Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Life sentences sought for Italy massacre
Bakersfield Californian ^ | 6/9/05 | AP

Posted on 06/09/2005 5:56:35 PM PDT by NormsRevenge

ROME (AP) - An Italian prosecutor asked a military judge Thursday to sentence 10 former members of the Nazi SS to life in prison for their alleged role in a 1944 massacre in northern Italy, a defense lawyer said.

Prosecutor Marco De Paolis made the request during closing arguments at the trial in La Spezia, a city on the country's west coast, said Luigi Trucco, a lawyer for one of the defendants.

The defendants are being tried in absentia and are believed to be in Germany, he said.

The next hearings were scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday when a prosecutor for an attached civil lawsuit and the defense lawyers will make their closing remarks, Trucco said. A verdict is expected to be handed down the following week, he said.

In August 1944, about 300 SS troops surrounded the Tuscan village of Sant'Anna di Stazzema, which had been flooded with refugees, ostensibly to hunt for partisans. Instead they rounded up and shot villagers, according to survivors.

Others were herded into basements and other enclosed spaces and killed with hand grenades. Historical documents are not clear on the precise number killed, but the most commonly cited number is 560 people.

The slaughter was one of the worst in a series of atrocities by Nazi troops in central and northern of Italy during World War II. Italian authorities began investigating the massacre a few years ago when officials found reports on the killings drawn up by Allied forces at the end of the war.

Among those on trial is Gerhard Sommer, the officer suspected of giving the orders for the shooting. In 2002, Sommer told German public television ARD that he was a company commander in the division, but that he had "an absolutely pure conscience."


TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Foreign Affairs; Germany; Government; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: german; italy; lifesentences; massacre; nazi; naziss; sought; tuscany; wwii

1 posted on 06/09/2005 5:56:35 PM PDT by NormsRevenge
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: NormsRevenge

"Among those on trial is Gerhard Sommer, the officer suspected of giving the orders for the shooting. In 2002, Sommer told German public television ARD that he was a company commander in the division, but that he had "an absolutely pure conscience."


No surprise. This old man has no remorse for his savagery, no fear of judgement.


2 posted on 06/09/2005 6:10:13 PM PDT by catonsville (If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans for the future.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: catonsville

Worthless F&8king Nazi! Typical arrogant German.


3 posted on 06/09/2005 6:29:35 PM PDT by elcid1970
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: NormsRevenge

What the hell give them all life. That cant be much more than 5 years at their age. probably a lot less.


4 posted on 06/09/2005 6:47:47 PM PDT by sgtbono2002
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson