Skip to comments.My Turn - 10 Things that could have won this at the end (vanity)
Posted on 11/10/2012 6:53:22 AM PST by BobL
Yes, it's bad, but no the country has not (yet) completely rejected us or what we stand for.
So let me start by saying the next 4 years will be terrible (if I don't say all this, I will just be attacked as a nutcase). We'll likely end up with a hard-left Supreme Court (although the current court may give us a few good rulings first). The lower federal courts will all be hard-left too. Foreign and military policy will stink - but if we're lucky, nothing fatal or permanent will happen there, and we can hopefully build out of it. Other areas will be terrible too.
Rush says we were outnumbered and it cannot get better. I don't believe that was the case, at least not in this election. Yes, we were defeated, but NO it was far from inevitable. And yes, demographics are moving away from us, but no, demographics move very slow and there are at least a few more presidential elections before it becomes very difficult to win, but there are steps that can even delay that (although it's looking unlikely that we'll get enough of them).
So, the relatively optimistic vanity - simply because this election was not won by Obama, but rather it was lost by Romney and the Republican Party, and then only at the end - the last month. We had a candidate that ran a cool, disciplined, campaign - and then BLEW IT at the very end. They had a candidate that also ran a very disciplined campaign, but did not blow it at the end.
So here are my 10 reasons that we lost. If each of them could be worth a point for Romney, he would have won in a landslide.
1) ORCA - the Republican Get Out the Vote effort TOTALLY crashed on election day. Not surprising - Romney used computer programmers that drove junkers with Obama bumper stickers (just guessing here). Maybe that was all he could get, but he still should have had both independent electronic backup and hand backup at the same time. He didn't - he figured that since his laptop always worked, ORCA would always work. He was an IDIOT. Obama's people had their version of ORCA, but the guy working there likely drove the same car, with the same Obama bumper sticker - and Obama's people would have been a bit suspicious if they saw a well-dressed programmer with a Romney bumper sticker and no facial hair. The Romney people were IDIOTS here for putting all of their cards in one place.
2) Hurricane Sandy - took the spotlight off of the campaign, which didn't help things. It was a once-in-lifetime storm, and it was timed as the perfect October surprise. It gave the president a chance to get people's minds off the economy.
3) Governor Christie - he had NO REASON to invite Obama to NJ. This alone likely cost Romney the majority vote in the election. Bloomberg, who had political reasons to help Obama, told Obama to keep out and gave GREAT political cover to Christie. There was nothing stopping Christie from inviting Obama over on Nov. 7th (after the election). Romney's people did try to stop this sabotage, but could not. (p.s., I count these as different topics, because there was no reason for the second one).
4) Not believing the Polls - They figured that the polls were off by at least 5%. It never occurred to them that that's never happened before. They (and nearly all of us) were convinced of the same. So they figured they had it in the bag at the end. This leads into a number of other points.
5) Romney was winning - Given that the polls were right, after all, then Romney was actually winning after the first debate. If demographics were so bad, then how was it that Romney EVER had any lead - as Obama would have owned his 51% right through? Obviously this election was winnable for Romney - had it been held a week after the first debate. People were ready to support Romney and reject Obama.
6) Playing a pre-vent defense at the end. Going into the first debate, Romney was in huge trouble and was further down than he ultimately lost by. So Romney was aggressive (just like when he was on the ropes during the primaries) and picked up something like 10 points in that debate, and made Obama look like a fool. But then they had Ryan back off, and then Romney gave Obama a pass, especially on foreign policy. Dems will always screw up foreign policy, but Republicans have this thing about not using it against them. STUPID. You have to win, first. This was their biggest strategic mistake - Reagan would have also lost in 1980 if he had backed off of Carter and played defense (and he nearly lost in 1984 doing the same in the first debate). Pre-vent defenses ALWAYS fail, unless you're up by 30 points at the two-minute warning, which was never the case for Romney.
7) Rush falling into the Women trap. Rush had Obama's re-election plan called down to the tee, probably for over a year. Obama needed to get people's minds off of the economy, and the big group for that was single women. So what did Rush do (and sorry Rush, but this didn't help, at all) - he called Fluck (or whatever her name is) a slut. It was somewhat funny, but face it, most of his listeners cringed and the Dems had a field day making her into a victim (which she, of course, was not). Rush stuck with it and seemed more interested in showing that he could ultimately win-out over them (which he did), but the damage was done outside of his show - and the Dems thought Christmas came early.
8) Two IDIOT Senate Candidates. Again, the women trap. Is there ANYONE in the Republican Party that can train these types of candidates on how to handle questions on abortion and other sensitive social issues, or does the party just ignore them and hope they go away? Or maybe if The Establishment would support Tea Party candidates once in while at the start, they party might be able to train them a bit. A campaign is a pressure-cooker, especially for Republicans - the candidates have to be ready. A very easy answer to the abortion question regarding forcible rape is to simply say something like "It's not the baby's fault, and that's just how I feel - next question". If Akin had simply said that, him and 10 others would be taking over the Senate. But the damage, obviously, spilled over to Romney, as it got women thinking about something other than the economy.
9) The House stayed Republican. Again, if we're outnumbered, why isn't Pelosi the next Speaker?
10) Fraud and Voter ID. This is likely worth a million (or more) votes just on its own. Not easy to fix, but Voter ID would likely go most of the way. From what I could see in Texas, where we had the infrastructure in place, but was not allowed to use it - it can be very effective. Voters here had to show an approved ID (had it been in place, but we showed the ID anyway to speed things up), and then it was electronically entered. If it was a driver license or state ID, it was checked against state records and your name was checked off. If something else, not sure what happened - but passports are expensive to produce and there won't be many fake passports for one vote each.
So I'll repeat again - yes, I know the next 4 years will bite (please don't attack me on that) - but NO it's not over yet, for us - we have not yet lost America.
We wouldn’t be in this situation if McRino hadn’t pimped for hussein in ‘08 and if we still had a two party system.
Really? The ONE thing that could of won was not nominate a liberal Republican.
Rush - hahahahah Fluke is a slut and Limbaugh made fun of her as it should be.
I hate to point out the birdshit on your Pollyanna hat but MY house is worth half of what it was 5 years ago already. If you think there will be anything left in 4 more years you are joyful under a delusion.
“We wouldnt be in this situation if McRino hadnt pimped for hussein in 08 and if we still had a two party system.”
You won’t catch me EVER defending McCain. At least Romney wanted to actually win, even if he and the party ended up being incompetent.
“The ONE thing that could of won was not nominate a liberal Republican.”
Of course...I didn’t mention the fact that we would still be cringing if Romney had actually won - because we would have not idea what he had in store.
“Rush - hahahahah Fluke is a slut and Limbaugh made fun of her as it should be.”
Yea, but not when they want you to do just that.
Hurricane Isaac and Hurricane Sandy.
What are the chance of that??
“...but MY house is worth half of what it was 5 years ago already”
That’s because you overpaid. I left California (for Texas) rather than buy-in at those prices. I knew it was going to collapse and it did, UNDER BUSH.
Barack Obama voter fraud 2012
Friday, November 9, 2012 - 22 Updates Posted Today and People You Can Contact! See FRIDAY UPDATES! *
Is this what Barack Obama calls a ground game? All things considered, on this page and elsewhere, Mitt Romney IS our President elect. Lets do something about it!
Ill be adding additional links on a regular basis and forwarding all of this information to Mitts campaign! Please send other links.
Evidence of massive Obama voter fraud in Colorado! Ten counties show 104% to 140% turnout!
Fraud: Some told they already voted, others brag about voting multiple times
Crooked Politics: Obama Lost in Every State With Photo ID Law
Philly Polling Stations Where GOP Inspectors Were Kicked Out Had 90% Voter Turnout, 99% Voted For Obama
[Sounds like those Black Panthers who kicked out the GOP observers and stood guard at the polling stations were not just trying to intimidate voters! They were hiding something!]
Voter Fraud Watch: Two Election Judges Replaced After Illegal Activity in Ohio - Fox News Insider
Why the Polls are Wrong: Electorate is R+6
Vote fraud alert: One out of five registered Ohio voters is bogus
via @BeachCity55 on Twitter: Senior parents in Florida told not to put their ballots through their reader but in a box. Senior votes in FL not counted?
Data Points To A Powerful Romney Campaign And Yet
You have to vote for Dems NYC poll worker tells GOP Senate candidate #IllegalElectioneering
At least 70,000 report voting problems, mostly in swing states
Plane crash destroys Afghanistan US military ballots, most of which are for Mitt Romney
Obamas pattern of disenfranchisement of the military vote
Another Stolen Election? Election data HIGHLY suspicious AND the George Soros Secretary of State Project http://goo.gl/y1ybR
Yes, this is the same George Soros who owns part of the company in Spain Obama outsourced parts of the election to and who has been banned from Hungary because he tampered with elections there.
We will continue to add updates! Please check back often!
From my friend Lynn Victory on Facebook:
Thanks for what you are doing. My son is friends with a guy in the Romney campaign who has actually been on since 2008. He is not high up, but said that the O campaign bought high tech equipment to target county by county where the votes were needed in battle-ground states, so that they could bus in the needed votes. The guy would not say fraud, but that is fraud.
Also this referral from Lynn:
White House Insider on Obama Steal the Votes Strategy (Just Before the Election)
But these Obama boys they took it to a whole other level. Votes, donations deals its a lot more Putin than it is Clinton. Pay to play Big Labor this country never seen it at this level.
Voter fraud witnessed in Wisconsin by one of Mitts ORCA observers:
via Lori Patriot on Facebook:
52 Democrats arrested for VOTER FRAUD so far
VIDEO: Illegal Aliens Caught Voting and Stealing Elections In Florida In Vast Numbers
In 2008, John McCain Ignored Vote Fraud to Avoid Civil Unrest
[See what that got us?]
Michael Savage: How Obama fixed 2012 election
Massive voter fraud discovered in April
Is Voter Fraud Being Committed in Ohio? (Early Voting)
Pundit Press: What Luck! Obama Won Dozens of Cleveland Districts with 100% of the Vote
Photo of Ethiopians brought to Ohio voting stations by busload, 95% of whom did not speak English, and told to vote for Obama, straight Dem ticket
Did this Dirty Trick Get Obama Re-Elected?
Vote Fraud Expert: Romney Votes Not Counted in Key States
Could we fix an election? Sure, they would never know it.
Thousands of votes from our military troops uncounted or missing
Defense Department cant put soldiers, ballots together
Voter fraud in Pennsylvania - Black Panthers return, GOP inspectors thrown out
Ohio fraudulent voter registration cards
Ohio Residents Told They Already Voted When They Showed Up At the Polls Tuesday
Poll Worker Puts Glendale Precincts Ballots on Car, Drives Away
Referenced above, but with more information:
Two Ohio Election Judges Removed for Allowing Unregistered Voters to Cast Ballots
Democrat Admits Hes Voted FOUR Times Already
Boston reports 129% voter turnout, 79% for Obama; 74% for Elizabeth Warren
This one could be just a calibration issue, but not necessarily based on the programers testimony in the next link:
Voting machine swaps Romney for Obama
Programmer Testifies About Rigging Elections With Vote Counting
VIDEO: Possible voter fraud in Pennsylvania or just voting machine malfunction?
Voter Fraud Complaint Filed against Florida Democrats
Ballot Re-writers Update from Allen Westhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=299196730187117&set=a.198312883608836.34844.198021666971291&type=1&theater
Half the Democratic ground game is voter turnout. The other half is voter fraud.
Voter Fraud: Obama Won 108% of Registered Voters in Wood County, Ohio
Video: Diebold Whistleblower Speaks Out on Voter Fraud
BREAKING: St. Lucie County, Florida Had 141.1% Turnout; Obama Won County
Between St. Lucie and Broward Counties, we have a pretty good idea what happened in Florida. Normal voting is what, 50% turnout? It doesnt take many counties like this to affect an entire state by multiple percentage points.
All of these numbers between 99% (Pennsylvania) and 141.1% (Florida) turnout in dozens of counties in swing states makes me think Team Obama was panicking a lot just before the election, with Mitt up by 7% in certain early voting polls. They overcompensated so much the fraud is impossible to hide. I think they know it, which may be one reason Axelrod is stepping down. (Sound familiar Petraeus and Benghazi?)
As I told someone earlier today, this is who Obama is. This is who Chicago (the machine) is. Do we really want this to be who America is? Is this how we will define our elections from 2008 on? As Mitt says, America can do better. We must do better. We cant let the message be out there that America will let this fraud go.
Want to do something about all of this? Tiffany Banks and Darin Southam forwarded me a list of people you can contact who are in the November 9, 2012 3:12 PM comment below.
Did you know voters can request a recount in certain states? (Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Wisconsin!) Take a look at the comment by @RightonMainSt dated November 9, 2012 11:45 PM below for instructions! Mitt will have to ask in Colorado himself. (Yes, you Mitt!)
It has also been suggested that we ask Republican Secretaries of State NOT to certify the election until all questions about voter fraud are abated. Some people think this may provoke a crisis, but it cant be worse than the one we are looking at for the next four years and the impact on generations to come! America NEEDS Mitt, and Mitt won fair and square. This was not a ballot stuffing competition but an election. Lets make sure its counted that way!
Thank you all. Over 7,500 people have visited this page in the first 24 hours and I hope millions will see it eventually. Please pass it on! We can do this! (Yes we can!)
Another good way to handle it is as follows. Just say two things, and nothing else:
1. Rape is a crime and the perpetrator should be punished.
2. Abortion should only be considered if the life of the mother is unquestionably threatened by continuing the pregnancy.
Then call for the next question. Say no more. Shut your big mouth. The first answer frames the question properly and places the responsibility on the perpetrator, where it should be. The second sums up your position without injecting concepts like "legitimate rape", a magic uterus, or God's will, things that the media will twist and conflate and utterly destroy you with, and of course the average voter, not being very smart, will buy it.
“Shut your big mouth.”
I thought that was directed at me, LOL. Yes, your answer is better than mine...but even mine would probably be enough to keep it off the headlines, yet still not compromise anything. And I agree - life of the mother is certainly acceptable - since someone will die either way (anyway).
I think it was #1Orca, all the way. Sandys political impact seemed to have been limited to the impacted NE states. The other items are all hindsight is 20/20 items with negligable impact relative to the GOTV plan collapsing without a fallback.
One word: GINGRICH.
He’d have wiped the floor with jugears.
Lotta people are being real quiet right now: Ryan, Palin, Newt, others.... why?
Excellent, patriot08! I’ve saved your post to read and email later. I don’t *do* facebook and most of my contacts don’t either so I’ll send this on to them.
This was not about Obama. This was not about Romney. This was not about Republican or Democrat.
In 2008 we got to find out who Obama was. In 2012 we got to find out who the American people are.
This is about the electorate.
1. Simply don’t know.
2. I believe would have actually helped Romney if it hit in the right area. It hit in an area that was largely irrelevant to the GOP.
3. No. Had nothing to do with it. Chris Christie did what he needed to do for his State. Be that as it may, I do not support Chris Christie for 2016.
4. I didn’t believe the polls either and I had a built in 5% Obama deficit. I guess the Bradley or Dinkins affect doesn’t exist after all.
5. I believe the election was winnable, just not by Romney as I think Romney ran a near tactical perfect campaign.
6. Disagree. It’s really really tough to go head to head on foreign policy against a sitting President. Romney did perfect on debate #3.
7. Rush is great, but I don’t take him for more than he is, a political entertainer.
8. Bingo, Bingo, Bingo. We have a winner here. Stupid candidates sabotaging their own campaigns and muddling the message of Romney.
9. #8 dragged the Senate down along with Romney. The house stayed the same because house seats represent districts and as the red/blue map shows us, there are more red districts than blue.
10. I don’t think fraud really works at the presidential level in general, maybe if it’s close. This wasn’t close. Most fraud is for state and local elections.
#8 is the winner.
“Lotta people are being real quiet right now: Ryan, Palin, Newt, others.... why?”
They are in shock - and it was ALL due to thinking the polls were wrong and this would be a blowout. They’ll get their footing.
Actually, Republicans need to STFU altogether about abortion. Abortion is to Republicans what gun control is to Democrats; a net vote loser. Pro-life accolades bring nobody new to the party. They only drive people away.
Candidates need to understand that Roe v. Wade is the Law of the Land (and is highly unlikely to get overturned) and this should be their answer. They can vote for pro-life initiatives once elected. Demanding an anti-abortion litmus test from every Republican running for office is a recipe for disaster. How many babies are Akin and Mourdock saving these days? Their idiocy drove away millions of female and moderate voters and gave the pro-abortion side two more Senators.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.