Skip to comments.Islam & Lds, Muhammad & Joseph Smith: Similarities (+ Lds ecumenical nods toward Islam) [Vanity]
Posted on 07/31/2012 6:31:13 PM PDT by Colofornian
Per the Feb. 7, 2012 Pakistan Independent (see first link below), "The current LDS First Presidency Statement of 1978 says specifically mentions Prophet Muhammad as one of the great religious leaders of the world who received a portion of Gods light .
It would appear, therefore, that the Muslim world might be "happy" with either an Obama re-election or Mitt Romney. And, hey, why not? Just look at all the "ecumenical" outreach attempts with Islam made by Mormon leaders in the "ecumenical" link section listed below.
For these past seven years, over a dozen Freepers have been faithful in posting the 25 articles linked below...several of these written by Mormon writers/sources -- and one thread below posted by a Mormon.
* Mormonism: What the Latter Day Saints think of Islam [Indicator of how Mitt perceives Islam?] [Pakistan Independent thread]
* Mitt Romney: "Islam is not an inherently violent faith" [My Note: With this kind of lack of Romney foreign policy discernment, expect MORE Romney foreign policy boo-boos like his comments in the UK @ Olympics]
* Islamic And Mormonism Similarities: Similarities Between Joseph Smith and Muhammad (Written by Brother Andrew, a pioneer missionary leader to typically "closed" countries re: the gospel)
* Islamic And Mormonism Similarities (Same content posted a year later on FR)
* Common Threads between Islam and Mormonism (posted by Freeper poster Kaslin and written by one with an Egyptian heritage)
* Common Threads between Islam and Mormonism (same thread as above -- posted by another FREEPER)
* Mormons and Muslims? How do you all see each other? [Written @ BYU source]
* A Latter-day Saint Perspective on Muhammad Mormon-(OPEN) [Written by a BYU prof and posted in official Lds church publication]
* Thoughts on Islam, in Mormons and Muslims: Spiritual Foundations and Modern Manifestations
* Muslims and Latter-day Saints Mormon (OPEN) [article from a recognized Lds site]
* Bridges of faith between Mormons and Muslims
* (LDS)L.D.S. perspective on Islam (this is an earlier -- 2005 --FR thread citing a BYU prof who's been deemed a "leader" among Lds apologists)
* Mormons, Muslims break the fast in Southern California (Mormon "interfaith outreach)
* Muslims and Mormons share worship space in St Charles
* A Message of Friendship: Muslims and Latter-Day Saints [from a recognized Lds apologetics Web site]
* BYU Hawaiis First Non-Mormon Student President Credits Mormons for Making Him a Better Muslim
* Muslims attending BYU focus on similarities between Islam, LDS tenets
* Mormons, Muslims get along by creating books, not destroying them [LDS OPEN]
* Major Islamic art exhibit being installed at BYU [Utah Mormon University]
* 'Beauty and Belief' - Acclaimed Islamic art exhibit at BYU [Mormon]
* Latter-day Saint Perspective on Muhammad (LDS/Muslim Caucus) (This was posted by a Mormon and was written by a BYU prof)
* Revealed: Mormons Baptized 9/11 Hijacker, made several attempts to Baptize Mohammed
* MSNBC: MORMONS BAPTIZED 9/11 HIJACKER: Will Mainstream Media destroy Romney over his Religion?
* Twin Sept. 11 tragedies created tides of religious intolerance
* Mitt Romneys Mormon faith tangles with a quirk of Arkansas history [Washington Post thread]
Yipee for you. Now to the subject at hand...
Hence, you made an open-ended promise that you now refuse to honor...and here I thought the goal would be to encourage others ... first you, and then me, and then others on my ping list...to double our/their August donations...Apparently that wasn't your goal at all...twas simply to come in here with a huff and a puff and all smoke with promises of a full_blown blaze...instead hijacking the thread subject just so you could try to reinforce your personal ad hominens that the mod has to babysit your keyboard by yanking some of your posts on this thread...tainan was right about your tactics after all...
Really? Because I could have SWORN this thread was actually about Mormonism, but maybe you don't recognize that 'LDS' in the title refers to Mormonism.
To me, it is YOU that is spamming this particular thread. But, we humans often project our own issues on to others.
Well, you win, that reply makes no sense.
This is the religion forum, which means religious discussions, not some weird thing you are focused on.
What is your view on mormonism or is it as it appears money is your god.
Indeed...Lds bait & switch as well...
They tell investigators to pray about the Book of Mormon & its content; but MOST of primary Lds doctrines are NOT to be even found in the Book of Mormon!
Oh geez, did I forget to tell you about that ten percent and that coffee thing? Oh well, lets get that baptismal garb on. We'll talk later. I need to make my numbers.
Now I had just left the thread and you pinged me back. You are a liar at best. Well, actually not a very good one since everyone can follow your posting history and donations. You are welcome to look at mine all the way back. It is there.
Now how about getting it done, rather than flapping you lips and spamming threads.
So, has Jim Robinson made you the Chief of thread police without informing other FReepers?
You might want to take a look at the rules for the Religion Forum while you are making threats...it appears that you have broken just about all of them.
Whereas posters may argue vigorously for and against beliefs on open Religion Forum threads it is never tolerable to use ad hominems in religious debate because they invariably lead to flame wars when the subject is ones deeply held religious beliefs.
For something to be "making it personal" it must be speaking to another Freeper, personally.
"Protestants are heretics" is not making it personal. "You are a heretic" is making it personal. "Catholics worship Mary" is not making it personal. "You worship Mary" is making it personal. "Mormons worship many gods" is not making it personal. "You worship many gods" is making it personal.
However, when a poster paints with a brush that accuses an entire religion of criminal behavior - his post will be pulled as flame bait. For example, posts that say "Protestants kill babies" or "Catholics molest children" or "Mormons kill non-Mormons" will be pulled. However, if the post is specific about a non-Freeper, I will not pull it. For example "Rev. Doe says abortion and infanticide are not sin" or "Father Doe was convicted for molesting those kids" or "Mormons killed non-Mormons at Mountain Meadows" would not be pulled.
Statements formed as questions are rarely "making it personal."
"Are you a heretic" is not making it personal. "You are a heretic" is making it personal.
Forms of "making it personal" include mind reading, attributing motive, accusing another Freeper of telling a lie (because it attributes motive, the intent to deceive) - making the thread "about" individual Freeper(s), following a Freeper from thread to thread and badgering a Freeper over-and-again with the same question.
The words "prevarication" "dishonesty" "slander" "deceit" "calumny" and "subterfuge" are synonymous with "lie" because they entail intent.
Words such as "false" "error" "wrong" "inaccurate" "misstatement" do not attribute motive and are not "making it personal."
Other words push the envelope of motive but are not synonymous with "lie" for purposes of modding the RF. However, they can be "making it personal" if applied to another Freeper, personally, in such a way the discussion becomes "about" the individual Freeper instead of the issues. Those words include "misrepresentation" "detraction" "disinformation" "distortion" "hyperbole" and "doublespeak."
Another example, calling a group of Freepers "anti-Mormon" attributes motive to them as a group which is not technically "making it personal" - but saying that another Freeper, personally, is anti-Mormon instead of anti-MormonISM is an ad hominem. It is "making it personal."
Another example, a poster may say on an open RF thread that a particular belief, diety, religious authority, etc. is "Satanic." But he must not say "You are Satanic." That would be "making it personal." The Bible is always a legitimate source on the Religion Forum, so a poster might quote the Bible where Jesus called Peter "Satan." If a post serves no debate purpose (flame bait or 'making it personal' by devious means) - it would be pulled."
I have seen challenges made during FReepathons before, and even made one myself earlier this month...I have never seen the kind of hostility that is evident in your "challenge" before. That doesn't seem to be an effective way to convince people to donate to the FReepathon.
Congratulations. I believe that ou will probably be a star at the TrueBlueLosers site.
People who talk about how much money they have to throw around probably don’t and those who can’t stay on point have even bigger problems.
Jim, if you are gonna celebrate the actions of the FReeper who is using this FReepathon for his own ends, cancel my monthly, including the August donation.
Oh, I won’t be posting at the TBL site. I’ll just join the freeloaders here and let you carry the weight.
No matter how many times Mountain Meadow Massacre is talked about, it is the exception and not the rule. You do not have to agree with us, but I wish you would get some of you information about us from somewhere then from those who are not careful with reteaching our teachings.”
Considering the Book of Mormon has been changed more than 3,000 times, and there are so many lies and contradictions within Mormon teachings, I believe it is the Mormons who are not careful with reteaching their own teachings. Your “our” is so obviously a fraud only someone with a cult mentality could believe it. I can dismantle Mormonism in 5 seconds. A Mormon chooses to believe for reasons I cannot comprehend for years and years, teaching others to be similarly deluded, and in so doing lose themselves in false pride and delusion leading to a terrible fate.
“How about you and your posse match my donations dollar per dollar? Are you up for it?”
You forgot to include me on the list, defender of Mormonism. Unfortunately, after losing my job, I live on the edge of an abyss. Perhaps since you are so giving and a much better person than us, you can email me your information so I can deduct a few hundred dollars from your bank account?
Are you up for it?
Among these are no ad hominems or as I usually put it: "discuss the issues all you want, but do not make it personal."
Words such as "false" "wrong" "error" do not attribute motive.
Click on my profile page for the guidelines to the Religion Forum.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.