Skip to comments.Jesus-Gay Billboards Defaced
Posted on 04/25/2007 12:04:49 PM PDT by Abathar
INDIANAPOLIS -- At least two billboard signs that seek to get people to re-examine homosexuality by using biblical references have been vandalized in Indianapolis.
The campaign, coordinated by the Jesus Metropolitan Community Church, of Indianapolis, carries a message some consider shocking, 6News' Derrik Thomas reported.
In order to deface the billboards, vandals had to be daring, using extension ladders. There have been no arrests, but the debate rages.
The billboard proclaims that Jesus affirmed a gay couple. "Lie, lie, lie," is scrawled in red paint above the original message on a sign on 10th Street.
Twenty-two billboards were placed strategically around the city. The Rev. Jeff Miner, of the church that paid for the billboards, was disappointed by the vandalism.
"There was a sense of disappointment, a sense of shock. That's OK," Miner said. "We're going to share a positive, powerful message how the Bible affirms gay people and we know there is going to be some opposition as we try to get that message out here."
In addition to the billboards, church volunteers have placed about 2,000 yard signs around the city. Many of them were pulled out of the ground almost as fast as they were put in.
Curt Smith, of the Indiana Family Institute, criticized the vandalism, but said the Bible does not confirm the billboards' message.
"I think homosexuals are noted in the Bible in a couple of key passages that were an example of sexual sin that is decried by God," Smith said.
The billboard campaign is scheduled to run for 30 days. One of the damaged billboards was fixed by Tuesday afternoon. The second one might be repaired by the end of the week.
*snicker* Gee, didn't see that one coming...
Of course they will call this a hate crime. Forget the billboards telling homosexuals that it is a sin, that were destroyed a few years ago.
7Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him."
8The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."
10When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
13Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! It will be done just as you believed it would." And his servant was healed at that very hour.
The church who put up the billboard should be sued for false advertising.
Mat 8:5-13 MKJV
(5) And when Jesus had entered into Capernaum, a centurion came to him, beseeching Him,
(6) and saying, Lord, my son lies at home paralyzed and grievously tormented.
(7) And Jesus says to him, I will come and heal him.
(8) The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my boy will be healed.
(9) For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, Go! And he goes; and to another, Come! And he comes; and to my servant, Do this! And he does it.
(10) When Jesus heard, He marvelled and said to those who followed, Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel.
(11) And I say to you that many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of Heaven.
(12) But the sons of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(13) And Jesus said to the centurion, Go. And as you have believed, so let it be to you. And his boy was healed in that hour.
If the government is not going to enforce statutes against slander and false advertising despite receiving complaints, then people will seek redress.
It really is beyond me how one can - with a straight face - maintain that the centurion's slave was a sexual partner.
- 4 When he entered Capernaum, 5 a centurion approached him and appealed to him,
- saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully."
- He said to him, "I will come and cure him."
- The centurion said in reply, 6 "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.
- For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."
- When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel 7 have I found such faith.
- I say to you, 8 many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven,
- but the children of the kingdom will be driven out into the outer darkness, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth."
- And Jesus said to the centurion, "You may go; as you have believed, let it be done for you." And at that very hour (his) servant was healed.
Please freepmail me if you want on/off this list
I can’t even begin to understand how they can convince themselves that that passage can be interpreted to mean that. I’m at a total loss.
I agree, I might not be deepest of wells, but how the heck they came up with this is beyond me.
Apparently the Rev. Jeff Miner cannot read.
What gay couple? I don’t get it!
[In order to deface the billboards, vandals had to be daring, using extension ladders.]
Wow, the people who did this must be REALLY dedicated to take the EXTREME measure of putting up an extension ladder and climbing up it. I assume they were high on cocaine considering how daring they were.
No one is saying who put this libel up in the first place....Clear Channel? Whoever it is we should bombard them with calls and emails all week until it is taken down.
To “Rev.” Jeff Miner and the libs a “servant” or “boy” can only be read as some gay perversion.
Satanist always interprets the bible for their own sick and selfish justifications to justify its evil!
An obvious example that homosexuality is a mental disease.
Two versions of the interaction with the centurion have been posted. One refers to the ill one as his servant and the other refers to the ill one as his son. The billboard does not claim that Jesus was gay, so it must mean that the centurion and the ill person were a gay couple. So the billboard is saying that the centurion was having homosexual relations with his son (i.e. he is a child molester) or with his slave (probably non-consensual). Neither makes gay couples look real good. They probably need to rethink their PR on this one.
That describes Mohammed, the warlord, to a T.
So, the Centurion and his servant were gay, huh? How do you think the gay-bo’s feel about the rest of the passage, about “under orders”, “do as I tell them” . . . that subjugation thingie. Of course, homosexuals might like that.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.