Posted on 05/09/2003 1:00:17 PM PDT by Destro
Germany Convicts Turk, but Not of Bomb Plot
Man Was Accused of Targeting U.S. Base
Washington Post Foreign Service Wednesday, May 7, 2003; Page A28
BERLIN, May 6 -- A Turkish man who was accused of planning a bomb attack on a U.S. military base in Germany on the first anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackings was convicted of illegal possession of explosives and other lesser charges today. Prosecutors withdrew all terrorism counts, saying there was not "sufficient specificity" to prove he planned a strike on the base.
Petmezci's American girlfriend, Astrid Eyzaguirre, 23, who worked at a store on the U.S. Army base in Heidelberg, was acquitted of the explosives charge but convicted of a drug offense.
Petmezci told the court that he planned to make fireworks and said in his final statement today, "I didn't deserve this." Petmezci's attorney, Andrea Combe, complained that her client had been unjustly "stamped as a top terrorist" and forced to spend part of his time awaiting trial in a high-security prison.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
Das ist nich richtig!!!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.