Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Kim Komando: Amazing Google Earth Discoveries (video)
YouTube ^ | January 31, 2013 | Kim Komando

Posted on 01/31/2013 9:06:42 AM PST by EveningStar

You can now see satellite images of the entire planet using Google Earth. Some folks have uncovered unbelievable hidden landmarks!

(Excerpt) Read more at youtube.com ...

TOPICS: Computers/Internet; Science
KEYWORDS: earth; googleearth; kimkomando; planetearth
Warning: The first 7 seconds of the video contain an excerpt from the incredibly annoying "It's a Small World" song. Once you get by that, the video is interesting.
1 posted on 01/31/2013 9:06:53 AM PST by EveningStar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: EveningStar

Kim Komando looks much better then you’d expect from her name and her voice. She sounds like a big bruiser to me.

2 posted on 01/31/2013 9:11:57 AM PST by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

3 posted on 01/31/2013 9:12:13 AM PST by married21

To: All

Don’t ever subscribe to her ‘news’ letters.
Your mail will be flooded daily

4 posted on 01/31/2013 9:15:28 AM PST by patriot08 (NATIVE TEXAN (girl type))

To: DManA

Big bruiser? :)

5 posted on 01/31/2013 9:18:10 AM PST by EveningStar ("What color is the sky in your world?" -- Frasier Crane)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

She’s got that smokers’ voice.

6 posted on 01/31/2013 9:26:45 AM PST by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

So, are there pics of Kim sunbathing in her backyard?

7 posted on 01/31/2013 9:28:43 AM PST by Paladin2

To: patriot08

I keep a junk gmail account for stuff like that. I use that if I want to sign up for something that demands you give them an email address. Every few months I go in and do a mass delete.

8 posted on 01/31/2013 9:28:51 AM PST by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

9 posted on 01/31/2013 9:32:25 AM PST by al baby (Hi Mom)

I keep a junk gmail account for stuff like that.

mailinator.com is great for temporary email addresses. If someone just wants and address for verification, just give them a mailinator.com address and then check your mail. There are no passwords or security and it doesn't store mail for long, but it's perfect for one shot emails.

10 posted on 01/31/2013 9:36:00 AM PST by KarlInOhio (Choose one: the yellow and black flag of the Tea Party or the white flag of the Republican Party.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

“An error occurred. Please try again later.”

11 posted on 01/31/2013 9:37:14 AM PST by SVTCobra03 (You can never have enough friends, horsepower or ammunition.)

She’s got that smokers’ voice.

She was offended when one of her listeners wrote in thinking she was a man.

12 posted on 01/31/2013 9:38:11 AM PST by a fool in paradise (America 2013 - STUCK ON STUPID)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Dude... Just...

No.

Kim’s long been known for being a hottie.

13 posted on 01/31/2013 9:45:59 AM PST by Dead Corpse (I will not comply.)

Is FR now allowing commercials?

14 posted on 01/31/2013 10:09:45 AM PST by spel_grammer_an_punct_polise (Learn three chords and you, too, can be a Rock Star!)

To: spel_grammer_an_punct_polise; Admin Moderator

FR does not allow solicitation. I didn’t think this was solicitation, but let’s see what the Admin Moderator says.

15 posted on 01/31/2013 10:51:17 AM PST by EveningStar ("What color is the sky in your world?" -- Frasier Crane)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

TTIWWP

16 posted on 01/31/2013 11:27:06 AM PST by EQAndyBuzz (I own a weapon to protect my family from those wanting to take that weapon away.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Are Google Earth's satellite images up to date?

The reason I ask is that if I Mapquest my house and zoom in, it's my house as it looked a few years ago......

17 posted on 01/31/2013 11:35:02 AM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)

To: EQAndyBuzz
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
18 posted on 01/31/2013 11:44:06 AM PST by EveningStar ("What color is the sky in your world?" -- Frasier Crane)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Hot Tabasco

Google Earth imagery is constantly being updated, but at low temporal fidelity. The most recent image of any given place might be days old or years old.

Keep checking, though. They’re constantly adding new data of something.

19 posted on 01/31/2013 11:46:13 AM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: EveningStar; Admin Moderator

“FR does not allow solicitation. I didn’t think this was solicitation, but let’s see what the Admin Moderator says.”

I was wondering how much Google paid her to do that segment.

20 posted on 01/31/2013 11:52:01 AM PST by spel_grammer_an_punct_polise (Learn three chords and you, too, can be a Rock Star!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: ArrogantBustard
Do you have Google Earth? Is there any danger in downloading it?

Do you know anything about Google Chrome web browsing?

21 posted on 01/31/2013 12:30:31 PM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

I use Google Earth on Windows and Android ... no danger that I am aware of.

I don't use the Google Chrome web browser, so cannot comment meaningfully on it.

22 posted on 01/31/2013 12:32:37 PM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

...incredibly annoying “It’s a Small World” song.”

When my daughter was three we took her to Disney in Calif. She loved that ride and had memorized the song and was able to sign it out after only the first ride - singing it millions of times over the years, as a matter of fact. The next time we went to Disney was 10 years ago when she was 39 and she and I took her the grandson. She sang it out loudly during the ride. She was killed in an auto accident shortly after that. Wish I had recorded her singing it. While it may be annoying to you, hearing it does trigger memories which are precious to me.

23 posted on 01/31/2013 12:34:16 PM PST by Grams A (The Sun will rise in the East in the morning and God is still on his throne.)

Is Google Earth a stand alone program on your computer that you would click on an icon to access it?

24 posted on 01/31/2013 12:35:41 PM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: Grams A

I am truly sorry for your loss. :(

25 posted on 01/31/2013 12:40:38 PM PST by EveningStar ("What color is the sky in your world?" -- Frasier Crane)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

That’s correct.

26 posted on 01/31/2013 12:52:06 PM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

I should add that the Android/iOS version is rather crippled compared to the Windows/*nix/OSX version.

27 posted on 01/31/2013 12:53:14 PM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)

Thank you

28 posted on 01/31/2013 1:11:29 PM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

Google Earth is fascinating and fun. Have had it for years. No problems. Give me your lat/lon and in about a minute I’ll tell you what color your roof is and whether or not your car/truck was in the driveway or not.

29 posted on 01/31/2013 1:32:09 PM PST by houeto (https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)

To: houeto
Google Earth is fascinating and fun. Have had it for years.

Did you have to pay for it? I just went to the website and they showed a Google Earth Pro that you had to pay for.......Is that what you have?

30 posted on 01/31/2013 2:27:28 PM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: Dead Corpse

She’s a hottie all right, and she’s married to the biggest dork in Phoenix. Sawed off little p**ck with short-man syndrome. I don’t know how it’s possible.

31 posted on 01/31/2013 2:39:50 PM PST by Cyber Liberty (Obama considers the Third World morally superior to the United States.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

I will say Google Earth is the most wonderful amazing app. I was blown away the first time I saw it and I’m blown away every time I go back to it.

32 posted on 01/31/2013 8:00:24 PM PST by DManA

“Is Google Earth a stand alone program on your computer that you would click on an icon to access it?”

It’s a web based application that places an icon on your desktop, click it and the world is yours.

There are a lot of add-ons for it in .kzm file format that overlay additional data. I have one for Lewis and Clark that maps their entire route and another one that overlays a topographic map.

If you don’t have it you’re missing a lot of fun. You can set the zoom/elevation view and “fly” anywhere you like.

33 posted on 01/31/2013 8:35:09 PM PST by Rebelbase ( .223, .224, whatever it takes....)

Did you have to pay for it? I just went to the website and they showed a Google Earth Pro that you had to pay for.......Is that what you have?

Google Earth Pro has many features that I don't need. I've always just downloaded the free app...Google Earth.

34 posted on 01/31/2013 8:35:40 PM PST by houeto (https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: married21

Bump.

35 posted on 01/31/2013 8:42:04 PM PST by Graewoulf ((Traitor John Roberts' Commune Obama"care" violates Anti-Trust Laws, AND the U.S. Constitution.))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Are Google Earth's satellite images up to date?

The reason I ask is that if I Mapquest my house and zoom in, it's my house as it looked a few years ago......

Outside of metropolitan areas worldwide, also expect very poor resolution images. Anything smaller than a large house and you're out of luck.

No question that many amazing things would be discovered, and mysteries solved if in fact the entire planet coverage were high resolution.

Currently, that simply isn't the case.

36 posted on 01/31/2013 11:42:55 PM PST by publius911 (Look for the Union Label -- then buy something else)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

That’s correct.

I don't think so.
If you must be connected to the internet to use it, it is not "stand alone."

37 posted on 01/31/2013 11:48:26 PM PST by publius911 (Look for the Union Label -- then buy something else)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: Rebelbase
I had been using it for some time tracking flyover airline traffic(w/Flightwise kmz's)with a high altitude chart overlay, showing the aircraft on particular airways and making turns at designated(flight-plan)way-points.

...but in the last year or so GE has become painfully slow(map loading, cursor movement, etc.)that I just don't use it much anymore. Not sure though what the problem is/was(settings? too many KMZ's? video drivers?...).

38 posted on 01/31/2013 11:56:23 PM PST by RckyRaCoCo (Shall Not Be Infringed)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: publius911; Hot Tabasco
Publius, you're answering a different question from what was asked.

HT asked if it was stand-alone, with its own icon. As opposed to being a website accessed through a standard web browser. I answered correctly that it is.

Your issue is different; it touches on the location of the data. You correctly note that an internet connection is necessary. While Google Earth can be augmented with the user's own locally stored data, the data provided by Google are all stored on and accessed through the internet.

39 posted on 02/01/2013 2:33:17 AM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: publius911; Hot Tabasco
Outside of metropolitan areas worldwide, also expect very poor resolution images. Anything smaller than a large house and you're out of luck.

With respect, that's a glass half-full vs glass half-empty matter. A surprising amount of truly undeveloped land, even in the depths of the third-world, is available at high (~1m GSD) resolution.

Get the app and go exploring.

40 posted on 02/01/2013 2:44:07 AM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: ArrogantBustard; publius911
HT asked if it was stand-alone, with its own icon. As opposed to being a website accessed through a standard web browser. I answered correctly that it is.

Yes AB, you understood my question perfectly even tho it may have appeared vague..... Thanks

41 posted on 02/01/2013 3:03:43 AM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

It wouldn't download, it said I was using an outdated installer and recommended I download Google Chrome.

Do I want to do that?

42 posted on 02/01/2013 3:37:38 AM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

Checking things out ... stand by for an answer.

43 posted on 02/01/2013 3:47:09 AM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

OK ...

I am browsing with Firefox v18.0.1 on Windows XP Pro SP3. I went to http://www.google.com/earth/index.html and hit the “Download Google Earth” button on upper right corner. At the next page, I unchecked the “Include Google Chrome etc.” radio buttons and hit the “Agree and Download” button below the legalese. This downloaded an executable installer. I ran the executable installer and it in turn downloaded and installed Google Earth ... current version appears to be 7.0.2.8415, at least on Windows.

Not sure what the problem might be; perhaps you need to update your browser?

I don’t use Chrome, but it has its fans.

44 posted on 02/01/2013 4:01:34 AM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

Still couldn't complete the download. Here is an error message I got:

Google update installation failed with error 0x80040714

Then when I checked out the Google groups to see what they were saying about it, I saw this error message:

You are using a version of Internet Explorer which Google Groups no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly. Upgrade to a modern browser, such as Google Chrome.

I'm running Windows XP with Internet Explorer version 8.....

45 posted on 02/01/2013 5:11:57 AM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

Internet Explorer is currently at version 9.

FWIW.

Don’t know if upgrading it is something you want to do or not.

Lots of browsers out there, and you can have more than one installed. They’re just hawking their browser.

46 posted on 02/01/2013 8:15:28 AM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Do you know anything about Google Chrome web browsing?

Well, let's just say that if you use Chrome, Google knows everything about you. Of course, they likely do anyway, unless you're exceedingly paranoid in your browsing setup.

47 posted on 02/01/2013 8:18:42 AM PST by kevkrom (If a wise man has an argument with a foolish man, the fool only rages or laughs...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

Internet Explorer is currently at version 9.

IE-9 is not available for Windows XP. Looks like I need to load Chrome if I want Google Earth.......

I'll give it some thought, thank you AB......

48 posted on 02/01/2013 2:12:45 PM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

Firefox on XP worked for me.

49 posted on 02/01/2013 2:14:00 PM PST by ArrogantBustard (Western Civilization is Aborting, Buggering, and Contracepting itself out of existence.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

Tried downloading Chrome and it wouldn’t load........ will try Firefox. Thanks

50 posted on 02/01/2013 3:15:12 PM PST by Hot Tabasco (Jab her with a harpoon or just throw her from the train......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson