Posted on 01/29/2003 4:37:35 PM PST by Clive
London - The regime of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe is a threat to everyone in the country and Britain is doing everything possible to ostracise it, Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Wednesday.
"It cannot be emphasised too often that that regime is a threat most of all to Zimbabwean people and not simply to white Zimbabwean people but to black Zimbabweans as well," Blair told the House of Commons.
"It is a tragedy. We are doing whatever we can in every international forum in order to try to ostracise the Mugabe regime," the prime minister said.
Britain has led an international outcry against Mugabe's government in the wake of controversial land reforms and a presidential poll last March which observers said was rigged.
Blair did not respond directly to a challenge to act against the decision of France to invite Mugabe to a Franco-African summit in Paris next month.
"The humanitarian situation (in Zimbabwe) now is becoming dire. There are literally millions of people who are starving or at risk of starvation in a country which is rich with potential natural resources," Blair said.
France caused a furore last week by inviting the Zimbabwean president to the summit on February 20 and 21, two days after the current sanctions expire.
EU foreign ministers failed earlier this week to renew the sanctions, which include a travel ban, despite evidence that a food shortage is being used to starve opponents in Zimbabwe.
In Paris, the foreign ministry said on Tuesday France's invitation to Mugabe to Paris next month still stands, but Paris wants agreement with its European partners over the issue.
"We have a certain number of things we want to say to Mugabe and that's normal," French foreign ministry spokesperson Francois Rivasseau said, responding to strong protests from Britain and other countries.
Britain was joined by Sweden, the Netherlands and Denmark in strong opposition to a Mugabe visit to Paris. - Sapa-AFP
Well now!
One bright note Downunder is that the PM has come out very strongly against the Aussie cricketers' Zim tour. He's said he'll compensate the Australian Cricket Board for any financial losses incurred from the cancellation.
I am waiting to see if Blair backs up his words by boycotting the conference.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.