Skip to comments.THE POLITICS OF CORONAVIRUS
Posted on 03/13/2020 6:07:48 PM PDT by Hojczyk
1) The Democrats effort to blame coronavirus on Trump is doomed to fail. Most people simply arent that dumb. The virus came from China
2) On the contrary, the pandemic shows that Trump was right all along about China. While low wages are superficially attractive, there are many disadvantages to doing business there. In the medium and long terms, coronavirus will boost the American economy.
3) So far, voters are entirely indifferent to the Democrats attempts to gain political advantage from coronavirus. The Rasmussen Survey hasnt budged, one way or the other. Today Trump stands at 49%/50% in the rolling approval poll.
4) One of the Democrats problems with coronavirus is that it isnt a very threatening disease. The press would have you believe that it is the 21st Century version of the Black Death, but it is actually more like a bad cold
5) The stock market has taken a hit, but it is certain to rebound, and soon. There is no realistic scenario on which the virus, which is fatal overwhelmingly to elderly and unhealthy people, adversely impacts our economy to a significant extent. It is the panic which now affects our economy, not the disease. By November that will be obvious.
6) Early on, President Trump did the right thing: he tried to damp down the panic, while at the same time taking the measures that would have practical effect, in particular, banning China travel.
7) Long before November, it will be obvious to everyone that fear of coronavirus was vastly overblown. That is my opinion, anyway.
(Excerpt) Read more at powerlineblog.com ...
8) Then again, maybe I am wrong. Maybe by November coronavirus hasnt dissipated and people are worried about it. What then? In a crisis of any kindwar, depression, epidemicmost people want a strong executive. This is an instinctive preference. If we are under a serious threat, we want a strong, effective person to lead us. That impulse has been consistent for thousands of years.
So, if coronavirus is seen as a serious problem in November, who will voters see as the strong executive? President Trump? Or the doddering Joe Biden, who has to be led down the sidewalk by his handlers, who is so far gone that his campaign team limits campaign appearances to a few minutes, and who generally comes across as an old man who used to be of marginal intelligence, and is now senile?
I think the Democrats attempt to make political hay out of coronavirus willbest casego nowhere, and likely will rebound against them in November.
Oh no, we’re all going to die.
Was at Costco this afternoon. Shelves were as empty as I have ever seen them. People buying 4 and 5 of the same thing. Just wait until someone looking for an item that isnt on the shelf and the person sees somebody with 4 of what they want
Somebody is going to get hurt.
“Oh no, were all going to die.”
According to the hospital staff a lotta people in Washington will, yes. Completely predictable.
Seattle is full of liberal idiots. I take nothing they say as fact.
“I take nothing they say as fact.”
If you had any idea the situation in Italy, you’d know it’s not words that will be the problem - and that will be filling the news.
Italy has a third-world socialist healthcare system. Trying to compare results there is insulting America.
What are the demographics of the deaths in Italy? Pre-existing conditions, etc.
“What are the demographics of the deaths in Italy? Pre-existing conditions, etc.”
It’s not demographics, but just simple numbers. Too many people needing care at once exhausts and depletes the health system. Then more come in. You run out of just about everything, including medical staff.
The American left wants the Italy situation on steroids. Every liberal enclave in America is pushing it. Some of us look at what the left says in their forums and it is not pretty. It is all attack Trump always but they think they got something with Corona.
Among the 105 patients who had died in Italy as of March 4, two thirds had three or more pre-existing conditions and the average age was 81.
You’re talking political urination contests. Reality doesn’t care one way or the other on that - it just is, both for good and for bad.
but there are only 17,660 cases or there around sick in italy. how could that be taking any system? This is the virus where no one is sick and there are two of them. one that is deadly and the other that is what Tom Hanks has mild cold symptoms. maybe there are more than one actual virus.
Even if those weren’t old (if even real) figures, it doesn’t matter. A non-stop surge of patients is the problem, they could be 12 or the could be 120, they’re at the hospital and need beds & care (otherwise they’d be at home). Basic math, the sudden non-stop influx of patients jams everything.
“This is the virus where no one is sick and there are two of them.”
I’m sorry but you’re very uniformed. Google these words:
italy hospitals overwhelmed
and you’ll get a boatload of information about what’s going on and how it happened.
While Democrats were Impeaching Trump in January he was working on China Travel Ban that saved America from disaster. Then Schumer & lowlife Media started with Trumps a Racist ... Democrats have No one that can deal with Trump., Pelosi is shot, Schumer a disgraced clown , 4 more years a done deal...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.