Skip to comments.
Liberals' Use of Words Effective Tool in Promoting Radical Ideologies
Agape Press ^
| James Lambert
Posted on 12/10/2005 9:48:36 AM PST by sionnsar
(AgapePress) - Let's face it, liberals over the years have been effective in requiring the public and the media to use terminology they have reinvented to engage in philosophical debate. While the spectrum might be broad, it is clear that liberals' use of philosophically friendly words has gone a long way in winning over people who may never have entertained liberal ideology in the first place.
Political correctness has played a huge part in contributing to the general atmosphere in the media where clever word usage is an important tool in changing public thought and or policy. Here are some interesting examples of the ways liberals have redefined words to persuade:
- 'Choice' - Who isn't against choice? Everyone is for choice! Yet this word has been used by liberals for several decades to eliminate any negative connotation when discussing the abortion issue. "Pro-choice" is certainly a better term than "pro-abortion." Abortions are an ugly business. In most cases the fetus is extracted from the uterus, often dismembered. Yet whose choice is it? It may be the choice of the mother, but how about the baby who does not have a choice? The reality of abortion is something liberals don't want to debate.
- 'Gay' - For centuries, gay was defined as "merry, happily excited or lively." Homosexual activists have reinvented this word to define their lifestyle. It's odd, isn't it, that the term "gay" would be used to describe a lifestyle than (on average) lowers the life expectancy of homosexual males by over 20 years? That's according to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta -- not a statistic just dreamed up by opponents of homosexuality.
- 'Fundamentalists' - The meaning of this term has changed over time into one with a very negative connotation. Liberals, especially since 9-11, have used it to compare conservative Christians to Wahabe Islamists and the Taliban. While this comparison is absurd, liberals in the media have used it to wage war against religious Christians. They do this in part by demonizing Christians and by calling them "fundamentalists." They imply that all conservative Christians want a theocracy, condemn others to hell, wish to punish sinners, and militantly want to force their religious beliefs on others.
- 'Intolerant' - Webster's definition of this word is "unable to endure, unwilling to endure, or unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters or other social, political or professional rights." Liberals have effectively eliminated the "religious matters" part. They see religion, especially the Christian religion, as intolerant. The use of this word by liberals reveals their goal of avoiding all forms of judgment. If conservatives critically question liberal ideas, they are immediately labeled as "intolerant." Yet liberals cannot see that their intolerance of religious people defines that term.
- 'Homophobic' - This term cannot even be found in my Webster's dictionary. Yet we have seen this term applied to anyone who disagrees with the homosexual lifestyle. This is yet another way for radical homosexuals and lesbians to intimidate and harass any who dare oppose them in the political and social arena.
- 'Diversity' - This word reeks of political correctness. While diversity is a good word that describes "a condition of differences," the word is also used by liberals to put forth the notion that any kind of differentiation is bad. In the liberal world, making personal judgment calls is wrong -- and diversity tells us that every lifestyle should be accepted and promoted.
All pundits of various social, political and cultural persuasions prefer to use key words in making their point. (Personally I like to refer to owners in the adult industry as "smut peddlers.") Even so, I have found most liberal pundits have been effective in using their favorite words to direct public opinion their way. Perhaps they would not be as effective without their friends in mainstream media.
But like other long-time newspaper readers, I've grown tired of news stories becoming an "analysis" for liberal causes. Maybe this is why we have seen newspaper readership drop steadily over the years, and alternative media becoming more popular. Just food for thought!
TOPICS: Mainline Protestant
KEYWORDS: language; radicalleft
posted on 12/10/2005 9:48:36 AM PST
posted on 12/10/2005 9:50:14 AM PST
Well, Campion's Law is named after you, isn't it?
This may interest you.
posted on 12/10/2005 9:50:56 AM PST
posted on 12/10/2005 9:51:52 AM PST
In the end Liberals worship at the altar of Equality. Equality at all costs. "If one has more than another, we will take it from him to produce a world or true equality. Let us all be miserable together!"
posted on 12/10/2005 9:52:43 AM PST
(Polls = Proof that when the MSM want your opinion it will give it to you.)
They redefine words to put a positive spin on their agenda.
Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
posted on 12/10/2005 9:56:39 AM PST
(Intelligent people believe in Intelligent Design (God))
I heard the Democrats were complaining that they haven't been effective at getting their message out.
posted on 12/10/2005 11:10:47 AM PST
(NO MORE PEACE FOR OIL!!! DOWN WITH TYRANTS, TERRORISTS, AND TIMIDCRATS!!!! (3-T's For World Peace))
Contribution: A confiscation of your money for the government.
Righteous: Self-important, right-wing hypocrite.
Equal: Receiving more than others due to some past occurance.
Civil liberty: Stopping others' expression on public property if it annoys you.
Union: A power brokerage which takes workers' money without representing their best interests.
Feminist: A woman who's more like a man.
Man, Male, Father, Boy, Son, Masculine: No meaning; worthless.
posted on 12/10/2005 6:15:01 PM PST
(Losing, like flooding, brings rats to the surface.)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson