Posted on 09/06/2005 6:30:20 AM PDT by Valin
NAJAF, Iraq - The U.S. Army handed over its base in Najaf on Tuesday, giving Iraqis full control of the city as a first step in transferring security across the country so multinational forces can begin to go home someday. Lt. Col. James Oliver, the U.S. commander of Forward Operating Base Hotel, handed the ceremonial keys to the installation to the new Iraqi commander, Col. Saadi Salih al-Maliky. About 1,500 Iraqi soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 8th Division marched by. Before the ceremony, the Iraqi soldiers, all Shiites, chanted "long live Sistani," referring to top cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, and "Saddam is a coward."
U.S. forces have relocated to another base farther outside the city so they would be available to assist in a major security crisis. Najaf, 100 miles south of Baghdad, is the holiest city in Iraq for Shiite Muslims and was the scene of heavy fighting last year between the U.S. Army and the militia of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. The fighting ended following a truce mediated by the city's Shiite clerical hierarchy, which wields considerable power behind the scenes in the current Shiite-dominated national government.
The U.S.-led coalition plans to hand over control of other cities to the Iraqis, gradually reducing its security profile. If all goes according to plan, this would enable the United States and its international partners to begin drawing down their troops next year and focusing on the insurgency-ridden Sunni Arab areas to the north. "This is indeed a very important day for the province of Najaf," said Brig. Gen. Augustus L. Collins, commander of the 155th Brigade Combat Team. "It gives me great pleasure to say the Iraqi army in Najaf can control the area. Although we are transferring authority at this FOB (forward operating base), we will still be here to help the people of Najaf."
Oliver said the transfer was a "visible sign that the people of Najaf have rejected violence and have trust in their elected government." "This is only the beginning for Najaf," he said. "The Iraqi army is operating successfully throughout the region. They are fully independent and capable of responding to all security needs. We are now here in a strictly advisory mode."
Gov. Asaad Sultan Attai thanked the American people "and its army" for ousting Saddam Hussein and for "their assistance since then."
Good news that the media will never mention.
Well... the AP is part of the media, aren't they? But I can guarantee you that Matt Lauer or Katie Couric won't say a peep. They are too busy trying to find people that will blame President Bush for Katrina.
Better start sniffing a big, fat onion half again, Cindy Sheehan. /sarc
Well one has too have ones priorities straight! After all what's more important, reporting the news, or getting George Bush?
Anybody else bothered by the chants of "Long live Sistani" when the Iraqi army took over the base. Why not "Long live Iraq?"
If anything, it points out that Iraqis don't look at their country first but rather to particular leaders.
In this country, we believe that the country is greater than the sum of its leadership, but in Iraq their sense of political tribalism will make crating a democracy there a daunting long-term process.
Holy Molly, an AP article that doesnt list the total number of US casualties!
Bet ole Slobodan (AP author) will get put on the carpet for that faux pas.
Ever read any history of the early years our nation?
Sure have. Prior to civil war, people felt a stronger attachment to their states than to the federal gov't. But it was still an attachment to a 'land' rather than a 'person' (G. Washington notwithstanding).
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.