/2001 5:25:33 PM PDT by nfldgirl

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-78 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson