Skip to comments.Amnesty Bill to be Introduced in the U.S. House Today for Illegal Aliens
Posted on 03/22/2007 5:43:35 AM PDT by Dr. Marten
From the desk of Roy Beck at NumbersUSA:
From the desk of Roy Beck at NumbersUSA:
This year's official push for nearly open borders in the United States is expected to begin later this morning.
Honestly, your collective reaction to the introduction of the Gutierrez/Flake amnesty bill in the U.S. House of Representatives will have great influence on whether national political leaders try to force this through.
We need to do this primarily with phones today.
We need the phones in all 435 offices of U.S. Representatives to be ringing all day in vehement opposition to what is being proposed by Rep. Gutierrez (D-IL) and Rep. Flake (R-AZ).
U.S. House switchboard:
Contact your Representative Directly
Always be polite to the staffers taking the call. They will be much more likely to convey your position accurately if you treat them with respect.
Don't take too much time. Make a couple of notes about what you are going to say before you call and keep your comments simple and quick.
Here are some key points from which to choose:
1. I'm calling about the big amnesty bill that the media say will be introduced today by Congressmen Flake and Gutierrez (goo - tea - air - ez).
2. I urge Rep. xmxmxmx to keep his/her name off the co-sponsorship list. You don't want to get labeled as an amnesty supporter in our District.
3. It sounds like Flake and Gutierrez are trying to trick people into supporting it with some silly things about illegal aliens stepping across the border before coming back and being rewarded with a path to U.S. citizenship.
4. Nothing that provides a path to citizenship for illegal aliens should be supported.
5. (Provide your own reasons for opposing this bill based on your reading of Rosemary's analysis below.)
WHAT'S IN THE NEW AMNESTY BILL
- Every illegal alien who could produce marginally plausible “evidence” that he/she had been illegally present in the United States since June 1, 2006, would get amnesty and be put on the path to US citizenship.
- In exchange for the highest honor our country has to bestow, the illegal alien would have to pay $2,000, pass a criminal record check, pay at least some of any income taxes he/she had chosen not to pay while working illegally, and learn some English. The already overburdened and error-prone U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) would be responsible for ensuring that applicants meet these criteria and for handing out temporary
visas and work permits to 2-plus million illegal aliens.
- After the no-longer-illegal aliens had been in temporary status for six years, USCIS would issue green cards to those who had learned passable English and, in the case of some heads of household, had traveled outside the United States (to any other country, not necessarily their own) for a short time. Single heads of household, children, the elderly, business owners, and those in the military would be exempt from the travel requirement. (Any
criminals and terrorists whose fingerprints were not yet on file with the FBI would then have official documents in whateve name they chose to provide USCIS during the first phase of the amnesty.)
- Lest any illegals be left out of the general amnesty, the bill includes two others for which they could qualify: the AgJOBS amnesty for those claiming to have performed agricultural work in the United States (the fraud rate for a similar amnesty in 1986 is estimated at 70% and resulted in at least one of the 1993 World Trade Center bombers getting a green card, which he used to fly to Afghanistan for terrorist training) and the DREAM Act amnesty for
those who received a US taxpayer-funded high school diploma or an equivalent.
- To ensure a constant flow of cheap labor into the United States, the bill would create a worker importation program for an additional 400,000 foreign “guest” workers each year, all of whom would be given the choice to stay permanently, as long as they weren’t caught committing a crime or terrorist act before they applied. DHS would have to certify that it is capable of verifying workers’ legal status before this new program could take effect.
- As a bone to lawmakers who believe that the laws they pass should actually be enforced, the bill would mandate that all employers eventually verify the legal status of their workforce and it would increase penalties for those who fail to do so. It would also authorize an increase in the number of border enforcement personnel and in enforcement technology.
- Finally, as icing on this rich enforcement cake, the bill would create a “North American security perimeter” that would establish Mexico as our first—and only—line of defense against any security threat from the south.
NOTE: Do NOT assume that because your U.S. Representative acted against amnesty last year that they will do it again this year.
We have confidential information about several Members who have voted with us in the past but who are calculating ways to push through almost any kind of compromise between regulation and open border.
Please today, make sure your Congressman and staff are fully aware of where constituents stand on these newest ideas about an amnesty.
How about some FAXes as well? The switch boards will be jammed.
We need to stop this bill.
The modern-day version of the 'Tea Tax'?
A horrible mistake. Only the enemies of this country, the corrupt, and/or the mentally ill can support this.
Politicians ARE the enemy of this country. Their whole immigration deal is about getting votes, citizens be damned!
You know you're talking about a considerable number of open border bots on this website, don't you?
You got that right. And they get paid with your tax dollars for office space,pensions,health care, perks, etc. The fifth columne runs this country now.
Amnesty should be voted on by the people, in a national referendum.
I am at loss for words ...
You realize that Karl Rove thinks that all these soon-to-be-former illegals will be Republicans, don't you?
What is the bill number?
I think it will pass. W has committed to Shamenesty and I see no reason for him to back down.
No, ROVE wants the contribution money of businesses which hire the illegals. They also hope the Hispanics will vote GOP eventually because of their strong belief against abortion etc... like the Cubans, who basically vote GOP. The Dims of course want the illegals to vote before they become citizens. You realize, of course, that you will soon pay for "Millions of 'Americans' live below the poverty level" etc. etc.
"Be cautious of using NumbersUSA as a source."
Actually you should be careful using the commie Southern Poverty Law Center as a source to criticize Numbers USA.
Controling the borders is NOT racism.
This is insanity. Citizenship is not a right, but a privilege to be earned by those who demonstrate their agreement to abide by our laws and respect our shared principles of liberty and personal responsibility. It ought not be for sale, especially to those who have already disrespected our laws and who mock our principles.
Many Cubans are anticommunist refugees, some of them from the middle and upper class.
Most of the poor people coming from other Latin American countries have populist leanings which will translate into Democratic hold on power for decades to come. They might be socially conservative but will be liberal on other issues. Have we found silver lining here? :)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.