Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Simple Anthrax prevention: Cipro 500 mg OR Doxy 100 mg twice daily prior to anthrax exposure
Treatment of Biological Warfare Casualties, Headquarters Departments of The Army, Navy and Marines ^

Posted on 10/08/2001 8:54:43 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM

Short version: Cipro 500 mg OR Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg every 12 hours prior to imminent biological attack-- simple important info

This information has been condensed from Treatment of Biological Warfare Agent Casualties, Headquarters Departments of The Army, The Navy and The Air Force and Commandant, Marine Corps

Washington, DC
17 July 2000
Field Manual No. 8-284
NAVMED P-5042
Air Force Manual (Interface) No. 44-156
Marine Corps MCRP 4-11.1C

Please see the website linked above for full information on detection, diagnosis, treatment, etc. I hope you find this helpful.
--Dr. Brian Kopp (proud2brc)

Anthrax, Plague and Tularemia are the only biological germ warfare agents for which pre-exposure prophylaxis (taking antibiotics before exposure to prevent infection) is available. Standard prophylaxis is:

Cipro 500 mg every 12 hours prior to imminent anthrax attack
OR Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg every 12 hours prior to imminent anthrax attack

Cipro is very expensive and much more likely to cause side effects. It cannot be used with children because it causes premature growth plate closure. Unless there are no alternatives and the child’s life is in danger, do not use Cipro in pediatric patients.

Darby Drug and other medical catalogues carry Doxycycline 100mg, quantity 500, for approximately $50, if you or a close friend or relative is a pharmacist or doctor or dentist who can order these drugs wholesale.

If 5 individuals are to be prophylaxed with Doxycycline, they will need 10 tabs per day. Optimally, prophylaxis should start 12 hours prior to imminent anthrax attack. Since there is obviously no way to predict if an when such attack is imminent, a prudent decision must be made as to which individuals are most at risk. Those individuals may need to take Doxycycline indefinitely. Thousands of teenagers take Doxycycline for extended periods for acne with few side effects, so there is no real fear of problems with chronic Doxycycline use.

Five individuals taking Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for a month will require 300 tabs. At $50 per bottle of 500, this works out to $30 per month, or $6 per person per month, a reasonable investment if attack is truly a possibility.

For those allergic to Doxycycline, Cipro can be purchased for approximately $500 per 100 tablets. I would strongly recommend asking local physicians to donate samples, and a pharmacist may be able to purchase both Cipro and Doxycycline at far lower prices than those quoted here.

Most docs have samples of Cipro on their shelves, but they may not want to give it away at this point. It is the drug of choice as prophylaxis, they know that, and they will keep it for themselves and family and friends.

If you are concerned and want a prescription for Doxycycline, just ask your doctor for one. If they resist...play on their guilt:

"Oh c'mon, doc, I know you have cipro samples for yourself. The least you can do is write me an Rx to put my mind at ease. You know that Doxycycline is harmless, cheap, and a good prophylaxis for anthrax and plague. How about writing an Rx for me. I'll probably never take it, but it will at least let me sleep at night."

Any kind of doc can write for this, i.e., MD's, dentists (they prescribe it for gum disease all the time, they should have no problem Rx'ing this), podiatrists. Ask for a two month supply per person. That's equal to 120 Doxycycline 100 mg tablets per person. Don't take it unless you have good reason to believe there has been a release. But get the prescription filled so you have it on the shelf.

Anthrax

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis:
OR Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg every 12 hours prior to imminent anthrax attack.

Post-exposure Prophylaxis:
Use immunization with chemoprophylaxis to prevent the clinical manifestation of the disease. Chemoprophylaxis is recommended as an adjunct to immunization for post-exposure prophylaxis.

Cipro 500 mg every 12 hours for at least 4 weeks.
OR Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg every 12 hours for at least 4 weeks.

Plague

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis:
OR Doxycycline hyclate 100 mg every 12 hours prior to imminent anthrax attack; discontinue if the employment of plague BW can be excluded.

Doxycycline 100 mg orally every 12 hours for one week or Cipro 500 mg orally every 12 hours for one week.

Tularemia

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis: Chemoprophylaxis given for anthrax or plague (ciprofloxacin, doxycycline) may confer protection against tularemia, based on in vitro susceptibilities.

Doxycycline 100 mg orally every 12 hours for 2 weeks; or tetracycline 500 mg orally every 6 hours for 2 weeks; or
ciprofloxacin 500 mg orally every 12 hours for 2 weeks.
Melioidosis, Q Fever, Brucellosis, Glanders:
No antibiotic prophylaxis available

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-59 next last

1 posted on 10/08/2001 8:54:43 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: proud2bRC
Thanks!
2 posted on 10/08/2001 8:59:23 PM PDT by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Good info...thank you.
3 posted on 10/08/2001 8:59:50 PM PDT by copycat

somebody better check to see if bin Laden bought stock in the makers of Cipro.
4 posted on 10/08/2001 9:00:04 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender

Doxycycline 100 mg orally every 12 hours for 2 weeks

I have four bottles of Doxy. I also have a four year old and a 9 month old-is this medication safe for children of this age? I am still nursing my son (9 mos.)..any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

5 posted on 10/08/2001 9:00:14 PM PDT by riri

Doxycycline from my distributor costs $27.00 for 500 100mg tablets. Veterinarians use doxycycline routinely for treatment of Rickettsial diseases.
6 posted on 10/08/2001 9:03:08 PM PDT by vetvetdoug

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

To: riri
Cipro is often prescribed for urinary tract infections.
8 posted on 10/08/2001 9:03:44 PM PDT by AuntToots
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Um, don't you have to have a prescription to get this?
9 posted on 10/08/2001 9:03:56 PM PDT by CheneyChick

First off, be reminded women, that if you take the BirthControl pill anitbiotics will interfere with its effectiveness. Also, women suffer from "female" issues when taking antibiotics for an extended amount of time. This isn't a criticism of the post, just a reminder.
10 posted on 10/08/2001 9:05:32 PM PDT by diotima

To: All
Serious question: Does anybody know if anthrax causes discoloration one's mucous the way other illnesses can (i.e. turn your snot yellow or green)?
11 posted on 10/08/2001 9:07:08 PM PDT by American Soldier
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

We already have the doxy in house.
12 posted on 10/08/2001 9:08:54 PM PDT by Carry_Okie

To: JoeEveryman
A little off topic...but is anyone else getting probed by any of the following:....

I could answer yes if your list contained the option......

a delicious red head named Ginger

13 posted on 10/08/2001 9:09:22 PM PDT by hole_n_one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Whatever you do, do not convince yourself that we are under "imminent threat of attack." You don't want to start taking this stuff only to take it for months on end, screw up your system, and then worsen the efficacy of the drug when you may REALLY need it. Just something to keep in mind.
14 posted on 10/08/2001 9:12:35 PM PDT by July 4th

To: riri
Doxy may cause tooth discoloration and growth impediments in children under 8 years old. It does pass through breast milk and should not be used by nursing mothers. Finally, it is teratogenic = known to cause birth defects in developing baby. Pregnant women beware.
15 posted on 10/08/2001 9:14:28 PM PDT by Lizzy W
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: July 4th
I made this very clear.

From my article above:

Don't take it unless you have good reason to believe there has been a release. But get the prescription filled so you have it on the shelf.

16 posted on 10/08/2001 9:15:41 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

I am a CphT and we got calls 2 wks ago asking us to call md's for 8 wks of cipro therapy, twice daily $5 a pill.We called the MD's with these requests and were told by several 1. Insurance companies will not pay for the lengthy treatment, 2. people cannot afford it and 3.the treatment is useless prior for that length of time due to the fact your system will reject it it and weaken your ability to fight anthrax.

So we've been seeing this type of panic, I cannot count how many Doxy I filled just today! People the time to get it in you is before its rendered useless after 'overuse'. They caught that 2nd victim early, antibiotic therapy should help, but it won't be 'just' tablets, he needs shots!

Please save your money and make sure your not killing your system with overdosing on antibiotic and breaking your banks.<p. And remember when you kill 'bad' bacteria you must replace it with good bacteria in order to fight the fight inside of you.

17 posted on 10/08/2001 9:16:26 PM PDT by JustPiper

Now if Bin Laden will give me a two week heads up on when he'll spray us I'll be ok.
18 posted on 10/08/2001 9:16:30 PM PDT by Robert Lomax

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

To: Lizzy W
thanks
20 posted on 10/08/2001 9:17:47 PM PDT by riri
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-59 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson