Skip to comments.Georgia special election goes to runoff as GOP gets wakeup call
Posted on 04/18/2017 11:27:57 PM PDT by MeneMeneTekelUpharsin
click here to read article
Probably, because there's a number of Dems out there that are stupid enough to believe the "He almost won!" nonsense the DNC is selling.
This is the same pre-written story the Democrats, media and pollsters here in Georgia played with Little Miss Princess Nunn running for Senator. Spent mucho and blowharded as hard as they could and she lost - without a runoff.
They then tried this scaled down version where the numbers were relatively close with a smaller voter pool and it still didn’t work. A runoff is scheduled and this little Ubama will lose in June. It will be a close race and Republicans are going to have to support Handel, but she will win with support.
5) On TV, palm cards, yardsigns Ossoff did NOT run against Trump. He never mentioned Trump. He ran on cleaning up waste and duplication in government.
6) I moved to red GA 4 years ago from blue IL. I’ve been looking for a Republican, Conservative or Tea Party organization in GA, especially my Fulton County. There are small cliques of GA and Fulton County Republican party officials who meet to pat each other’s back.
But they have no desire to build an organization. Bringing in new people might threaten their safe place in the comfortable little club.
The GA Republican Assembly is trying to build a more active organization that would build a more active party organization. But most Republicans, most conservatives in GA seem to be content in their safe space and don’t want nobody building anything.
Meanwhile, thousands of Democrats from the Rust Belt are moving to GA because this is where the jobs are. Nobody is trying to reach out to the new comers to ask them to think why there are jobs in GA, but not in Chicago.
The result is that the thousands of new voters in Georgia might turn the state purple. Each election brings the Republicans closer and closer to the tipping point.
cnn- what a crock...
yesterday in the gym cnn was on the TV...what the big banner under the story they’re talking about?
“PRESSURE BUILDS ON TRUMP TO RELEASE TAX RETURNS”
That means the clerks there were likely Democrats. Electioneering and advertising is specifically prohibited.
When I worked the polls, even bumper stickers saying the Party were prohibited, and that was enforced - even for a local elections bigwig Democrat who’d wangled his way into power in this 2/3 Red county.
“The GOP does not answer wake up calls.”
True. The GOP is consistent in demonstrating it is incapable of effective leadership and governance. I’ve voted GOP for over 40 years as the least bad option. Out of power Republicans posture as conservatives, enjoy the perks of office and tell the voters all the wonderful things they will do if ever given a majority. Once they have the majority they enjoy the perks of office, push through bills designed to please the big money donors, and give voters hundreds of excuses as to why they can’t execute the agenda they ran on. Always promising fiscal responsibility, they are as bad as Democrats in running up deficit spending.
In contrast the Democrats do take care of their voter base and they do fight whether in the majority or the minority. They play offense. Republicans play a weak defense.
Once the GOP, under George W. Bush went on an earmark spending orgy and doubled the accumulated deficit, the GOP lost almost all of its credibility. This year, with fiasco of failing to repeal Obamacare, the GOP lost what little remained of its credibility.
For the individual citizen, voting is a meaningless exercise. Look at the performance of the government with the GOP controlling both the executive and legislative branches.
1. No Obamacare repeal and had it been repealed the replacement attached to the repeal bill was more of the same heavy handed federal government oversight and regulation of the healthcare market.
2. Meaningful tax reform is dead. Congress is nowhere. There may be not tax reform at all. Certainly no streamlining of the tax code.
3. Budgeting by continuing resolution is status quo. Business as usual instead of real cuts. Lots of noise and posturing about “planned” cuts but where are they? Annual deficits in the hundreds of billions will continue to occur.
4. Where’s the wall? Mexico isn’t paying and apparently the GOP Congress has no intention of funding it. Can’t build a wall with no money.
5. Trade. Back to business as usual. Chinese are happy after Xi’s visit. Where’s the renegotiated NAFTA? Where are the tariffs and fees?
6. Reign in Wall Street banks? Goldman Sachs insiders are running the US Treasury Department again.
7. No infrastructure bill. Again - talk, talk, talk.
8. Big new entitlement being developed — Ivanka’s childcare subsidy.
9. Planned Parenthood defunding? Not going to happen.
10. Entitlement reform. Who is even working on it?
11. Investigating and prosecuting corruption in the swamp. Investigations by the GOP Congress are a joke. Issa, Goudy, Nunes, Chaffitz love to preen in front of the camera but can’t make anything stick. The first thing Sessions does as AG is recuse himself from the Clinton investigations which means nothing will happen.
12. Foreign policy. Where’s the pullback from ongoing meddling in other nations and conducting war across the planet? Plenty of saber rattling and both North Korea and Iran are still doing what they were doing under Obama. It turns out the carrier task force intended to intimidate the North Koreans was 3500 miles away.
13. Thousands of key posts unfilled. Tough to battle the bureaucracy without people to lead the charge. Dismissed 46 US attorneys, not one replaced.
14. Immigration. No action by Congress. President’s executive order shot down by courts.
Accomplishments to date. A few regulations repealed or watered down. Gorsuch confirmed to the Supreme Court. I won’t celebrate Gorsuch until I see how he actually votes. We’ve been burned badly by a number of so called conservatives appointed by the GOP — Earl Warren, Harry Blackman, David Souter, John Roberts to name a few.
Ryan tells us they need more time to draft legislation even though the GOP has been running the House for over 6 years and the Senate for over 2. Yet recent history proves they can move when they want to. Congress drafted and pushed TARP through in a few weeks when their Wall Street buddies and the auto industry needed a bailout. The Patriot Act was drafted and passed less than 2 months after 9/11. Obama’s stimulus package in 2009 was passed quickly. The truth is, legislation they don’t want gets tied up in committees until it dies.
What has the GOP done to demonstrate to its own voters, much less the American people, it is capable of leading government? So far, the grade is “F”.
Everyone wants a place at the trough.
this is not a win imo. KAren Handel is another never Trump cuck who will do whatever Paul Ryan wants her to do.. very perturbed at the 6th
Best loss for the DNC since Hillary. Keep rolling out those moral victories.
Real Fake News!
The stupid GOPers in Georgia stood in a circle and shot each other, ALMOST leaving the Dim holding the prize. Egos at play more than principles.
Appealing front man. Ossoff is young, photogenic, and talked a conservative message. He likely peeled off a fragment of marginal Republican voters. He addressed conservativeish issues and avoided the normal Democrat talking points like the plague.
Nowhere near this District, but Osoff looked awkward, wimpy, cocky and evasive. He also looked too young and not in a good way. When the news broke that he hadn’t even bothered to reside in the District for the sake of appearances, I knew he’d miss 50%+1.
The donks did get close, but not because of massive Trump defections. They played every cheat they could. I wonder if the missing check-in machines dissuaded a significant percentage?
We should not become overconfident and every election is important. But the fact that this is the best they had and they also tried to cheat says our side still has hearts and minds. And votes.
11 R, 5 D and 2 I were running...Anyone one knew the names of the Ds running?
The conceit of the Bolshekrats is, that, the Bolshies think they are the alternative to Republicans, when, the alternative is the TEA Party.
Now the ads and attacks will be directed at him. This one is over before it starts
Sigh. Come on now. Due to the election structure in GA this was an open primary and always heading to a runoff. In a Republican safe district every R around put their hat in the ring because they know that if they can get through this round they will end up with the seat.
Ossof just showed the peak support a D will get. Let’s see how he does with the entire GOP apparatus focusing on him. 40% max.
That’s what has been in my mind. Trump and Ryan have about six weeks to get serious about keeping DJT’s promises of healthcare reform and tax cuts or Election Night in GA might not be pretty for us.
I’m thinking that the first swamp that needs to be drained is the one overtaking the Oval Office and White House or nothing will be accomplished. Ivanka and Jared are sneaking in too many libs and Dems.
Nope. Pure wishful thinking.
Democrats, when your radical Leftist candidate, spends $10,000,000 trying to lie he is a Moderate Republican style candidate, you have all ready lost the debate.
Really stupid tactics by the Dems. Spent $10,000,000 desperately trying to win a meaningless PR stunt in a seat they cannot hold in 2018. A PR stunt that would of been utterly meaningless to everyone outside the DC beltway fake media machine.
Which is the same idiot mindset that gave you 8 years of Obama.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.