Posted on 11/28/2025 8:58:30 PM PST by Morgana
The suspect in the "targeted" shooting of two National Guardsmen in Washington, D.C., will now face charges upgraded to first-degree murder after President Donald Trump announced the death of one of the victims late Thursday, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said Friday.
"There are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree," Pirro said Friday morning on Fox News' "Fox & Friends."
The suspected gunman, 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, was previously charged with three counts of assault with the intent to kill while armed and criminal possession of a weapon, officials said during a press conference on Thursday.
Lakanwal is accused of firing at two National Guard members, 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom and 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, on Wednesday afternoon.
The suspect allegedly "opened fire without provocation, ambush style," struck one of the victims, leaned over and shot the individual again, before firing at the other National Guard member "several times," Pirro said on Thursday.
Video obtained by The Wall Street Journal shows the moment of the shooting. The footage briefly shows Lakanwal brandishing a gun before he runs off-camera. A National Guardsmen can also be seen in the video running and reloading his gun.
(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...
The perp should have to listen to Christmas music during his remaining days on Earth.
I assume you meant this:
!a that blood stains on the sidewalk on the cbs photo?
!a that blood stains on the sidewalk on the abc photo?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.