Skip to comments.Poll: Romney Clings To Lead Over Santorum in Arizona [Romney Kaput if MI and AZ Go Santorum]
Posted on 02/15/2012 8:23:45 PM PST by Steelfish
Poll: Romney Clings To Lead Over Santorum in Arizona By Jonathan Easley - 02/15/12 Mitt Romney leads the GOP presidential field in Arizona, but Rick Santorum is closing in fast, according to a poll released on Wednesday by the American Research Group.
Romney leads with 38 percent, followed by Santorum at 31 percent, Newt Gingrich at 15 percent and Ron Paul at 11 percent.
In the same poll conducted in late January, Romney and Gingrich were tied for the lead in Arizona at 32 percent, while Santorum was mired in fourth place at 10 percent.
On Feb. 28, voters in Arizona and Michigan will head to the polls for the GOP presidential primaries.
According to an ARG poll in Michigan released earlier this week, Santorum leads with 32 percent, followed by Romney at 27 percent.
Romney, whose father George Romney was once governor of Michigan, was widely viewed as having an insurmountable advantage in the Wolverine State because of his close ties there, but Santorum has vaulted into contention on the strength of his surprising three-state caucus sweep last week in Minnesota, Colorado and Missouri.
(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...
“And the election is kaput if Santorum is the nominee.”
I am afraid you’re right. Santorum has a voting record in the Senate that’s going to kill him if he makes it to the general. So he’s religious, BFD, we are not electing a Bishop. Supposedly Romney is religious also. Who cares, when it comes to running the country they both will suck!
How about Mentioning Romneys Father was A Saul Alinsky Worshipper? Just show the Pictures Of his Father With the Left wing Marxist that should Light the Fuse
All polls are showing Obama beating Gingrich by over 15 points and his un-favorablity ratings in the cellar. Don’t believe this?
Yes. When George Romney was running for president (during the Vietnam War Years) he made some sort of comment about “not being brain washed by Washington.” Normally, especially now this would not be a strange, nor bad comment, but during the Vietnam War the LSM, as is their wont, took this and made a huge stack of hay out of it. All that stuff about POWs and MIAs. Cost George the election/nomination, not sure which.
Of course I don’t believe it, the conservative in a race is never going to be able to beat the democrat nationally until he becomes head of his own party and his own massive Republican Presidential machine is devoted to countering the media and the image that his liberal opponents in the primary created for him.
I do know that you are for anyone to the left of Gingrich, Santorum, if you can get him, or Romney if you can’t, but you do not want Gingrich, and you aren’t fond of Palin. It is the right which you are against.
No, welcome to you newbie... I’ve been reading Freerepublic longer than you have. Just not a big poster.
And, I’m no Romneybot... Just a realist. I want to win. Some people here seem to be willing to lose the election out of spite. Do what is necessary to win, then worry about pulling the winner to the right. 10 Romneys would be better than four more years of Obama.
There are Republicans with the potential for nationwide appeal... Romney, Ryan, Christie, Rubio, etc. Santorum seems like a good enough guy, and I would have no problem voting for him, but he will not win. Period.
The liberal, anti-war candidate, Bishop and Mormon Cardinal (Stake president), member of LDS royalty, George Romney self destructed during the primary when he said that the American military had brainwashed him when he visited Vietnam in 1965, Romney stated: “When I came back from Viet Nam, I’d just had the greatest brainwashing that anybody can get.”.
In 1967 Governor Romney had requested that the US Army be brought into Detroit, the President sent in the 82nd Airborne, and the 101st Airborne, Detroit suffered more than a 1000 casualties and 43 dead.
No, you are merely a sleeper troll, who, with 8 posts in 8 years, now wants to bring the account to life to push Mitt Romney.
This site is dedicated to defeating Bishop Romney, not promoting him, the man is liberal scum, and a threat to everything that we care about.
In fact Mitt Romney is a Bishop, he was actually over Bishops, more of a Cardinal, it is a little amazing that it doesn't come up more, I'm sure it will if he wins the nomination.
I don’t think you understand what the word Troll means. I’ve said nothing inflammatory, just added a reasonable opinion. Disagree with my points all you want, but trying to label me only proves that you have no argument of your own to rely on. Actually, that is a classic liberal tactic.
You know what, I wonder if you’re really the “Troll”... a closeted Dem who pushes a candidate that everyone knows deep-down will get destroyed in a general election. Thank you for helping us lose the election!
And, I guess I didn’t realize that when Freerepublic was created in the 90’s that it was done to defeat a Republican candidate 15 years into the future. Thanks for clarifying that.
Anyone pushing Romney is a liberal troll, especially a non freeper who suddenly shows up to do it and has an 8 year old sign up date, in an unused account.
If you have something that you want to tell us about Mitt Romney then get with it.
Do you seriously think this? “” I wonder if youre really the Troll... a closeted Dem who pushes a candidate that everyone knows deep-down will get destroyed in a general election. Thank you for helping us lose the election! “”
You really think that supporting the most conservative candidate, Newt Gingrich, is being a closet dem?
After you answer that, then tell us what you think of someone who is absolutely 100% opposed to Mitt Romney.
Your logic falls short. It’s a question of electability. There isn’t one poll, much less an opinion piece by anyone with even a pretense to conservatism who thinks that Gingrich currently has even a snowball’s chance in hell to win the Republican nomination, much less beat Obama in November. In fact, those with dyed-in-the-wool conservative credentials, Limbaugh and Mark Levin, don’t even mention Gingrich anymore as a serious contender. He’s already been relegated to the also-rans. Maybe you may like to think anew who really is “against the right,” as you put it.
LOL, you preferring Mitt Romney to Newt Gingrich tells us all we need to know.
Again, label me all you want... I’m voted in every election in my area since 1996 and I have never voted for a Dem once.
1) I think any reasonable person would agree that Government Executive experience trumps Congressional experience. Besides Obama, who is the last non-governor non-VP to get elected?
2) To me, successful business experience is a MAJOR plus, especially in this economy.
3) He ran the most liberal state in the country, as a Republican (shows electability).
4) Basically unimpeachable family story, education, and religious devotion.
5) Olympics is proof that he can turn a government-style organization into a profitable one.
Now, you and I may argue about his qualities as a Conservative. I’ll admit, he is no Conservative. I wish he was. But, again, I’m not focused on marking off a sheet of requirements. I’m focused on winning.
Romney has the best chance to beat Obama nationwide. I would say that Gingrich has the 2nd best chance, but would need a dynamic VP pick to put him over the top. Santorum, in my book, is less likely to win a nationwide race than Ron Paul.
So, I would not disagree with you that Romney is not an optimal Conservative candidate. But, the truth is that you will never find one, out of this group, who is also likely to win.
And please, I read FR every single day. Done so for over 8 years. I am not big on posting. I just wanted to speak up because I think we need to be realistic about what it takes to win.
1. Gingrich was Speaker of the House, a history making figure and national leader.
Mitt Romney was a failure as a Governor, he was the 4th Republican Governor in a row, in a state that prefers Republican Governors, Romney devastated the state’s GOP, they lost seats in both elections while he was Governor, Romney wanted to, but could not run for reelection, he left office with 34% approval and the Democrats have owned the seat ever since. You are totally ignorant of the man’ electability, by the way, he didn’t reach 50% in that single election victory of his life.
2. Romney’s most unpleasant and harshest form of “business success” will haunt him in the election.
3. Romney was the 4th Republican Governor in a row, in a state that prefers Republican Governors, that doesn’t show electability, and since when did any Republican consider being Governor of Massachusetts, being electable to lead the conservative party? Did Romney’s mentor and political hero, President of the United States, William Weld, tell you that?
4. Bishop Romney’s cult leadership, his family history of having immigrated to the United States 171 years ago, solely to personally serve the Cult leader, and the perfect, unbroken record of all Romney males avoiding serving the United States in uniform during that entire 171 years, and the fact that they are cult royalty and have transferred many tens of millions of dollars into attacking Christianity, makes his family history a nightmare of satanic horrors and polygamy, a betrayal of America as they literally fled our laws to Mexico, to serve their perversions.
5. The (Winter) portion of the Olympics? The one in Utah, that was being ravaged by corrupt Mormon politicians? The media will quickly uncover how the thing that propelled the Mormon Bishop, the fulfillment of the cult’s “White Horse Prophecy” into his single success for political campaigning, was a Mormon Bishop and future Presidential candidate, fixing a Mormon problem, in a state owned by the Mormon cult, and his success in that less than history making turn around was largely assisted by the leadership of the cult itself controlling the compliance of the corrupt Mormons who faced never becoming polygamous Gods, if they did not help Cardinal (Stake President) Romney clean up their mess.
If you read FR everyday then you know that FR is devoted to defeating Romney, and that Newt Gingrich is the freerepublic candidate. You don’t read FR everyday.
1. No doubt Gingrich has a good record. Romney, however, ran surpluses his last two years in office. He came in to a huge shortfall. He moved the state legislature to reduce spending by over $1 billion. How other people ran their own campaigns is not his fault. Otherwise, you could say that Mitt’s approval ratings drop went in line with Bush’s. So does that mean its Bush’s fault? Approval ratings don’t necessarily correlate with a good or bad job. And since it was in Massachusetts, shouldn’t that be a good thing by your reasoning?
2. I don’t agree that Capitalism is harsh and unpleasant. What Romney did epitomizes free markets. He helped build struggling companies, and the ones that died deserved to die. Why? Because that is what the market decided.
3. Sorry, but getting elected Governor in a hostile environment is proof of electability. Being reelected for 20 years in a gerrymandered Congressional district is not.
4. By the very definition of the word cult, Mormonism is not a cult. Knock it all you want, and it is not my religion either, but if Gingrich is the nominee, you’ll be praying that the Mormons in Nevada go your way in November. Religious bigotry may be your thing, but don’t let it cloud your judgment.
5. Yes, the winter olympics. A billion dollar enterprise, with a 300 million shortfall, that he turned into a profit of just under 100 million. Responsibility for something like 20,000 paid and unpaid employees. All of these things are more than the number of budget dollars and/or employees that the other candidates have been responsible for, combined and times 10.
I know that FR is not a pro-Romney place. That is obvious. But let me repeat myself one more time... you are just spiting your own party.
I don't know what party JR belongs to if any, but I am amazed that we have to start back at 2007 again when it comes to Romney.
What's sad is....Romney has fought harder against his opponents in the Pubbie election...than he's ever done against Obama.
If you really think....the above press won't attack Romney..and attack him hard, you are very mistaken.
Personally I think Newt could withstand the blitz...and fight back harder than Santorum and Romney.
But the fact remains...the GOP keeps giving us horrible candidates.
2. Mitt's approval ratings tanked when it became obvious that he did not have a principle to his name and was only interested in personal power. Probably the single worst elected GOP official of the last 12 years.
3. All Mittens does is obsess over money. For most of us on FR, never mind in the general electorate, that shows a verrrry limited imagination and no leadership.
4. Romney cannot be trusted on babies, marriage, guns, military, foreign policy or anything else that is not money, money, money and, frankly on money issues, he can be trusted only to protect Muffy, Skipper and trust fund babies like, well, Mittens himself. He does absolutely NOTHING for most of us. I don't pay 45% on marginal income and neither do most of us here. I also don't give a sh*t if Mittens has to start paying 39.5% on his income from speeches after he is defeated if by Obozo or 35% if the status remains quo under a new GOP POTUS or is even lowered (except for the further damage that will do to the GOP brand). One thing is for sure: his precious tax rate on marginal income is NOT the be all and end all of human existence or of this year's election.
5. I have absolutely no problem with Romney's Mormon religion. I regard their doctrines as strange but then, as a Catholic, I know many regard Catholic dogmas as strange as well. Most Mormons are fine people. Romney is not and the pro-abortion position which has been traditional among Romneys is anything but Mormonism. Mittens problem with religion may well be that he is not Mormon enough. I don't think that Mormons are fans of sexual perversion posing as marriage either even if it never seems to bother Romney. Many Mormons are also a lot more familiar with firearms and the RTKBA than anyone named Romney.
6. The Winter Olympics???? The Winter Olympics???? Too bad Steve Jobs is dead. His positions on issues were generally no better than Romney but he was a hell of a lot more of a businessman. Warren Buffet? Bill Gates? Both of them to the left of Obozo but, hey, they are each terrific at business. What the hell does that have to do with being a desirable candidate for POTUS???
Good post, but a little clarification.
Cardinal Romney, son of a Cardinal (Stake President to Mormons), and probably a long line of Bishops and Cardinals since the Romneys are Mormon Royalty, is among the most devout, devoted, and respected Mormons alive. Many Mormons think that he may even be fulfillment of Holy Prophecy, Romney is expected to reach the council of the 12 Apostles in time.
Bishop Romney is a Temple Mormon, part of the most elite secretive, and devoted (roughly) 15% of Mormons, Romney is a teacher of Mormonism, and is in the highest standing of his religion, a religion that the Catholic church tells us, is not a Christian religion.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.