Posted on 03/30/2015 2:44:12 AM PDT by csvset
A selfie-obsessed tourist apologized Sunday for posting an online pic of herself grinning at the site of the deadly East Village inferno.
After The Post exposed her with a front-page story headlined Village Idiots, Christina Freundlich said she was deeply sorry for my careless and distasteful post.
It was inconsiderate to those hurt in the crash and to the city of New York, she said in an e-mail to The Des Moines Register.
What happened last week in the East Village is not to be taken lightly and I regret my course of action.
Freundlich, who worked on both of President Obamas White House campaigns and served as communications director for the Iowa Democratic Party, was among several people who used the disaster as a photo backdrop.
The displays stirred outrage online, with commenters calling them disgusting beyond words.
Near the site, a neighbor taped a sign to a door.
THIS IS A TRAGEDY, NOT A TOURIST ATTRACTION, it read.
Visitor Jeanie Slade, who posted a pic of herself and a pal at the site with the hashtag #beingtourists, said Saturday that it was satire" to point out how many people post selfies in inappropriate times.
Slade deleted her Twitter and Instagram accounts but stuck by her claim Sunday.
Im so sorry for any miscommunication and my satire was in poor taste, she said. Filed under East Village , East Village Building
(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...
Oh, yeah, here they are...
These folks posting selfies as flames consumed a building behind them were tacky, of course. But don’t you love the media? They never fail to pounce on any disaster, surrounding the scene with video cameras and remote broadcast vehicles and positioning leggy six-figure infobabes on strategically selected street corners near the scene so she can read her rehearsed lines while flames billow behind her- and then go into high dudgeon when some member of the public has the temerity to stand a few yards away snapping a selfie.
She should sue the NY Post for stealing her pic, publishing it, and not paying.
“Photo: Instagram”
Instagram is NOT a damn photo credit.
At least the cover photo for the newspaper was taken on scene by a hired or freelance photographer (it is a photo of people taking a selfie).
The stock question from the media when someone’s house has burned down or the tornado has blown it away, “You’ve lost your home and all of your possession, all of your memories, how do you feel? (please look into the video camera)”
Yeah. One of my favorite media takedown moments occurred years ago in conjunction with one of our space program disasters. Astronauts had perished, and news crews crowded around their homes like vultures. A family member opened the front door to admit a friend or relative coming to offer condolences. Seizing th a opportunity for some words from the family, a reporter rushed the open door, Mike in outstretched hand. Then a big fisted hand flashed out of the door and knocked him on hiss ass.
It was a pretty important story here. I had taken my car in just as the blast occurred and the traffic was being diverted all over the city. So I’m glad they covered it in depth. Terrible story. I know the area well.
The Photo: Instagram is noting that she used that site to ace the picture in the public domain.
Yea, verily yea.
The Vagina Vote - locked up Left.
2012.
Two time losers.
Hey, there’s guys in that picture, too.
betas...
Wrong. AFP and then Getty stole tsunami photos this way and syndicated them across the country and coughed up millions.
They are thousands of industry photographers who use Instagram and twitter and they most certainly are not offering “public domain” commercial usage of their shots.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.