Skip to comments.Toddler dies of possible morphine overdose
Posted on 12/28/2009 11:30:16 AM PST by Responsibility2nd
A toddler who authorities said was possibly given too much morphine during a dental procedure died Sunday night.
According to the Bexar County medical examiner's office, Maddoux Cordova was pronounced dead at 7 p.m. at Wilford Hall Medical Center, where he had been treated for about two weeks after complications arose from the Dec. 11 dental procedure.
Mark Stinnett, attorney for Maddoux's dentist, said the procedure took place at an outpatient surgical facility. An anesthesiologist administered his medication, Stinnett said.
The 22-month-old was being treated for a decaying tooth, family members said. According to a spokeswoman for the San Antonio Police Department, his grandmother called 911 around 2:15 p.m. on Dec. 11, just hours after his procedure, to report he wasn't breathing.
He was then hospitalized until Sunday, when family members decided to remove him from life support, relatives said.
My babies never had a bottle. They went straight from the breast to sippy cup at six months. No juice, either. My pediatrician said to never give them juice in a bottle and I never did. She was really down on juice, said it was just sugar water, even real fruit juice. I always thought it was healthy, but she convinced me it was evil in a cup. If I didn’t make it, they didn’t drink it. Needless to say they never had tooth problems as babies or children, and they don’t have any cavities now.
No uninsured kid is going to get his baby teeth worked on by a dentist under sedation with an anesthesiologist. Not gonna happen.
I agree. Even laughing gas would have been a good sedative, followed by novacaine or lidocaine... but #morphine# i hope it wasn’t done by a resident atleast
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.